Help working with text styles

I’m new to Dorico. I’m working on a musical theatre production with a fair amount of stage direction and dialogue noted into the score. I’ve defined text styles for each.

I need help speeding up my workflow when entering dialogue. Currently, I click the staff in the spot where I want to place the dialogue, press ‘shift-x’ to invoke the text popover. Then click the style box in the upper left and choose either ‘Dialogue - big’ or ‘Dialogue - small’ in the drop-down menu before I enter my text. Each line of dialogue requires the same process.

Is there a way I can speed this up? At the very least, it would be helpful if the popover retained my last style selected, but it always returns to the default, so I have to reach for my mouse and navigate through a drop-down menu for each new line of dialogue I enter. I can get the job done, but I’d love to have a faster entry method.

Alternately, I thought about the ‘lyric popover’ to facilitate dialogue, but as far as I can see, there is no way to assign lyrics to a rest, enter ‘a space’, or create a carriage return for a second or third line.

Anybody out there handling dialogue in a better way than the way that I’ve described? Any faster workflow tips? Thanks in advance.

Additionally, I’d like to place all my dialogue text ‘below the staff’ to match the placement of my lyrics, but I couldn’t find a way to globally define this behavior in my custom paragraph style. Any help accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, as for the ‘stage direction’ system text style, it would ideal if I could define which layouts this text is to appear on, and where in the score this should be placed. Only the vocalists need this text in the parts, and I don’t need it at the top the full score like the rest of the system text. I’d prefer to place this text above the top staff of my vocal section in the score only.

Paragraph Styles appear in the “Create Text” menu item, in the Write menu. You can assign shortcuts to particular styles, (in the same way that Shift X is Default style).

Thanks, although I’m not seeing a way to set up a key command for my custom text style. i.e. I don’t see my custom text style listed in the key command/text drop down list. Are you saying that your custom text styles appear in this assignable key commands list? I’m new to Dorico so perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place. " I’m looking in KeyCommands/Text/" Thanks.

You’ll find “Create Text” under Note Input, curiously. You should also be able to type the name of your Para Style into the search field.

I also have a problem with collisions and my custom text styles. Is there a way to set the padding of a custom text style? I couldn’t find a setting to set padding and avoid collisions. I.e. I’d like Dorico to adjust how many systems displayed on a page, as to not collide things on the page – provide some white space above and below my ‘stage direction’ and ‘dialogue’ text so they don’t overlap with music. I could begin adjusting all of these systems in Engrave mode, but the music is still being arranged and these texts will no doubt change throughout the rehearsal process. I just want a legible rehearsal score throughout the arranging and rehearsal process. Any suggestions? Auto-vertical spacing would really help.
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 9.19.17 AM.png

Bill, I agree that this is not the preferred behavior for staff text. This was discussed a couple months ago, and I think I remember Daniel saying that they had not intended rehearsal marks or staff text to be included in margin collision avoidance, because they wanted the top staff of every frame to be equidistant from the top of the page.

I would certainly also prefer to have at least the option to include these in collision avoidance, because my rehearsal marks regularly collide with the top of the music frame. For now, your best bet is to move them in engrave mode, or in page setup, increase the music frame margins.

For what it’s worth, I typically only run into this issue if the rehearsal mark or staff text is attached to the first system of a music frame. If it’s in the middle, Dorico spaces the other staves correctly to avoid collision, in my experience. It does indeed adjust systems automatically. You could also increase the Ideal Gap values in Vertical Spacing, or the system spacing.

Thanks Dan. Yes, the collision at the head of the first page is consistent. Maybe I can set all my first flow pages with an accommodating music frame? I’m so new to Dorico that I haven’t figured out how to do this yet.

The rest of these texts, if not colliding, are positioned so close to the surrounding content that it would be great to force some padding around them as a default. It seems staff and system text have been designed to accommodate a single line of text vertically. If two or three lines high (i.e. a paragraph) is desired, the padding around these is reduced to a handful of pixels at best. Perhaps a compromise could be reached for generally legibility. I can manually adjust these for now, but in the future it would be huge time saver to have a better looking score and parts right out of the gate – specifically for musical theatre type work. These are specific timed events so they must to be attached to the bars – system and staff texts are the only available options for that as far as I can tell.

Quite easily, yes. Double click on the first master page to edit it. Then grab the top of the music frame and drag it down a bit. Copy layout from left to right, apply, close.

1. Yes you can input lyrics at any rhythmic position within a bar.
    Lyrics are not necessarily bounded to a note but to a rhythmic position.
    BTW I find this a really great feature!

2. Yes you can enter a space and create multi syllable lyrics:
    Press Shift-Alt-Space to enter multiple words on a single note.

3. You cannot create a carriage return but you can use lyric line number:
    Press Down Arrow to change the lyric line number.

4. Additionally you can easily assign an italic style to any lyric in the properties panel.

I use these functions to write dialogs in my musical scores.

I wonder, idly, whether adding an empty line with a single space at the top and bottom of your text items would be a low-tech way of providing some ersatz padding.