HP Z800 series , the older beasts of beasts QUESTION

Moneys tight at the moment and i’m looking to upgrade my old 3770k , will i see much of an improvement performance wise if i bought one of the older Z 800 series load wise because as it stands i have to bounce( like an old 4 track) quite often to save resources . I know they are not going be fantastic by todays standards but would it be worth it ?

The HP Z machines are great workhorses. Can’t speak about the 800s but they are the top shelf models. I have been using a Z220 with a quad core i7 and 32gb of ram and it has been stellar for me .

1 Like

I’m using a Z600 with twin Xeon X5675 CPUs upgrade and 24 GB RAM, and I am able to run tons of VST + Acustica Audio plugins with no problems. It has been my main workstation for the last 10 years.

1 Like

I think the Z800 did exist in a few incarnations and could be configured with many different CPU’s. But still, I don’t think cubase can utilize more than 14 cores. To get the best out of them you need to have all memory buses used and that helps even with a low core count as 16.

1 Like

No this is the answer i was looking for , my main grip is AA plugin’s so if it’s going to be a vast improvement then i think a Z800 is the way forward until the prices of new machines settle back down again in 2024 :+1:

Just looked at benchmarks of your current i7.

Be sure to take a Z800 machine with a dual processor motherboard and at least quad-core Xeon X5570 processors, preferably hexa-core Xeon X5675 or you won’t see much of an improvement. The twin CPU setup is crucial here. You can get two hexa-core Xeon X5675 CPUs on eBay for cheap.

1 Like

This is exactly what i’m looking at , i can see the E version single processors but as you have mentioned it is the dual i’m interested in , it’s only a stop gap machine but i need to step up a little from the old 3770k

Ah, one more thing - keep in mind that these server CPUs don’t have the AVX instruction set so you won’t be able to run NI Massive X synth (more info).

1 Like

Ni ? never heard of them :joy: im a hardware guy , the only VSTi’s i run are Padshop and Halion 6 so no problem there .
I know Steinberg recommended the Z800 series as they were their top test bench workhorses at the same time the 3770k came about , just out of interest how many instancing of AA’s do you think you can get away with without stressing the Z600 out too much ?

I can get with 40 instances of Cream with preamp engaged in REAPER:

And 9 instances of the same in Cubase 11:

1 Like

Jesus , that’s a big difference , thanks for the info i can run 3 instances of Cream at the moment so it’s triple anyway ,so it’s certainly worth thinking about . Cheers for taking the time and testing , Lets see how many C12 can handle with no dongle :wink:

1 Like