High DPC Latency from Intel Network Devices

Hello,

I am currently experience higher than normal dpc latency which is caused by my intel network drivers. I am currently in the process of fixing this – hopefully. It appears to be a common problem with intel’s on board Ethernet ports, drivers, and windows 10.

In addition, I was wondering how people have been fairing with dedicated LAN Cards. I am worried of any increased latency from additional PCI-E devices if I want to upgrade to something with a faster transfer rate.

I would love to turn off my network card, but waves uses the network card for its authorization.
I already asked waves to remove this kind of protection/authorization on their plugins, but the “support guy” wasnt really bothered and probably didn’t go the extra mile to bring it up for internal discussion.
(The usb stick isn’t an option for me as my ports are already kinda maxed out and the last thing i need is another stuffed port)

But yeah, i too would like to deactivate my laptops intel network card as i know that it has caused issues in the past (with dj software - and on my system;) )

Good luck on all your systems:)

Do programs that do not produce audio and cause hard pagefaults create pops and clicks?

Yes!
programs and hardware can introduce problems.
Bad USB and FireWire hardware or drivers is also known to spike CPU usage.

Your CPU has a finite limit of “interrupt requests” it is able to service at any given time.

As for network…
I really like Killer Gb LAN, killer wifi and the Killer Shield driver on my systems.

Aside from my Network drivers. Nothing else on my system is causing high DPC latency. However, there are several windows programs which are causing high pagefaults: scvhost, intel rapid storage (not windows), and ntkernal which randomly spike to 1000 +/- a few us (whatever the latency measurement is). I found if I disable my anti virus, it helps quite a bit, but the big culprit is still the network drivers.

I do not believe I can do much about host programs locking up the CPU. I also do not see my CPU throttling so I would rather not turn that option off in my bios or control panel.

Does DPC latency checker show higher values than normal on windows 10 devices? I see it is technically not supported on windows 10. With everything streamlined and only the 1 network port on for my connection to my slave, Latencymon reported a lower latency value than DPC latency checker.

DPC Latency Checker is not supported on Windows 10 ( as in will run but is Not accurate)

Have you tried Resplendence latencymon v6.5?

That is what I have been using, I believe I mentioned it in earlier posts :slight_smile:. Hopefully I can get this problem resolved >.<

Hi Pete.
I had exactly this issue when I installed Windows 10. I resolved it by going to the Intel site and downloading the latest Intel Ethernet drivers from there (those on the ASUS motherboard website were not the very latest). This cured my issue immediately

Dave

That is the thing, I cannot seem to find the latest network or adapter drivers for my device. Is it the 20.4.1?

Mine is shown on device manager as 20.4.207.0

The latest on the Intel site just says 20.4.1 - I would use that and check if the driver installed is the same

Dave

I downloaded it and installed, it isnt showing up anywhere on my system. Technology! haha

Ok, it has now updated.

Piano Pete I really wouldn’t worry about what any software test says with the hardware you are running!

That z170 and i7-6700 has more than excellent power.
If you are properly cooling it you should have some of the best performance available.

Are you overclocking?

If your cables are Category 6 or 7 Ethernet (Cat 6) and you are running through a decent 1 Gb network switch you should not have issues.

Your mainboard has the highest available “Lanes” on the market for i7.
Any new PCI addon card should do little to affect performance on that board.

Just ensure all your drivers are not the generic Microsoft drivers, which will degrade performance.

That is the thing, I am having spikes from 10-20 to 1,000 us whenever I am doing something. The updated intel driver has helped now ndsis.sys is randomly leaping out along with some windows host programs. I have a Cat 6 cable and even if I am not using a network, I am randomly getting pops and clicks listening to wav files. I was using a steinberg UR22 when it started poping at any buffer size. I switched it out for a Focusrite 2i4 which seems to have helped some, although I am still getting some clicks. I have been running from a buffer size of 128-256 before this all started a few weeks ago when I set up my slave computer.

What do you mean by “generic windows drivers?” Which drivers should I be using instead of windows? I am currently running a very light overclock to about 4.3. I didn’t want to up the voltage or anything. Everything is stable.

Check Windows Device Manager are see that all your mainboard device drivers are not a “Generic Windows Driver” but are either Asus or the associated manufacturer.

Are those spikes without Cubase running?
1000 μs is 1000 microseconds.

1 microsecond is one millionth (0.000001 or 1/1,000,000) of a second.

Did you update to the latest 1.9.6 Yamaha Usb driver?

Yes I have had the ur22’s drivers updated.

There is nothing that says “Generic Windows Driver” but for example, Storage controllers>Asmedia and Microsoft Storage Spaces. There are also some hardpagefaults which are windows host services, again not much to do with those?

What else could be causing my pops or clicks if it isnt the DPC spikes?

I have a Steinberg interface and I’ve found it gives best latency performance at 96 kHz/24 bit.
Anything less and the latency is higher on all buffer sizes.

Take a moment to through all your drivers on both PCs (through windows device manager) and ensure that you are running the latest from the hardware manufacturers on both.
Microsoft Update can send improper drivers from time to time.

Also make sure that you have download and installed the latest of all the following Visual Studio C++ RunTimes from Microsoft download web site…

And be sure to run the Windows Update on your PCs after installing those.

Which ASIO driver are you using?