Horizontal Scrolling inverted / opposite between Windows and Mac

Answer from Cubase Support: „the scrolling behaviors is tied to the system settings in the OS“ :man_facepalming:t2: They don‘t want to understand the problem.

2 Likes

Same – all DAWs I use except Cubase are fine. And I really wish horizontal zoom-scrolling (ie cmd-scroll) matched Logic (or had a preference to switch it). I jump between Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools a lot (literally back and forth, depending on the jobs I’m given) and lack of consistency is very awkward

3 Likes

Big fat vote here. has annoyed me for years…

I am using an app called “SteerMouse” on my Mac, costs around 19 USD and it allows me to reverse mouse behavior on program level. Works for me very well actually, but still annoying that Cubase doesn’t work correct here.

Might help some of you guys.

The weird thing is that Steinberg sets “scrolling to the right” equal to “scrolling up”.
For most of us “scrolling to the right” is the same as “scrolling down”.

I am working on Windows and I haven’t found any other program so far that scrolls to the right when I turn my mousewheel up.

Maybe @Matthias_Quellmann can tell us the reason behind this special behaviour?

2 Likes

@Matthias_Quellmann I’d even go further and not ask, what “the reason is”.
The question should be: When will you solve this?
I am like hundreds of other user whishing a solution for this:
SHIFT + mousewhee-scrolldown (inside the timeline) should scroll FORWARD- not backwards.
I’ve been working with mouses since day 1 of invention - this is just not common sense how it is.

Since there’s eventually people who got used to it this, maybe it should be fixed with an “flip mousewheel axis for scrolling” option somewhere in the menu?
@Matthias_Quellmann Please help us. This has been brought up countless times.
As a crossgrader from other DAWs I can tell you this is a huge frustration
and there is no reason to “get used to it” when all the other apps do it the regular way.

Just a small selection I did quickly of “supporters” on this issue.
There is propaby many many more of us if that helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LogicPro/comments/l406cg/the_mouse_wheel_zoomscroll_tips_i_figured_out/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwig/comments/guwq7r/using_shiftscroll_wheel_to_scroll_horizontally/

1 Like

+1. Please!!! It’s really frustrating.

1 Like

+100

• it’s counterintuitive
  • it’s opposite of what any other program and window natively on every OS (except apple) does.
  • it’s opposite of all timline-based software i use.

it is impossible to get used to it, unless cubase is the only software you use.

2 Likes

Yep yep. This is damn annoying. Steinberg, please issue a fix. Why are you being so stubborn with this?

1 Like

They have seemingly corrected vertical scrolling, yet horizontal scrolling remains inversed.

This is of course substantially worse than if they’d left it alone, because now you can’t simply inverse scrolling for Cubase, as this would muck up the vertical scrolling.

1 Like

I think Steinberg needs some new blood. I get the impression that some of these older developers who have been there forever are taking their jobs for granted and are digging in their heels about certain things because they’re so much more enlightened than the actual musicians who rely on this software to get work done. It’s frustrating to say the least.

This is all conjecture, but it’s the overwhelming impression I get from certain threads where these devs are trying to explain themselves and their reasoning–which uses a whole lot of verbiage to make very complicated points that abstract the fundamental problem: the UI is getting in the way of quickly getting things done.

Don’t get me started on the disaster that is MIDI Remote. It was supposed to be complete overhaul to simplify things. I have been fighting with it constantly. It lags, it jumps, it interferes with my hardware. I hate it. It’s an overly complicated mess. It didn’t need to be.

So many developers are pulling way, way ahead from a conception and execution standpoint. Simple is good. Fast is good. RELIABLE is good.

Cubase, nay, Steinberg, need to trim some fat. Yamaha, are you listening?

1 Like

Hi,I’m new to Cubase and utterly baffled by this grotesque glitch and Steinberg’s bizarre unwillingness to fix it. Just a question regarding the X-Mouse solution: Doesn’t that also change how the mouse wheel works in applications inside Cubase such as EZdrummer? EZD uses the sane, rational principle of SHIFT + MOUSE DOWN = scroll right and SHIFT + MOUSE UP = scroll left, and it is mainly the clash between this and Cubase’s nonsensical inversion that’s driving me nuts as a new Cubase user. But won’t X-Mouse just invert the functions in both Cubase and EZD?

You can configure X-Mouse to fix Cubase’s scroll direction so that it only affects a single window. Like the main Tracks window. Then it shouldn’t affect EZD.

When I was still on Windows, I managed to configure X-Mouse so that it fixed Cubase scrolling, but didn’t affect for example ARA Melodyne extension at the bottom part of the screen.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed X-Mouse and followed the setup advice posted by Roger_Cabo_1000 here:

Unfortunately that does change the mouse wheel behaviour in EZD as well. But yeah, if I could configure X-Mouse so that it only affects the main tracks window and the piano roll window, that would be ideal. I’ll try again tomorrow. Do you remember anything regarding how you went about specifying which windows in Cubase for X-Mouse to affect?

From my experience that app does help with Cubase inverted scrolling but it breaks Melodyne scrolling when you use Melodyne inside Cubase, so it makes little sense if one has to use Melodyne extensively. If you know how to tweak X-Mouse to not affect bottom pane Melodyne please share your knowledge I’d be very grateful!

Hi, x-mouse is able to change a separate window in Cubase. You can tell x-mouse to change the scrollwheel direction exclusively in the main project window. All other windows in Cubase are not affected.

I’m also using Melodyne extensively, and I did get X-Mouse working so that it only fixes the scroll direction in the tracks window, and not Melodyne. I switched to Mac a year ago, and unfortunately I can’t remember specifically how I achieved this. But it should be found in X-Mouse settings. I think you have to create a “profile” that is activated when the mouse hovers over a certain window, in this case Cubase tracks window.

Sorry that I can’t be more specific/helpful for now!

Sorry, been busy with other stuff. Anyway, yes I found out that there’s a window selection tool in X-Mouse that lets you specify which windows in Cubase the program should affect, for example the main track window - although that does have the side effect of also inverting any mouse wheel related activity in the mixer window if you bring that up in the bottom half of the screen. But I think I can live with that. Another slightly annoying thing is the little bubble with the number 2 that pops up every time you press shift. But I’ll probably get used to it. It’s certainly better than having to deal with Cubase’s nonsensical inversions. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This is super annoying! How many times I do not know I have reported it. They don’t want to fix or don’t want to see that such a problem exists on Windows. Why do I need to use the software I paid over 500 dollars with another auxiliary software for such a basic operation? I have to run Xmouse anytime I run Cubase. And Cub. dev. team doesn’t want or can’t understand this for years. And they continuously give me a mac regarding solutions despite that I have overly said that I’m using Windows. Seriously a bothering attitude from such a professional company.

And +100 for JIROJORI’s solution, I remember I have also made this as a feature request some years ago.

+1 for , hate this