Hide articulations

Does anyone know if their is a way to hide articulations? I’m writing a piece that has a passage of a lot of staccato eighth notes (quavers) in a row. I only want the staccato dots to appear on the first four, with “sim.” to appear above the next one to notify the performer to continue to play staccato. However, I still want all of the notes to play back as staccato. As far as I can tell, there is no playing technique for simile, so I want to have “sim.” as normal text with hidden staccato dots. I have tried using Engrave Mode to set the opacity of the dots to 0%, so they would be transparent, and I have also tried setting the scale to 0%, so that they would be infinitesimally small, and therefore invisible. These actions seem to be tied to the notes themselves, so they cannot be adjusted without affecting the actual notes. As far as I can tell, there is no playing technique for staccato, and the spiccato playing technique does not affect playback.

Hi Thatvoilaguy!
I think you’re right, I don’t know any workaround to use a sim. marking with the correct playback. I would like that too.

It’s outside my comfort zone, but I could have sworn there are continuation settings within the Playing Techniques Editor. I may be wrong, of course!

There are continuation types for playing techniques, but the problem is that articulations (staccato dots etc in the left hand panel) are not playing techniques (in the right hand panel).

You can define a playing technique for the word “staccato” (or even a dot) and get a “sim” continuation in the score, but then you hit the problem that you can’t set the corresponding playback technique to shorten the written note durations, because that bit of the Dorico expression maps hasn’t been implemented yet.

Also the vertical position rules for playing techniques and articulations are different, so if you define a playing technique that looks like a staccato dot, it won’t be automatically be positioned correctly.

In other words “we’re not quite there yet,” but you can just about see how all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together eventually!

This is currently my best workaround:

It it far less than ideal, but it gets the job done. I guess I’ll have to wait for them to add hideable articulations or continuous articulation text in an update for a better solution. Thanks to MarcLarcher, pianoleo, and Rob Tuley for responding.

Searched for the same - no solution.
Another option of course would be like in Sibelius that you could determine the note duration - but that’s also not yet possible in Dorico :neutral_face:

If all you care about is playback without changing the notation, can’t you just edit it in Play mode?

Start with this:

Drag the selected notes back and you have this:

I’m not sure there’s a way to do it with mathematical precision though. Something like Right-click/Modify Duration/50% would be a welcome feature in Play mode.

great idea !

How about a large value in the Y offset? Enough to push them off the page…

I feel this should work by creating a new playing technique (PT) (“sim.”) and reference the normal staccato as the playback playing technique (PPT) … oh well, will test it out first thing when back in the studio tomorrow :slight_smile:

I don’t thing that will do the whole job. The staccato playing technique will change the playback samples (if the library has them and the expression map is set up), but in the current version of Dorico I don’t think the expression map or playing technique can change the duration of the notes (though there is a field in the expression map editor that says it does that!).

Articulations are different, because there are only a fixed set of them (in the left hand panel in write mode) and you can change their effect in the Playback Options menu.

Well… my assumption did in fact work, although the PT lane is in slight disagreement with reality (on my W7 machine anyway) :slight_smile:
(the sim. PT uses the default staccato as PPT)

Here is yet another example of why it would be useful to have the ability to selectively hide/show any item on the score.

These situations are not precisely the same, but they are related:

Any news / workarounds for hiding staccato-articulations?

No. You will know when a new feature is added to the software because we will document it. We don’t add things to the software and keep them secret. We also cannot, sadly, address every possible feature request in a single update.

You can define a playing technique “staccato” and select “staccato” as the corresponding playback playing technique; in the Edit Playback Playing Techniques dialog set “Articulation type” to “Direction”.
Now in the score select those adjacent notes which should played back as staccato notes and give them the newly created playing technique “staccato”. They are played as staccato corresponding to the Expression Map you use though they are not dotted.