How to set up sustain pedal on Akai MPK 249

Hi there, I just bought new keyboard controller: Akai MPK 249. It’s groovy but I have problem to set up sustain pedal. When I push it, it’s MUTE function. I’ve found that it’s probably Cubase problem - I dive into midi set up and can’t find command SUSTAIN, other words - there is no SUSTAIN message I can assign to pushed pedal! Is it possible? Pleasse help

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Obviously, you have setup Akci MPK249 as Mackie Control device. Please, remove the Mackie Control Device or set the MIDI Input to Not Connected.

Additionaly, I would suggest you to use the MIDI Monitor plugin, bundled with Cubase, as a MIDI insert on the track you are working with. You should get something like this when using your controller (sustain being CC64 - MIDI 1.0 specification) :

If you don’t get MIDI CC64 values when pressing your pedal, something is wrong in your MPK249 settings, as Cubase recognize these messages without issues, here.

Another way to check this is to record few MIDI notes with your controller, while using your pedal : when opening the key editor, a Sustain CC64 controller lane should appear at the bottom of it, displaying the values received.

There seems to be 3 posts with the same question.
The earliest being:

Hi !

So I tried to use the MIDI monitor and notice that Cubase doesn’t detect my pedal…
I have not any Mackie control device in my studio setup and the pedal still mute the track.
I’m on the last Cubase pro version.

any idee ?

Hi,

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Studio Setup?

Yes no problem !
I just have the MIDI Remote given by Cubase

And if I try to reassign It, there is not any correct assignation.
I had this problem in previous versions of Cubase and I solved it by giving the .xml of the MPK249 but now it is no longer possible to go through a generic remote

Found the solution !!

If It can help someone, I had to toogle the “direct music” checkbox and all is good !
(I notice I had to do It each time I launch Cuabase)

I really think that is a bad default setup made by Cubase. It really deserve a patch ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

how did you find “direct music” mine doesnt give me that option

I really have no idea what to do, im running cubase12 on a mac , dunno if that changes anything. ive tried evrything

Hi,

There is no Direct Music driver on Mac.

you haven’t heard if anyone has figured out that driver issue on mac a different way?

Hi,

I haven’t.

Please note that this problem has nothing to do with Direct Music. It is caused by a faulty implementation, really a rookie mistake. Enabling and disabling Direct Music just causes Cubase to stop using the MIDI remote script for some reason. Very disappointing that AKAI and Steinberg let customers take care of this.

The root cause is that the MPK249 Cubase preset “10 Cubase” uses the same MIDI message for the button S1 (Control Bank A) as the MIDI standard specifies for the sustain pedal: 0xB0 0x40 0x7F.

The following image illustrates the problem.
First two rows: pressing S1 two times with preset “10 Cubase”
Middle two rows: pressing and releasing the sustain pedal
Last two rows: pressing S1 two times with preset “7 Reason”

The code in the window behind is part of the MIDI remote implementation.

The following works for me.

On the MPK249, go to edit mode and change the CC number for switch 1-16 from 64 to 32, and the CC number for switch 17-24 from 65 to 33.

On the PC, replace 0x40 with 0x20 and 0x41 with 0x21 in the script akai_mpk249.js.
In my case, the file was located in “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 12\midiremote_factory_scripts\Public\akai\mpk249”
and
in the “script folder” C:\Users\sunnegardh\Documents\Steinberg\Cubase\MIDI Remote\Driver Scripts\Public\akai\mpk249. The script in the “script folder” kept getting overwritten, so I changed both files.

1 Like