Is it possible to import a multi-channel midi to Dorico

Is it possible to import a multi-channel MIDI file to Dorico?

My workflow is to record and edit the MIDI in Cubase, then bounce different MIDI tracks into one track and drag to the desktop as an *.MID file. I am expecting that the MIDI file can be easily imported to Dorico and split channel (Dissolve parts) to different tracks.

Does Dorico have such function?

If not, what do you recommend to achieve such a result?

Cubase is good at arranging, but it seems not good at notation. After all, the MIDI needs to be converted to score for the musicians/instrumentalists to read in the recording stage.

Do you know which software supports the 12/8 time signature or 4/4 triplet feel better?

Hi Peterandu.
You probably would get faster and better results using MusicXML export from Cubase’s score editor, and import that into Dorico.
Hope it helps.
Marc

I’m not sure why you need to bounce anything in Cubase - you can simply export the file as either type 1 or type 0. If you name your Cubase tracks, a type 1 file will make Dorico use those track names for the staff labels (instrument names). If you export as type 0 all midi tracks with the same channel will end up as one instrument, but generally Dorico sorts things out admirably.

MusicXML is generally better suited to transmit notation, as Marc says, but if the music is relatively simple and well quantized BEFORE export, the results with MIDI files are pretty good.

“Well quantized” are important words in Fratveno’s answer. IF you have a swing rhythm in Cubase (especially if it was played “live”) you might be better to quantise it to “straight” and then use the swing playback option in Dorico 2.1, which does more than just “triplet swing” (i.e. 12/8 to 4/4).

If you go down the Cubase score editor and MusicXML route, you are guaranteed that the quantization you see in the Cubase score will be identical in Dorico. That might save you having to fix the rhythm in Dorico if the MIDI data from Cubase wasn’t quantized well enough for Dorico to work out to notate it.

Another issue with MIDI is that splitting the notes between the staves of keyboard parts usually needs some work to clean up the notation. Again, if you get that sorted out in Cubase score editor, MusicXML will transfer it correctly.

The MIDI is recorded from a synth, which has multi-channel MIDI events.

Thank you for the advice.

The drum set part is a GM standard MIDI event. But in Cubase Score editor, it can not be recognized correctly. I have changed from the treble clef to percussion clef.

Based on my previous experience, Cubase is good at recognized triplet and swing feel notes.

If your original recorded data is in a midi file then you may get better results importing that into Dorico directly. The import will work better if all the instruments are on separate tracks. A GM drumkit should import quite well. We’ve done a lot of work to improve midi import since the last release, which will make it into the next update, especially for quantising and tuplet detection. Try it and see how it looks. If it doesn’t import well then you could post it here (or a representative sample) and we can take a look.

it is not a midi file. It is a midi output from a synthesizer, I use cubase to record it. I find when I drag the recorded midi clip directly on to desktop. The channel data is lost.

I think then that you’ll have to split the multi - channel data into multiple tracks in Cubase and then export the midi file. However I’m not sure if Cubase has this explode track functionality.

Yes. Cubase can split out a drum part into separate tracks based on different notes. Use the ‘Dissolve’ function.

May I know how to export the selected midi tracks with channel info? Because there are still other midi tracks I don’t want to export.

Just mute the tracks you don’t want and then export the MIDI file