Horrible Performance with Cubase 12

I did read the post but you have to realize that’s not an apples-to-apples comparison. Just because Native Instruments works amazing in Studio One doesn’t mean it will work amazing for Cubase. I’m not saying it isn’t Cubase’s fault but it’s more likely an issue with Cubase’s ability to work with that VST than just Cubase’s performance in general. I have Cubase 12 projects that are 20MB in size and have 5GB worth of audio events with loads of effects running flawlessly on a relatively unimpressive laptop. My projects have many midi layers with pianos, organs, drums, etc.

There’s no reason you should experience performance issues with just a handful of VSTs running. The logical conclusion is that there’s some compatibility or performance issue with the specific combination of VST + DAW. It could be something that Steinberg or Native Instruments could fix with an update, I’m not sure.

It just doesn’t make sense to absolve Native Instruments just because they work fine in Studio One, it could very easily be an issue only they could fix. If you need those VSTs it doesn’t really matter because you need them to work for you so regardless of who’s to blame, you might need to just use Studio One for now.

That said, you might still want to incorporate Cubase 12 into your workflow if you can separate it from whatever process you have that involves Native Instruments. You could generate stubs and mix in Cubase or even Master if you really want to.

True I didn’t see it at that angle but I have Invested on NI in my workflow and if thats an issue for me, I cant continue with this issue. Well I got cubase now and will be trying it out when any update comes up.

Yeah you gotta do what works for you. I primarily work in Cubase now but I still keep my copy of Adobe Audition updated because there are some things I just like better (stock single-band compressor and noise reduction processes to name a few). Cubase is probably still worth experimenting with because a lot of the stock stuff in Pro is really nice and you might find yourself at least pulling it out for some specific process.

If you are getting crashes with Cubase contact NI or the plugin maker in general. I had 2 Output plugins for a year that crashed Studio One. I reported it to Output, and didn’t hear back. I couldn’t get Splice bridge to work in S1 as well. Don’t think Spliced fixed it yet. Any plugin I buy to use in Cubase I demo it first to see how it works. I only use VST 3 plugins as well.

1 Like

If you’re doing surround mixing in Cubase, try increasing the buffer size to 1024 or 2048 - it won’t hurt at all. If you’re tracking, that’s not going to help you of course.

You nailed it!

3 Likes

I know. I updated the the latest C12.0.60 and no performance improvement. I will still be watching.

Yes, I completely agree: Steinberg is really dropping the ball in the performance department. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: ALL other considerations should be secondary to performance & stability. ALL OF THEM!

Steinberg, are you listening? Do you ever listen? Just trying to get through a session with a totally stable VST meter is impossible: it’ll be hovering around 20% and then randomly, out of absolutely nowhere, POP! 100%.

This is incredibly aggravating. LatencyMon shows my system as being tip-top for performance. I have an i9-13900K at stock clock, 64GB RAM at 6400MHz (XMP, dead stable), a Fireface UFX, and my system is running on a fast M.2 SSD along with all my sample libraries.

The performance of this product is just trash in many respects. I’m tired of it. I’m tired of being my own sysadmin when I should be enjoying making music. It never stops, it never gets any better no matter how many times I upgrade my computer.

I’m beginning to really dislike this company and the fact that Yamaha seems unwilling or unable to hold their feet to the fire and get them to focus on the stuff that is CRITICAL. Everything else, all new features, everything should be secondary to a stable, performant platform. Everything.

3 Likes

I mean… really. If the audio engine in a real-time audio manipulation piece of software needs to take precedence over all other processes that might interrupt it, that really should be a primary focus of the development team: telling Windows that nothing gets precedence over Cubase or any of its real-time audio subprocesses. Nothing. That audio stream comes first and everything else must wait in queue.

It just happened again and it just pulls me right out of the zone, every time. Audio is involving, as it should be. A single pop destroys the magic of your brain starting to imagine itself in a huge reverb space, snaps you right back to reality. And that’s no fun.

Steinberg, please, please focus on getting the most basic, critical parts of this software done correctly first. These things are what make me consider finally jumping ship.

2 Likes

I sympathise! There’s nothing more frustrating than being blocked when you’re in a creative mindset.

Cubase could be at fault here - but it could also be the plugins you are using, the audio interface driver, or some rogue background process on your machine (though latencymon will pick up those)

If you are using very low buffer sizes, this kind of sudden overload behaviour can happen quite easily.

Actually, it doesn’t pick up everything, at least not in obvious ways. I’ve had systems pass ‘latencymon’ with flying colors only to learn that some ‘driver’ in the system does ‘interrupts’ that can cause audible glitches (only when playing/monitoring projects that used direct from disk sampler Plugins, actual mixdowns an instant-rendered files were fine).

Latency mon never picked it up because the tests it ran didn’t go about simulating ‘streaming A/V’ from ‘all drives/partitions’. I finally found the issue by watching some other things ‘while working with some projects’ in real time. Noticed a prevalent and reoccurring ‘system interruption’ call. Tracked down the ‘driver’ that was doing it. Evil drivers! To make the drives ‘benchmark and perform faster’ they were doing rather ‘rude things’ to take full system bandwidth for themselves!

Turned out to be some old PNY SSD hard drives I’d picked up a bulk batch of on the cheap. They bench marked well too. Trash for AV streaming purposes though. Got all samples/audio/video files, or anything else having to do with the DAW off of them and haven’t had problems since.