Is MIDI Learn for AUv3 Parameters not Possible?

This seems like a question that would have been asked many times on here, and should be in the manual, yet I can’t find it - so, apologies if this is tedious.

I can’t figure out a way to do simple MIDI learn for things like assigning a filter cutoff in an AUv3 (any) to my controller (happens to be Launchkey mini but I have tried it on an M-Audio as well.

This may be more technically difficult than I realize yet other apps such as NS2 and BM3 have implemented a “macro” scheme where you can assign AUv3 parameters to a ‘macro’ knob and control it that way.

What is the secret in Cubasis? If it isnt possible is it on the roadmap in the near-term?

Hi @BirbHope,

Thank you for your message and a warm welcome to the Cubasis forum.

Please have a look at our Cubasis 3.3 tutorial to learn how to use MIDI Learn in Cubasis:

Please note that MIDI Learn is limited for internal Cubasis features.

However, Cubasis also supports MIDI Learn for AU plug-ins, if these include MIDI Learn support themselves (e.g. as it is the case for 3rd party apps such as Zen and a few Sugarbyte plug-ins).

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Thank you Lars.
You were right - I was trying to do it with a few synths that didnt have obvious MIDI learn features (but were visible in the above mentioned hosts via macros etc).
When I loaded something like Zeeon that has a MIDI learn function which is accessible in it’s own UI it worked inside Cubasis.

Thanks again.

Hi @BirbHope,

Thanks for your message!

If you stumble on an AU plug-in which does not support MIDI Learn, I’d recommend to get in touch with the app vendor to let them know that you want to see it.

Maybe this helps to let them know about the demand.

Enjoy making music
& stay safe,
Lars

If anyone stumbles on any that DO have midi learn I’d like a list as I’ll buy those ones.

@wpostma my suggestion:

FabFilter

All of their incredible plug-ins feature extensive MIDI learn functionality. To boot, they are considered some of the absolute best sounding and feature-laden Auv3’s around. Their IOS plug-ins are full ports of the Mac/Windows versions (more likely via Mac, as iPad and Mac are now based on the same ARM processor architecture, if not the same chips), and are magnificently adapted to the touchscreen UI.

I can’t recommend highly enough. I have had no reliability problems at all with FabFilter in Cubasis, albeit at times you have to play with their “style” settings to avoid latency, as CB3.5 has yet to gain plug-in latency compensation. Each time I encountered phasing due to latency, choosing a different FabFilter “style” solved the problem.

Hi,
I have a Novation Impulse 61 that would not respond to midi learn in Cubasis3.
I had a midi monitoring app called midi wrench (free), I launched it to check what was going on and suddenly my Novation responded to midi learn without having to change anything. As long as midi wrench is launched and left running in the background, your midi learn will work🙂

Why does Cubasis only support ‘midi-learn’ for auv3 apps that have this as a built in functionality? Other hosts such as AUM support ‘midi-learn’ for all auv3 apps. A simple example is Moog Model D - easily midi learnable in AUM, but alas currently not possible (afaik) in Cubasis.
Be great if this was added in the future! :blush:

Hi @fraxel,

Thanks for your message.
For now, MIDI Learn is limited to the given parameter set of Cubasis.

Thanks
Lars

Hi fraxel,
I know this topic has been solved, but I want to share a useful way of adding midi learn parameters to AUv3 plugins in Cubasis 3, I use this method if I don’t fancy plugging my keyboard into the iPad just for this purpose.
I purchased a app called Ribn from the App Store, it was only £2.99 but it has become so invaluable, not only can it add parameters, it can also be used to control 8 midi channels at once providing a way to adding modulation sweeps, check it out on YouTube.
If you do decide to get it:

1. Launch Cubasis then select the AUv3 plugin and activate the control you want to assign to midi learn.
  2. Launch Ribn, go to settings/midi and select Cubasis, exit settings. On top left you will see a mixer icon, tap this to access the page below, you can set midi channel, the parameter number of your choice, name of controller, tap mixer icon to exit screen, now slide your finger on ribbon 1, it will start sweeping back and forth, tap the circle with a horizontal line inside it to stop the sweeping, go back onto your plugin, the control will now be set with your assigned parameter number. I have added a link to Ribn below.
    Hope this helps on some way :slightly_smiling_face: