How to properly save a new project?

I am working on a startup template. I like to just start Cubase with my template, and if some inspiration strikes then I want to save this session as a new project.

Cubase is very strange with its file management, and I assume I need to use the only option of “Backup Project”, then go and create my save location I want to use? Is that correct?

I REALLY wish they would fix this nonsense. I don’t want to “backup” my new session. I want to save it as something completely new.

Thanks.

Here’s what I do to ensure everything is where you need it.

Save As, select new folder, prepare archive and save again. Backup project is currently broken and does not copy files from other folders to the new directory, and is hit and miss with audio files used for Sampler tracks in my experience. Having a key command for Prepare Archive ensures everything is saved in the project folder.

It is a weird process for sure. Typically you want to create your projects using a template that does not refer to a shared audio pool of a different project. Also you want to always store projects in their own new folder.

Here is how I do it.

1. Create a template that does not refer to a different audio pool. Basically there are two ways to do this.

If creating from an existing project (probably most typical):
a) - Make sure the project is saved.
b) - Hit the “Backup Project” and save it to a different folder location. This saves a new project with audio that is not shared with the old project (not sure why Steve Helstrip says the “Backup Project” function is broken as it is currently working for me).
c) - Close the original project and open the new “backed up” one.
d) - If applicable, delete all audio from the Pool.
e) - Make all other changes you want the new user template to have. Save the project.
f) - Now hit “Save as Template” and provide a descriptive name. Once saved this template will be listed under the “More” tab in the right side of the Steinberg Hub.
g) - After creating the new template I usually trash the backed up project I created it from (but you don’t have to).

If creating from a new blank project (probably not as common) you would not have to do above steps b) through d).

1. Start your new project using the project assistant from the Steinberg Hub:
    a) - Make sure the “Prompt for Project Location” option is enabled.
    b) - Pick the template you want from the list in the “More” tab.
    c) - Double click the template name or just select the template and hit “Create”.
    d) - Go to the folder location where you store your projects and hit the “New Folder” button.
    e) - Name the new folder then hit “Select Folder”.
    f) - Once the project opens I immediately save it using the same name as the project folder. I got into this workflow habit to prevent loosing the new project when I mistakenly closed it without saving it.

That’s it… have fun. :wink:

And yes… I submitted feature requests to fix the create template mess.

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll give it a try.

And it’s good to see some others have problems with this nonsense, and not just say “Backup Project” like some smartasses have done in the past, as if that’s a proper solution.

That is not a smartass answer. It it the 100% correct response to “How do I save an existing Project as a totally new Project?” If folks thought that was what you were asking… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It is unfortunate they named this function “backup” as that strongly (and incorrectly) implies it is part of some backup scheme akin to OS level disk backups - which it ain’t.

It is indeed the way it has to be done.

Cubase treats it as a backup, because when you reopen the earlier project Cubase asks if you want to delete the backup, and that is BAD. I have deleted a “backup”, which was my new project. It’s a horrible arrangement and really needs to be addressed.

No, a project that is saved with „backup project“ is not treated as backup. Backup files have a different file ending (*.bak)to be recognised as backup file. „Backup project“ saves cpr files.

Almost all of the potential for confusion disappears if you set it so Cubase prompts you for a file location at the time of creation & you create the project in its own unique folder and immediately save it. Not too much work, maybe 30 seconds (not counting wait times for templates loading VSTi’s, etc.) - 10 of those seconds requiring actual effort on your part. Make this a habit & you won’t have problems.

And for all those projects without a name yet - I have a folder on my Project disk called ‘Unnamed Sketches’ under that are Project Folders named after the date they were created (e.g. 6-23-19) as are the Projects inside. If I decide the idea has no value I can just delete the folder. But mostly I leave them because you never know what you’ll find rummaging back. And when one of these sketches evolves into something I use Backup Project to create an entirely new Project with its own name at the top level of my Audio disk (where real songs live).

It really is not as complicated as this thread makes it seem. Yes Cubase does try and nudge you in the direction of being more organized - something most folks I know can use.

Try this experiment… I have Cubase 9.5 when doing this…

Open a project, save it via “Backup Project”.

Close the project. In the hub, open the recent project that you first opened…

Does Cubase now prompt you about keeping or deleting a backup project?

It looks like in Cubase 10 it no longer prompts to keep or delete the old project. So 1 step in the right direction.

Scratch that. Cubase 10 just asked me if I wanted to keep the backup.