Halion Sonic 7 - init volume

Hi

Can anyone explain why the initial volume on Halion is so much lower than other VSTs? Including other Steinberg plugins like PadShop.

The master volume is set to “full” (i.e. 0dB) but I need to add about 6dB to match the initial volume of other synths and samplers. Am I missing something? Thanks

I’ve been having the same issue and I might have a partial answer for you. There’s these two yellow meters to the left of the piano roll.

If you haven’t adjusted those I would change that. The one on the left changes the tune and I’m not sure exactly what the one on the right does but it seems to change volume and possibly add vibrato/reverb or something (I tried it on some marimbas once and it was weird).

You can also change the level knob which is supposed to change the gain but I find the meter to the left of the piano roll is still necessary for that to have any effect.

My current issue is that that meter resets every time I load up reaper. I’ve made a post here, which no one has responded to as of yet. I think I have to mess with the CC settings but I can’t figure out how to do that because nothing happens when I try to right click on it. I might try to learn more about automation to figure this out, if someone happens to come across this and can help me out too that would be much appreciated. Anyways, sorry that this is the best answer I have, hope it helps.

Hi thanks for replying.

Unfortunately that doesn’t address the issue with Halion (to be honest I’d forgotten all about this post.) But let me instead explain to you what those yellow “meters” are. The left one is Pitch Bend control, and the right one is Modulation (midi CC1). Most MIDI keyboards have these as standard, and they are 99% located on the left side of the keys, like in the Halion representation. Most times they are wheels but you also get them as touch sensitive ribbons.

As you correctly noticed, moving the Pitch Bend control will alter the pitch (or “tuning” as you put it.) There is sometimes a setting in the VST for how far this moves, but the standard is a whole tone/step up, and a whole tone down. If the VST allows, you can set this to move a lot further or a lot less when you use the Pitch Bend - from jumping octaves to shifting just a few cents (the smallest possible tuning change.) The pitch bend will reset to zero (which is in the middle of the control) once you stop clicking or let go of the controller (if you have a wheel on your keyboard, it will have a spring and physically returns to the middle when you let go).

CC1 (the Modulation wheel) can change any parameter, it varies from one VST to the next, and even from one preset to the next. So, it can change volume, vibrato rate, filter frequency - almost any VST parameter you can think of can be mapped to the CC1 control. You can even control multiple paramaters at the same time, depending on the VST. So for example, the Modulation wheel can be set to open a filter and increase distortion at the same time when you move it. This sort of thing is very common and useful in electronic music production. In the picture you posted, you’re using the Halion orchestra and you can see that the “Expression” is being controlled by Modulation - this can have a similar effect to controlling volume, but it’s a bit more sophisticated than that when you’re talking about orchestral samplers.

The reason it “resets” every time you open Reaper is because it goes to its default value (0) and is waiting for input from you. The Modulation value will stay where it is when you let go - it doesn’t spring back to zero like the pitch wheel.

Both Pitch and Modulation can be automated in your track.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Thank you! I found a way to automate the modulation in my track, the added details are very helpful though I’ll try to make use of that. I just figured that changing the modulation/expression would help but it seems you already knew about that which means it doesn’t help with your point. It also seems that you have more experience with the software then I do so I’ll see what others who are more experienced than I have to say about your question. Anyways thank you for the info.

1 Like

No problem - I think I’ve solved the issue since posting, but can’t remember how and forgot about posting the question. All good!

1 Like

Hi Anthony, do you remember how you solved the volume issue? I have same. Initial volume is much lower.

Hi Ru
I honestly don’t I’m afraid. It all happened in the middle of installing a whole lot of libraries and new interface so there was a lot of general tweaking and setup going on, including just getting accustomed to the DAW again.

Are you running it standalone or in Cubase? I’ve just tested it now to do an A/B against a Kontakt instrument and the difference is minimal. Halion is slightly quieter but nowhere near the -6db I initially posted, which is half the loudness. So, on my side it seems okay now and I can’t be sure why. Who knows, it could have been something like a system reboot that changed things? Sorry I can’t be more help.

Thanks for your answer, I think I passe this one to Greg on the live stream, maybe he can help. I noticed it first after installing absolute and I played the piano’s and FM keyboards, they have very low volume/dynamic. Even thought it would make a difference witch controller to us, but still same.
Iám using stand alone and within cubase. Within cubase it is little louder.

Regards, Ruud

That’s a good idea! Would you mind posting here if you manage to find anything out?

What I ended up doing was writing in the modulation in the envelope for the instrument–in the DAW I was using. The modulation for Halion Sonic Orchestra was set to expression. If I was using a lot of instruments I just set up a track to the modulation where I wanted it, then routed that via sending it to all my other tracks. Not sure if that will work with absolute and FM keyboards, I don’t have those. I hope it does.

Hi thanks for your suggestion.
I’ll give that a go.