Heads Up! New update - Plugin Alliance crash Cubase PRO8!

I didn’t tried it yet with the new v9 from UAD… But I let you know in a few days…

anybody already on Cubase Pro 9 having issues with PA plugins?

Same problems here with PA plugins and Cubase 9. Cubase crashes all the time.

I would advise to contact PA and provide them with precise repro-steps and the crash dumps.

Some workarounds that helped a few PA users:
Remove any connected USB flash drives from your system
Try removing the VST3 version of your plugins and only use VST2
Deactivate the LAN adapter in Device Manager
Deactivating hyper-threading in the bios settings

I’m keen on thinking this is an interaction and not a ‘direct crash’. In my case, it only occurs in combination with FabFilter.

The repro steps that worked almost every time on my system:
– Insert a PA VST3 plug-in (specify plug-in, version, VST SDK)
– Insert a FF plug-in (specify plug-in, version, VST SDK)
– Keep the GUIs open
– Repeat the first two steps (7-8 total instances usually do the trick here)
→ After a few plug-in insertions, the meters in all plug-ins and Cubase itself become sluggish, plug-ins cannot be closed anymore, the GUI becomes more and more unresponsive until it freezes completely, eventually leading to a crash.

NOTE: Severity of the crash may vary from a ‘soft crash’ which allows to close Cubase and restart the application without too much trouble, to a ‘hard crash’ rendering the whole OS unresponsive and causing HD spikes and bursts of white noise before crashing.

if the crash occurs is a different way for other people, please try to identify steps like I did above (in Italic) and let PA know. It really is necessary to provide them with information which closely describe the environment and how the crash occurs.

I currently use only PA VST2 and reverted to 2014 versions - I just completed a project with SPL Transient, De-Esser and Elysia Alpha which also had several Pro-G instances with no issues.

Going to install some PA updates and try to repro again when time allows - if the issue occurs for me still, I’m going to report it as well.

these PA plugs i have installed have always and are still working fine…
(and they have been working fine from purchase through the last versions of Cubase)

(Cubase 9 / win 7 x64 / vst3)

Brainworx bx_refinement v 1.1.0.0’
Noveltech Character v 1.6.0.0
ProAudioDSP DSM V2 v 2.4.0.0
SPL De-Essers v 1.5.0.0
SPL Transient Designer v1.8.0.0
SPL Vitalizer MK2-T v 1.8.0.0

Hi Folks,
only a short feedback on this topic.
Some legacy VST2 plugins work so far without problems. But really so far!

The biggest problems are currently with the Brainworx rooms reverb and other new plugins.

And there are no legacy versions available.

And do not work under Cubase 9.

…still the same, latest plugin version crashes cubase 9 latest.
Legacy versions are super stable in comparison.

Hey brainworx and plugin alliance: Superb Plugins ! But Cubase crashing immediately :cry:
I cannot buy any new stuff from you, although having bought a special deal recently
Help Us, please :exclamation:

Morning,
last infos,
The new Lindell TE100 update works for me (Win10, Cubase 9.0.10).

I am urgently waiting for a Barainworx rooms update. Which fixes this problem.

And of course, legacy versions are not a permanent solution!!!

They still sells current plugins without any warning.

I cannot buy any new stuff from you

That´s the point, no we can´t!

Hi folks,
today I worked with the Brainworx Opto (VST2)
It causes a stuttering of the audio tracks.
The complete project is is stuttering, not only the track with the Brainworx Opto. You must remove the plugin from the project and start the project again!

Greetings,
Frank

This is a problem I have really been suffering with… enough to make me begin to transition to Studio One. I was familiar with some of the “fixes” Fabio mentioned above (to no avail), but had never heard of disabling my network adapter. After two pretty extensive mixing sessions with PA plugs with my network adapter disabled tonight, I did NOT experience a crash, and I can promise you I would have gotten a crash otherwise.

I’m sure that won’t work for everyone, and it’s a pretty inconvenient “fix” at that (although I was able to set a shortcut on the desktop to quickly disable/enable the network adapter). But for now, I’m much happier than I was before seeing Fabio’s post.

If you disable your network adapter, you lose your waves licenses…

There is nothing that PA does that UAD doesn’t do 10x better with no crashes and much better quality. I’ve got 3 CL1 plugs, the one I go to every time is the UAD one, same with bx. If you’re using PA, you can probably afford the dime for a UAD octo. Much better option IMO. I’ve been using UAD for over a decade, it’s always just worked.

Hi,
There were times when PA plugins worked excellently. And the SPL plugins are very good. UAD is certainly good, and Waves as well. There are certainly overlaps, but PA also has plugins you only find there.

They are currently working on the known issues, but it should take several months (maybe summer…2017).
And this will not pass them without damage.

The VST users have big problems, which also costs time and money.

This weekend, Millennia TCL-2 Test. No chance for Cubase users, Noise!!!
And there is still no hint at the PA- page.

Greetings

I’ve been happily running the VST3 version of BX_Boom up, under Cubase 8.5.3, until a Windows 7 64 update last week. Since then, projects have been locking up completely within 20 seconds of playback. I’ve isolated the issue to BX_Booom vst3 dated 11th Dec 2016.

Unfortunately, for me, removing the VST3 version and using the 64 bit VST2 version also crashes my projects.

I’ve attached a screen grab of what Windows Update updated

Hi,
The most important at all, please contact the PA support.
They sell the plugins without a hint of the current problems.

All new Brainworx plugins run neither as VST3 nor as VST2. (Which I have tested)

Cubase 8.5 and 9. Win7 and 10!!

Yep, already done.

That’s good, the more people that contact them the better… although i wouldn’t hold my breath.

I stopped buying anything from them as well, I contacted them month ago and nothing happened in the meantime. At first I thought it was my Computer but it is definitely their Native plug ins that are unusable with Cubase 8-9.
I lost lots of time and nerves tracking down the issue but it is their plugins that crash/freeze the system.
All other companies work fine e.g. Waves/Slate/Softube even the UAD Versions of their Plug work.
It is unbelievably that the issue is known for years but cant be resolved!

Hi everyone, we had further communication with Plugin Alliance recently, I sent some details via development to help them reproduce the issue and they were able to.
They are working on solutions already, hopefully this will be resolved soon - should I have details or news, I’ll post back here.

Best,

Thanks Fabio.
2 years since the thread started, but still :slight_smile:
It’s not Steinberg’s fault though.