Horizontal Scrolling inverted / opposite between Windows and Mac

Yep yep. This is damn annoying. Steinberg, please issue a fix. Why are you being so stubborn with this?

1 Like

They have seemingly corrected vertical scrolling, yet horizontal scrolling remains inversed.

This is of course substantially worse than if theyā€™d left it alone, because now you canā€™t simply inverse scrolling for Cubase, as this would muck up the vertical scrolling.

1 Like

I think Steinberg needs some new blood. I get the impression that some of these older developers who have been there forever are taking their jobs for granted and are digging in their heels about certain things because theyā€™re so much more enlightened than the actual musicians who rely on this software to get work done. Itā€™s frustrating to say the least.

This is all conjecture, but itā€™s the overwhelming impression I get from certain threads where these devs are trying to explain themselves and their reasoningā€“which uses a whole lot of verbiage to make very complicated points that abstract the fundamental problem: the UI is getting in the way of quickly getting things done.

Donā€™t get me started on the disaster that is MIDI Remote. It was supposed to be complete overhaul to simplify things. I have been fighting with it constantly. It lags, it jumps, it interferes with my hardware. I hate it. Itā€™s an overly complicated mess. It didnā€™t need to be.

So many developers are pulling way, way ahead from a conception and execution standpoint. Simple is good. Fast is good. RELIABLE is good.

Cubase, nay, Steinberg, need to trim some fat. Yamaha, are you listening?

1 Like

Hi,Iā€™m new to Cubase and utterly baffled by this grotesque glitch and Steinbergā€™s bizarre unwillingness to fix it. Just a question regarding the X-Mouse solution: Doesnā€™t that also change how the mouse wheel works in applications inside Cubase such as EZdrummer? EZD uses the sane, rational principle of SHIFT + MOUSE DOWN = scroll right and SHIFT + MOUSE UP = scroll left, and it is mainly the clash between this and Cubaseā€™s nonsensical inversion thatā€™s driving me nuts as a new Cubase user. But wonā€™t X-Mouse just invert the functions in both Cubase and EZD?

You can configure X-Mouse to fix Cubaseā€™s scroll direction so that it only affects a single window. Like the main Tracks window. Then it shouldnā€™t affect EZD.

When I was still on Windows, I managed to configure X-Mouse so that it fixed Cubase scrolling, but didnā€™t affect for example ARA Melodyne extension at the bottom part of the screen.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed X-Mouse and followed the setup advice posted by Roger_Cabo_1000 here:

Unfortunately that does change the mouse wheel behaviour in EZD as well. But yeah, if I could configure X-Mouse so that it only affects the main tracks window and the piano roll window, that would be ideal. Iā€™ll try again tomorrow. Do you remember anything regarding how you went about specifying which windows in Cubase for X-Mouse to affect?

From my experience that app does help with Cubase inverted scrolling but it breaks Melodyne scrolling when you use Melodyne inside Cubase, so it makes little sense if one has to use Melodyne extensively. If you know how to tweak X-Mouse to not affect bottom pane Melodyne please share your knowledge Iā€™d be very grateful!

Hi, x-mouse is able to change a separate window in Cubase. You can tell x-mouse to change the scrollwheel direction exclusively in the main project window. All other windows in Cubase are not affected.

Iā€™m also using Melodyne extensively, and I did get X-Mouse working so that it only fixes the scroll direction in the tracks window, and not Melodyne. I switched to Mac a year ago, and unfortunately I canā€™t remember specifically how I achieved this. But it should be found in X-Mouse settings. I think you have to create a ā€œprofileā€ that is activated when the mouse hovers over a certain window, in this case Cubase tracks window.

Sorry that I canā€™t be more specific/helpful for now!

Sorry, been busy with other stuff. Anyway, yes I found out that thereā€™s a window selection tool in X-Mouse that lets you specify which windows in Cubase the program should affect, for example the main track window - although that does have the side effect of also inverting any mouse wheel related activity in the mixer window if you bring that up in the bottom half of the screen. But I think I can live with that. Another slightly annoying thing is the little bubble with the number 2 that pops up every time you press shift. But Iā€™ll probably get used to it. Itā€™s certainly better than having to deal with Cubaseā€™s nonsensical inversions. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This is super annoying! How many times I do not know I have reported it. They donā€™t want to fix or donā€™t want to see that such a problem exists on Windows. Why do I need to use the software I paid over 500 dollars with another auxiliary software for such a basic operation? I have to run Xmouse anytime I run Cubase. And Cub. dev. team doesnā€™t want or canā€™t understand this for years. And they continuously give me a mac regarding solutions despite that I have overly said that Iā€™m using Windows. Seriously a bothering attitude from such a professional company.

And +100 for JIROJORIā€™s solution, I remember I have also made this as a feature request some years ago.

+1 for , hate this

Dear @system ,

+1 please, give us the option to change the scroll behaviour in the preferences!
I am a windows user and even Dorico does it the other way round.
Suggesting to change the system wide windows settings (as can be seen in @HONEYHILL 's screenshot) is not a workaround but an arrogant suggestion, since that would change the behaviour of all other software in a bad way. We want to get cubase to behave like ā€œall other softwareā€.
So please, give us an option to select which way is ā€œrightā€. Make the current behaviour the default. Downwards compatibility saved. All happy.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Regards,
Chris

Still no change on Cubase 13ā€¦

1 Like

Grrrrrrrr.

I concur. Itā€™s backward on Cubase 13 in Windows for me too; whatā€™s worse is it works as we all would expect in Dorcio 5 on the galley view :-/

It is amazing that 14 people felt it necessary to vote for a bugfix.

Cubendo PC is possibly the only software in the universe where scrolling down brings you to the start of a view.

I donā€™t know of a single culture in the world where a page in a book would start at the bottom.

I scroll in the wrong direction 100% of the all Cubase sessions when using Shift+Mousewheel.

It is the scrolling equivalent to the Quit function opening a new project while the New function closes Cubase without saving.
It is that B-A-D.

Iā€™ve made a short video to setup AutoHotkey to force the correct scrolling behaviour for Windows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMRh4od9qRY

Hopefully this wonā€™t be necessary in the futureā€¦

Dear @TimoWildenhain @Matthias_Quellmann could you and/or your colleagues please communicate with us customers on eye level regarding this topic (I mean like just answering on this issue)?
We are paying, we are patient, we are waiting for years. For such a simple thing. Itā€™s becoming a bit weird. In Germany we call this a ā€œBurggrabenā€ situation :slight_smile:
Wouldnā€™t it be fair to get in touch with us regarding this request?

Just my personal point of view: As someone with a coding past I am pretty sure this is not a huge deal at all. That makes me wonder what Steinberg thinks? Maybe itā€™s not possible? That would be interesting to know since it seems to be very easy to accomplish.
Especially since you actually just realised the vertical zoom (which is great) in N13. Thatā€™s even 10x more complex.
A polite comment from the Steinberg team regarding this point would be great so that we donā€™t feel ignored.
Best regards from Berlin

3 Likes

absoluteley.
its just ONE BIT added from the settings (optional or as a constant, since it is just plain wrong right now by definition) added to the scrolling in timeline-windows. it costs NOTHING on CPU it is a 100% NOBRAINER for the coders. due to the nature of the thing doesnt even need exessive testing! its just a bit, flipping direction!

i think the problem is, that steinberg moved to apple as main target-audience, on those machines horizontal scrolling is now correct. and they obviuosly just give a f* for those users having used cubase for ages, those will stick anyways, theyre safe bets, but apple-useres are not, they would use garageband or logic or whatever. its capitalism baby. and it sucks! but we see u steinberg! and you should take notice @Matthias_Quellmann @TimoWildenhain. something as ridiculous as this is something that hits hard on your reputation. for me it is decades too late. i am trapped. but i never recommend cubase anymore. this bug is the reason! seriously. true thing. you ruined it. your decisionmaking failed. we dont want shiny new things, we want to work without anything in our way! we want to use software without pain. is this too much to wish for? we want vertical zoom, yes. and we want just bloody native non-brain-fuckup-horizontal scrolling.
and there is no reasoning, that this is not a bug on windows-machines, while its not on apple.

1 Like