Importing a Film that Reads Video Frame Rate Mismatch

Hello Everyone:

I just imported a film that I am creating music for, and it upload well, except that on it reads that the Video Frame Rate is Mismatched. I am also editing the film and the Video is 23.976/30fps.

I don’t understand why it is mismatched. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Many thanks,

Debbie

You can change your framerate to match in the Project Setup menu.

Hello Ulesto:

The frame rate that appears is correct. This is why I am confused as to why it reads mismatch. My film is 23.976 with 30fps, that is what I see in Cubase, yet it says mismatch.

Many thanks,

Debbie

My film is 23.976 with 30fps

Isn’t that 2 different frame rates already??

Hi Grim:

The 23,976 is the Frame Rate
The 30fps is the keyframe. Even if I change the Frame rate to 15 the keyframe will stay at 30 unless I change it in setup. The one that appears to be off is everything else.

My discovery is that the 23,976 has been rounded to 24 in Cubase. So, this would definitely be considered a mismatch. There doesn’t seem to be any place where I can manually change the setting to the exact fps, which is 23,976.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Awesome!

Huh??? :confused:

You lost me! :astonished:

Debbie, your video frame rate (FPS = frames per second) cannot simultaneously be 23.976fps AND 30fps.

Cubase has the option for 23.98fps…and as advised above you can always click the “Get From Video” button:

@Synco27 Perhaps these links will also be helpful in regard to the terminology…

Key Frame Definition

Frame Rate Definition

Thank you Everyone for your responses.

When I click get from video it changes the Frame rate to 24,000. So both 24,000 and 23,800 are not exactly 23,976 and Cubase reads it as a mismatch. I don’t understand why when I click get from video it still reads mismatch.

Many thanks,

Debbie

This ^

HUH?!?!? What is 23,800? No such thing.

Here is a quick synopsis:

30 fps: B&W video framerate (from the old days)
29.97 fps: Video framerate, currently
24 fps: film framerate (the actual sprocketed 35mm stuff)
23.976 fps (aka 23.98): film speed pulled down to video speed (that’s a whole explanation unto itself)

23.976 would be the equivalent of, and will sync to 29.97

23.976 is NOT the equivalent of, and will NOT sync to 30

So yes, 24 fps is not the same as 23.976 fps; the latter is running @ video speed, and is 1/10% slower

You need to output your video to the framerate that you are going to set Cubase to, or - set Cubase’s framerate to the framerate that you output your video to. If you op your vid @ 30 fps, set Cubase to 30 fps. If you op your vid @ 29.97 fps, set Cubase to 29.97 fps.

Simple, really.

Cheers.

FWIW I just exported a snippet of video from Premiere at 23.976 and imported to Cubase…the mismatch message appears as I’m set to 25fps but when I click get from file the fps correctly switches to 23.98 and there is no mismatch.

Try manually selecting 23.98 and if you still get mismatch then maybe your video isn’t at the framerate you think it is.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Jeff: What you’re saying is that I can selection 29.97 and it should sync? I will try it to see if the mismatch disappears.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Hi Grim:

I was looking for the manual selection to type in the exact frames, but could not find it. I didn’t see any 23.976 in the drop down selection, but did saw 29.97. When I click get from file it switches to 24 automatically.

Many thanks,

Debbie

It happens sometimes here too.
I assume it has to do with the codec used for creating the clip.
What I do in such situations is I convert the movie on my Cubase computer with either QuickTime Pro or Xilisoft Video Converter or Vegas if nothing else seems to work. There I can specify my settings for the clip (quality, FPS…) and after the conversion Cubase is usually happy and all stays in synch.
Cheers!

I was looking for the manual selection to type in the exact frames, but could not find it. I didn’t see any 23.976 in the drop down selection, but did saw 29.97.

I think you’re making this more difficult than it needs to be.
The 23.98 I suggested in my previous post IS in the drop-down…at least it’s in mine at the very top of the list.
If this still reports a mismatch then you probably need to give up on this video and transcode it with another software.

What you’re saying is that I can selection 29.97 and it should sync? I will try it to see if the mismatch disappears.

in this case it should sync second to second but will probably still report a mismatch as the number of fps is different.

Hi 24BFS:

Thank you for your response.

I am working in Vegas, and wanted to render the project in its true format which is 23.976. Cubase is not picking this up for some reason. The drop down menu in Project settings do not have that option as a selection and when I click Get from Video 24 pops up instead.

Hello Everyone: What I am trying to find out is if there is a manual setting so that I can add the exact numbers.

Many thanks,

Debbie

The drop down menu in Project settings do not have that option as a selection

Yes it does…it’s just rounded up to 23.98.

If the movie is 29.97 and Cubase is set the same, yes.

Forget about what Cubase does or does not pick up. Do this, in the following order:

Export the vid from Vegas to 23.976 (aka 23.98)
Open Cubase
Start a new project
Go to Proj. Setup, and in the frame rate box, select 23.98
Import the vid
DO NOT go back to the Proj. Setup, and click get ‘Get From Video’

Does the vid play ok? If so, you are good to go. If not, you may have exported the movie to a format and/or codec that Cubase does not recognize. In which case, you will have to ensure that you use the proper format/codec.

Bear in mind - 23.976 and 23.98 are the same thing.

Cheers.

Hi Jeff:

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this. My dilemma is that Cubase does not have a 23.98 option; only 24fps. They only give options in the Project setup like 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 29.97dfps, 30fps, 30dfps.

These are my only options. So when I import at 23.976 and Cubase picks it up as 23.98, it reads as a mismatch. I’m thinking this is because Cubase does not have any selections that match it. Should I care at this point, since even though it reads mismatch, it does pick up the 23.98 which is the same as 23.976? My only concern is will the music sync when I drop it back into the video editing software?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Really? You dont see this:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/2398.jpg

:question: Do you have the full blown version of Cubase, or a lite version? That might explain it.

In Vegas, export the vid to 29.97 - set the framerate to 29.970 (NTSC). Then in Cubase, set the framerate to 29.97 fps (not 29.97 dfps). That should work.

What format and codec are you outputting to?

Hi Jeff:

No I have Cubase Artist 7. I bet that’s what the limitation is. If I were to render as 29.97 and do the music, then drop the music in the timeline in Sony Vegas, do you think it will sync, being that in the Vegas project, the file is in 23.97?

Many thanks,

Debbie

It should, yes.