How do I uninstall Dorico 5 so I can reload it. I have no starting icon

You call up the NP Mixer from with the stylized e on an instrument track in Play mode.

When you’re dealing with me, first off, I’m a woman, and I’m 64. Please give me step by step. I’ve attached a photo of what I have on my screen. I don’t see a stylized e, nor can I call up note performer because I don’t know how or where it is. Step by step, please.
IMG_5671.jpg

Circled:

All right. So now I’ve opened that up, but how do I get the four instruments to play in four different tracks in the Dorico mixer. All the instruments are coming out of the same track. This is what I found when I opened up the NP mixer. Everything looks fine here.
IMG_5673.jpg

The NP mixer is where one can adjust the volume sliders to (perhaps) boost the Viola compared to the rest of the strings (or bring the strings down to compensate).

If one is only using NP sounds for a file and not adding processing in the Dorico Mixer, it is easiest just to forget about the Dorico Mixer and do all the mixing in the NP Mixer.

Fair enough, but I still would like to know why all four instruments are playing in only one track in Dorico. I’ve seen this problem in forums but don’t want to rummage around there because there are some rather drastic answers. I need my four tracks on Dorico.

It’s the way NP works.

Why?

IMG_5677.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg

Okay, so I tried it your way, controlling the sound from the NP mixer, but it turns out I don’t have viola playing at all. Now I’ve been flashed a message a few times that I’m missing Grave SE5 instrument, Groove gent SE5 content, and Iconica Sketch. I wonder if it has to do with that. Where would I get this? Here are some shots of my screen to show you what I’ve done.

Try re-applying the NP Playback template. (Play>Playback Template…. choose Noteperformer… apply and close)

This is what my NP setup looks like for string quartet. Each instrument is routed to a different channel in NP.

1 Like

The only real way to have one Dorico mixer track per instrument in Dorico is to use David Tee’s playback template. (Use the search engine in the forum if you’re interested in that). Each instrument uses a whole NotePerformer instance, hence the result in the Dorico mixer.
It was built up for NP 3, before we had the precious NP Playback Engines. I used it all the time then, and not at all anymore (I just want my strings to be using nice libraries).
Why do you write that you’re a woman? I don’t think women need a specific kind of explanation… I mean, I really don’t get it :person_shrugging:

1 Like

There are some things that women excel at, and other things men excel at because we evolved differently. For example, women in general are better at biology, and that’s one of the reasons there are so many women doctors now. Men excel at things like computer science and engineering. My son is in computer science, and there are very few women in the field. All that being said, apparently women dominate biomedical engineering, but is that because of the biology? Anyway, just something I’ve observed. I was a teacher for twenty years and have a master’s degree. Seems stats support this.

And further to the discussion, I get frustrated with IT workers because they oftentimes use generic words that don’t match what I have on my computer, or they skip steps assuming I’ll know. Sometimes I’m able to wade through it, but other times, I need very specific directions. The first time I got on a computer was when I was in my thirties. So my brain’s not wired like that. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve learned a lot and have come a million miles, but I’m still lost a lot of the time. I google a lot to try to solve problems. And if all else fails, I contact the company.

A very interesting fact is that women actually were the first computer geniuses (all the work done on the Apollo project was created by (uncredited, of course…) women), so I beg to differ. I am quite confident that some other folks here will feel the same way I do — @Lillie_Harris ?
But I understand how something that has been stated boldly for years (mathematics and computing is something for men) is hard to get rid of. I mean, women conducting orchestras were extremely rare twenty years ago and look how it has changed these last few years :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that movie too. It was great. Anyway, this isn’t FB. You’re supposed to be helping me sort out my Dorico problems.

If your goal is to put each NP output on a separate Dorico Mixer channel, Marc explained that in his post above. David Tee’s setup would be the way to go.

Why do I suddenly feel terribly overloaded? Any ideas on why my viola won’t play?

If you’re willing to share your Dorico file here, one of us will surely be able to troubleshoot it for you. And remind us what operating system you’re on and which Dorico version you use.

How odd. My file completely disappeared. And yes, I saved it numerous times. Not sure where it went. I’ve tried the finder and everything.

I’m using the latest Dorico. I have a Mac Studio and so am on Ventura.

Found it, and guess what? The viola decided to play. Wonders never cease!

1 Like