How hot is your system running?

Here is my motherboard temp:

Here is my CPU temp:

Would that (CPU) be accurate considering the lower temperature of the motherboard?

I know with AMD processors the temperature reading can be inaccurate due to firmware anomalies but I probably need a new CPU cooler rather than the OEM one that came with it

45°C max, i7 4930K @ 4.1 GHz.

Watercooled. :sunglasses:

Guys, seriously, get rid of air cooling, it’s pointless.

Hi,

Is using watercooling dangerous?

Not when done right and everything goes well.

You must be very careful when you build a watercooled system.

This one is my second watercooled PC, and I like it a lot.

Now and then I must move cables, this is my concern if I bump something in the watercooling infrastructure.

So what about other liquids, do you have any experience there?

I use “Dual Protect” from aquacomputer.de

But, whats more important is strain-relief and decoupling.

I use this:

Just be careful, whatever you do. I love my watercooling system, which is an older version of this one:

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2990

Of course you can kill your system - so BE CAREFUL and work slowly. And I’m NOT RESPONSIBLE for any damage. :slight_smile:

Watercooling is something I know that works (many people use it) but something I wouldn’t like in my computer. Got a Silentmaxx case, a fanless PSU and a slow big CPU cooler. SSD as system drive + 2 conventional HDDs in silencing cases. Passive graphics. Very quiet, nearly non-audible. No fear 'bout leakage :wink:

I don’t monitor temperatures actually. Think I did when I first build it > everything ok since 2 years or so.

Water cooling is often to noisy, a good air cooler is cheaper. None of the pro pc builders I have looked at use water cooling. Anyway I run my system a lot hotter than yours, I would start to be concerned if the CPU temperature was in the 60-70c range.

Is that due to being in a “bedroom” without air-conditioning?

I find very little benefit from air-con over the long haul but if you have outboard gear then it would or course be necessary.

Water cooling is interesting if you can pull it off but I believe there are other less “volatile” liquids that can be used.

In the least I think a good CPU fan other than the stock OEM unit provided should be a must.

My system (OCd) has been running in the 70-80, and even higher, range for three and a half years with a medium priced fan, can’t remember the brand.
Room aircon does make difference in our aussie summer.

We don’t use air-condition around these parts, room temp is right now 18c and cpu temp 48c. In the summer room temp is around 30c and cpu temp around 60c. Standard stock cooler and OCd from 3.5Ghz to 4Ghz. Running rock solid for years. HD temp is more important to keep down, I have fried a few external HDs in plastic housings in the summer time. I have 3 big fans in the computer case, running at low rpm and virtually noiseless. And yes I should really upgrade the CPU fan to a good quality air fan, I’m just to lazy.

I have to run air conditioning all year around, but I am cooling a lot of rack gear as well as the computer.

47 degrees is no reason to replace your cooling.

Right, but on a slightly hotter day it can go above 50 degrees and air conditioning does not really keep this in check and makes the room too cold to work in.

I’m wondering by how many degrees I can reduce the CPU temperature on average by installing a case fan, that is to expel hot air but even looking at it now it is fluctuating around 50 degrees.

Now I can only wonder just how accurate the reading is from the program.

wait, you don’t have a case fan right now?

I do, and when I connected it I thought it was to bring air in but this is not how it works.

I guess that image I attached must have been when air-con was on and that my average temp is probably around 50.

Ahh … I understand. If you are concerned about cooling, open up the computer and try to bundle cables in a way that doesn’t impede air flow. If I recall correctly, the case fan should draw air in. The psu exhausts its heat and this should lead to more airflow inside the case. What is the critical temperature for your CPU? You shouldnlook it up if you don’t know, because you may not have an issue. Know your CPU core temperature will usually be greater than the motherboard and case temperatures. That is normal.

If you don’t trust that utility, download speedfan. It’s a small program that reads all your temperature sensors and it can plot their readings in a nice graph over time so you can look back what the temperature was after a taxing session.

RE airflow: Tom is right, although in some modern PC cases the PSU is mounted at the bottom in which case you should get an additional exhaust fan. Generally it’s smart to have more intake than exhaust fans, as this creates overpressure inside the case which keeps dust out.
Speaking of dust, if you haven’t cleaned your PC before and worry about the temperatures, it might be a good idea to open up your case and remove as much dust as you can from the heatsinks and fans.

Hi Strophid,

I’ve installed that program, very helpful and handy thank you.

The temperature readings appear to be more accurate now so I will try this during the day as it is night where I am.
system3.jpg
I do think however that having a 3rd party CPU cooler of some description (even just a better fan and heatsink arrangement for the processor) would really help on a warm day, as I have a good amount of ventilation in the room and I do not like to run air conditioning due to cost unless absolutely necessary.

I think this thread has been very helpful, maybe an entry should be made in the User Help thread.

Thank you all for getting my “brain” into gear around this issue.

Cheers

P.S. That program does a test to see if the OS is Windows 9x, with as per another thread was supposedly the reason why the next iteration of Windows will be 10.

Here is mine !