how to set up 2 headphone mix in ur44?

im trying to set up 2 separate headphone mixs for my ur44 but I cant find any tutorials how to do it in Cubase 7.5…ive done it in the past with Cubase 4 but ive not needed to do it for many years so ive completely forgot how to set them up…I can set up monitor mixs ok but when it comes to routing audio to my headphone sockets on my ur44 theres no option available all im getting is mix1/l.r////mix2 l.r…///fx 1…l…r…
the headphone outputs don’t show up can anyone help me set them up ive got a singer and guitarist who are coming over in a few days and I want it all set up for them …thanks

You route to the mixes and then route the mixes to the headphones . Headphone 1 is hardwired to mix 1. In the control panel you can specify which mix to hear in headphone 2.
You’ll have to spend a little time getting your head around this mix/output concept - it’s critical and gives you a certain flexibility.
Typically you set up a different mix (a cue) using the channel que sends in the Cubase mixer (otherwise any set of aux sends will work).

thanks ive figured it out …I had to goto my audio device options instead of my vst connections then I could choose too listen to mix1 or mix2.youd think the option to output to your headphones would be in vst connections because that’s were all your inputs/outputs are made but its not so its very confusing and not as simple as Steinberg made out in there ur44 promos.
same goes for the dsp mixer its pretty much a waste of time having that if you can control it or use it within Cubase one of the main reasons I bought the ur44 was I was under the impression the dsp mixer was directly controllable via Cubase so it was easier to route,set levels,set up specific mixs to other members of the band but the dsp mixer doesn’t do anything.the mixer that comes with my emu 0404 pci card has greater control and works at the sametime as Cubase does the only downside is it doesn’t have separate headphone outputs which is what I needed.
don’t get me wrong I think the ur44 is good but I do think the promos are very very misleading.

I recently replace my previous converter with a UR44. I’ve read the above and am still puzzled as to how to set up and listen to two different mixes. (1 & 2). I’m hoping someone can clearly explain.

So I have a mix set up. It’s mix 1 L/R and by default routed to headphone 1. How do I set up Mix 2? Obviously I don’t want to change all the mix console settings. I have been use cue sends in order to get different headphone mixes for recording, but want to figure out the UR44 Mix 1 & 2 deal. Is it still using cue mixes?

In Device Setup/VST Connections, do I want to set up a headphones buss? (There is one available.) Or a second monitor buss? (I see where I can route any output to Mix 1 or Mix 2.)

Thanks much for any assistance.

Also, as an aside, how can keep the project window from minimizing when I click on Audio Hardware Setup under Devices or when I click on headphone icon on the UR44 channel strip? Pain in the neck having to maximize each time.

Using the Sound-interface’s Control Panel for setting up the Hardware is actually quite logical. You can in fact set up dedicated headphone outs in vst connections if you use the ‘Control Room’ function - but this is something entirely different to the settings of the HW Phones outs of the UR, and I wouldn’t recommend it using the UR44 as it involves dedicating one or more of your outputs - and you only have 4.

The DSPMixFX applet is for use with other DAW software, or better said, use outside of Cubase.

Possibly you should have bought an interface with more outputs if you needed a greater number of Cue mixes. As it is, I can only suggest you incorporate a headphone sub-mixer or distributer.

You use the UR’s Control Panel. Click on the mix (1 or 2) and then activate the headphone 2 symbol on that mix.
Yes you’d probably still want a cue mix. I don’t know what your requirements are, but in a recording session, if you’re acting as engineer then you’d want a single Cue mix set up on mix 1 and let the artist use phones 1, while you use phones 2 and can switch between the artist cue and the main mix. If you’re recording yourself plus another and each want different mixes, then you’ll need to set up two cues using the two mixes and the phones 2 set to mix 2 (i.e. cue 2). The configuration can then be changed come mix time.

I think I finally figured it out – or at least got something working!

In VST Connections. Monitor 1 is set to device ports Mix 1 L and Mix 1 R (which I think is the default). In Hardware Set Up, selecting Phones1 and then going to Control Room, you can listen to the Mix or any Cue send you’ve set up in the Main section by clicking on the appropriate button (Mix…C1…C2…).

For Phones2: in VST Connections, select the Cue send (one that you’ve already set up in the Main Control Room) that you want Phones2 to hear, make sure Audio Device is connected, then set the device ports to Mix 2 L and Mix 2 R. By clicking on Mix 1 L/R in Hardware Set Up/Phones2, the listener will hear the main mix; by selecting Mix 2 L/R in Phones2, the listener will hear whatever cue send (1…2…) you have assigned to Mix 2 L/R.

I don’t know if this is the swiftest way to do things, but it seemed to work for me. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

I’ve found a better way than from my post just above:

In VST Connections. Activate Control Room Channel (it probably already is). Main is set to device ports Mix 1 L and Mix 1 R (which I think is the default). In Hardware Set Up, Phones1 is controlled by the “Main Control Room Channel.” You can listen to the Mix or any cue send you’ve set up in the Main section by clicking on the appropriate button (Mix…C1…C2…).

For Phones2: Activate Phones Channel in Control Room Mixer. In VST Connections, the Phones channel should be connected and set to Mix 2 L and Mix 2 R. By clicking on Mix 1 L/R in Hardware Set Up/Phones2, the listener will hear the Main Control Room Channel (Mix…C1…C2…); by selecting Mix 2 L/R in Phones2, the listener will hear the Phones Channel (Mix…C1…C2…).

I hope this is clearer!

Hi! Waxxy

I understand you wrote this solution a long time. Would you be able to direct me when using Cubase 10 or 10.5?

Same as on Cubase 8.9 or 10