Insanely better performance in Cubase 13 than 10.5

Thought I’d try out Cubase 13 and…Wow! Anyone have any ideas as to why the performance has improved so much? Same settings in the Audio System setup too. CPU is a i7 13700KF. That’s worth the price of admission right there. When’s the next sale on? UI’s a bit of a mess but with an audio performance like that, who gives an expletive.
Cubbase

4 Likes

There was significant work done on the audio engine with regards to different processor types.

2 Likes

I’ve a 13900KS and am seeing similar improvements. Not that I need to but I had projects working on 1/4 the buffer size than before - which was rather impressive. Tested it when I upgraded just because I could.

1 Like

Could you by chance point me to where that was mentioned?

Yes, here:

6 Likes

LOL!
Rephrase : Could you by chance point me to where that was mentioned by Steinberg?

I believe it was in the knowledgebase, the marketing blurbs for the new version(s), the release notes document(s), or any combination of those…

Right. So just a vague sentence dropped into the mix somewhere. Gotcha!
With an improvement of that scale I’d have thought there would have been more fanfare. I mean, that is like a 40% improvement at least in audio performance.

It seems more like the newer CPU architectures with P and E-cores just weren’t optimized for Cubase before C13 and had worse performance all the time. Which was also confirmed by Steinberg here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/8412891538066-Performance-issues-on-Intel-Core-12th-gen-or-newer-hybrid-architecture-CPUs
With C13 these CPUs could finally perform how they should.

I see no real difference in performance on my 8700k from C12 to C13.0.20.

1 Like

Also, I think they changed the meter behavior at some point?

surely this is ASIO guard. 10.5 didn’t have ASIO guard.

ASIO guard adds a massive buffer size to everything except when a track is record armed, so you’re NOT actually using the buffere size you think until you hit rec arm.

M

Same here with Ryzen 7

Asio guard is part of Cubase since I remember. It was just not displayed in the performance meter before.

PS: There you go. Since Cubase 7: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206103564-Details-on-ASIO-Guard-in-Cubase-and-Nuendo

Yes since version 7

With Cubase 7 and Nuendo 6 we’ve introduced ASIO Guard. Depending on the project setup, this feature reduces the real-time audio processing load significantly and thus reduces the risk of audio dropouts caused by simultaneous multithreading. For details on ASIO Guard, please refer to this article.

2 Likes

how time flies :slight_smile: I could have sworn ASIO guard was a fairly recent thing :slight_smile: Appologies . I have been a Cubase user since 1989 and gone thorugh a LOT of revisions :slight_smile:

I would imagine then that the difference in performance is to do with Core scheduling . I know SB have been tweaking this for some time and still are. For example they’ve tweaked it again with the recent 13.0.02 update. This has made a big performance jump for me on my 7950x machine… I mean HUGE difference… from the 13.0.01.

3 Likes

This is not really related to ASIO Guard specifically. As I mentioned earlier, there were significant improvements made to the audio engine - and the way it deals with modern processors (and older ones) in the ongoing v13 releases.

1 Like

It’s in the release notes for Cubase 13 (scroll down).

Hybrid CPU support

We have invested a lot of time and effort in optimizing and testing Cubase 13 for hybrid-architecture CPUs, and we are happy to offer full support for both Windows and Mac.

2 Likes

Okay, could someone explain what ‘Real Time’ actually means?. Because I noticed that an empty idol project in Cubase 13 has the Real Time sitting at around 7%. And a project running 40 virtual instruments through MIR Pro is also sitting at around 7% with a small increase on the ASIO meter. And from this screen shot you can see that my task manager is displaying a very different value than the Real time in the Performance Meter. So is the Performance Meter actually working properly?

What about render time? What about export time? Any improvements?

First up, put the performance meter away - CPU utilisation has almost nothing to do with realtime usage. :slight_smile:

Realtime is related to buffer, processing, ability to complete a zillion tasks in the time required to get the next sample into the next buffer to your audio card.

You can have 1 plugin in the chain that is taking to long and your realtime meter will spike, whilst simultaneously having 5000 that aren’t taking long (or a precomputing in asio guard).

It’s all about completing the critical activities in the time available - that is realtime.

2 Likes