Hiding piano pedal lines

New at Dorico (been waiting since v1 until Dorico was good enough to jump ship from my once-beloved but now lagging Sibelius - 3.0 finally was good enough!). For piano parts, I’m used to using pedal lines to approximate a piano’s sustain, then just hiding them. Apparently not possible in Dorico, how should this be done? I only care about approximating the performance, not actually notating every pedal change in the piece.

On a related note, harp doesn’t seem to sustain at all?

thx,
Stephen

1 Like

When you hide the pedal line completely, you get a signpost that can be selected as needed. You can filter-select all pedal lines and hide them this way in one fell swoop.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to manually hide pedal lines using the Properties panel, another option is to simply write in the pedal instructions using data in the MIDI controller lane in Play mode, assigning values to controller 64 as you find necessary.

1 Like

Ooo, neat trick. Thanks for that. I use hidden pedal lines to simulate an arpeggiation effect on Plucked Strings.

Thanks Dan and Daniel! I saw the continuation type of None, but it still left “Ped”. Didn’t see a “None” option for sign appearance. Not sure what “hook” means. I’ll have to play around with the MIDI version as well, but using pedal lines is probably the easier to manage.

“Hook” just refers to what sort of preliminary material you want to display: the pedal glyph and all its variants. In this case, “hook” means you just want the line by itself. But of course it’s already been hidden, so the result is Nemo.

I’m wondering if USHLT is referring to the Ped glyph that will appear on the next system, should the pedal line cross from one system to another. If that’s the case, the only real workaround is to select that sign in Engrave mode and drag it off the page.

Kinda weird behavior doing it this way. There’s no signpost shown. But in the “View->Signposts” menu, there’s an entry for Pedal Lines. So how do you ever get pedal line signposts?

Also can’t seem to select them at all once they’re hidden (selecting both piano staves through the entire flow and then filter->pedal lines shows only “Common” in the properties) unless I do a Select All on the entire score and then Filter->Pedal Lines.

I can work with it, but seems like there should be another way.

pianoleo - hadn’t noticed that :slight_smile: generally my pedal lines for playback are less than a measure, though.

Not sure what you’re doing wrong, but wait for it…

Do you have Pedal Lines checked in the signposts menu?

Ah, the signposts are above the very top staff (flute). Had not expected that. :slight_smile:

I agree that doesn’t seem intuitive. On the other hand, the signposts can really clutter up the score if they’re between staves.

Just FYI, as a new user, this is one of the very first things I tried to do - record MIDI pedal data, but not show it in the score. I was very surprised not to be able to do this very easily, like an option to toggle pedal lines display on & off in the layout options.

You can choose whether or not to create pedal lines from the pedal data you play when recording on the Play page of Preferences. If you switch off ‘Import CC64 as pedal lines’, then the sustain pedal data will still be recorded, but will not appear in the score itself as pedal lines, but instead be limited to the automation lane in Play mode.

Ah - thankyou! And if I turn that setting back on, it will then display the pedal lines for pre-existing pedal data - yes?

No, in fact it won’t work that way; it’s not dynamic.

Bugger. Close, but not what I want.

Although, that setting will still be useful. I’ll record the pedal, so it plays back using my pedalling, but doesn’t display. When I’m done, I’ll simply score the pedal with whatever symbol means “use the pedal as you see fit” - it’ll suffice for my basic stuff, when I think about it.

“Pedal ad lib.” Or don’t write anything, maybe just “legato.” Most pianists don’t want to be told how and when to pedal unless it’s compositionally significant.

this thread is a godsend. Even in the manual, I can’t see anywhere where it says what to put in the continuation type none and the Sign appearance hook for simply hiding the pedal. I never had any use for this until I recently got the CSS Solo strings but there it’s an essential feature for separating repeated notes and it far quicker to do in the score than by drawing the correct length of CC64 automation line even with this fiddle – particularly as you can do a batch at once.

I love Dorico but this is one of the things I still don’t like. Hiding (bits of) pedal lines was so much easier in Sib. In Properties you can show or hide every single thing (line, sign, hook). Why not one button (with shortcut!) that tells D to show nothing…?
In - by far - the most occasions I need just a line (no hooks) with a retake somewhere in the line. If a general hiding isn’t possible it would be helpfull if just a simple line with no hooks would be one of the engraving options.
And of course, I would very much welcome the simple possibility of hiding other things like tempo indications, dynamics etc…