Is there a chance for a Linux version in the future?

Hello,

while Microsoft produce such a large number of problems with patches and upgrades - and I don’t see an end - and Apple seems to have similar curiosities…is there a chance to see in a not so far away future a Linux version?

And if not, may I ask what prevents to develop a version for the Linux OS base?

To be clear: I don’t want to start an OS discussion. I’m just tiered of the jabberwocky MS serves with every patch/update…

Thanks for an answer and thanks for SpectraLayers. Since its move to Magix (from Sony) I refused to upgrade.The more I’m happy that this software found now a place at Steinberg and perhaps it would now deserve the attention it should had been given before.

Best regards

rsm

Not specifically SpectraLayers related, but you might find some friends in this thread …

+1, at least keep the idea of a Linux version under consideration please.

The way Windows is going, you will soon no longer own or control your computer and I don’t want to have to go back to a network-disabled older version just to run music software in a stable and secure environment. But let’s not reheat all the same arguments here, that other thread is long enough – I just wanted to +1 the idea.

Thanks for your comments. I wasn’t aware of the other thread so thank you for pointing on this…

Sorry for opening another thread for the already given discussion…

Not at all, no need to apologise! That other thread is my long-running rant calling for the option to have already-multi-platform applications such as Cubase available for Linux as well as Windows and OSX. The more applications ported, and the more people calling for it, the better!

My appeal to not reheat the same arguments here was aimed at the people who have already sufficiently voiced their vehement opposition (for whatever misinformed reason) to Linux in general (and indeed the entire concept of open-source software) over in that other thread.

Just to summarise:
– I am looking for Linux alternatives rather than the elimination of Windows and OSX (and/or world domination)
– having a Linux version would not diminish the existing offering; nobody except Steinberg could even know that
– a Linux version would not make you blind, steal your job or cause skin rashes

FWIW, a Linux version of SL is technically possible. But it’ll only happen if there’s a large move of the audio industry to Linux… Which is a big if.

Thanks Robin for replying (thanks also to MSoundman for the kind words), and the statement for the fundamental technical possibility.

I understand the position of “a large move” for the audio industry. But “if” means also: “if” no one starts nothing will ever change. And being the first one can start the whole thing.

In a serious German computer magazine (called “c’t”) is an article about high latency coming with the version 1903 of Windows 10. Someone ask about what he can do against this latency and the upcoming drop outs.

The answer was, that there are a couple of tips and tricks but with no guarantee that a solution could be found.

That makes it tricky to be sure to have a “good version” of Windows 10 for a clean install for DAWs. Every update is an enormous risk and Microsoft ist no longer computable. Also Steinberg (and all other companies in this branch) must see this and surely they have their difficulties…

But this is not a SpectraLayers issue in first place…

Perhaps certified computers or components could help reduce this wide field of problems…other branches didn’t have a problem with this kind of solution or they set named parts as requirements…

In short, Windows, as an operating system for audio, has become non-deterministic; Steinberg should consider delivering the entire stack.

A Linux version of Cubase is absolutely necessary.

∆ Mac has gone berserk (making a new OS that IS NOT backwards compatible). Sure I want to throw away all the marvelous software it took decades to learn
∆ Windows is malware and spyware

When Steinberg comes out with Cubase for Linux I’m throwing out my (almost impossible to install) Windows 10 and Mac OS and running only Ubuntu.

Cubase for Linux! Come on guys. You can do it.

1 Like

I don’t think there is enough users to make such a large undertaking profitable.

I feel the same way. I gave up on Apple years ago. Windows 10 was adequate but disappointing. Windows 11, however, is a huge improvement on many levels. It’s more Mac-like than ever. Rock solid, stable and is very secure but uses too many performance-degrading resources.

Ubuntu runs super fast on my rig and I’d like to see Steinberg do some porting there.

Excellent!

Starting at OSX, when Apple threw hundreds of thousands of OS9 users overboard litereally overnight, Apple has been doing similarly dreadful things ever since. I maintain an essay online containing ALL their bad deeds to date. It’s a HUGE list.

Trying to install Windows 10 Pro over Windows 10 Home is a hair-raising, back-breaking 45 step procedure. I wrote this horrendous procedure into one of my books: How 2.

• Boo on Apple* 's evil keychain, Apple ID and Catalina that is NOT backwards compatible!
    • Boo on Windows being spyware and malware!

ENOUGH!

When Steinberg finally gets around to Cubase for Linux, I’ll throw Apple overboard and never look back.

Come on Steinberg! You can do it. :slight_smile:

Say it with me:
Cubase for Linux
Cubase for Linux
Cubase for Linux

1 Like

Do Linux users pay $600+ for software? All my Linux experience is that everything is open source.

Wrong forum area. Cubase is elsewhere.

As to Apple, if you didn’t learn the triple-whammy lesson back at System 6 in the late 80s, that was the wakeup call :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would probably make more sense to get involved in one of the Linux DAWs

Of course, if enough people switch to Linux, then the malware and spyware problems will become just as bad.

I find Windows increasingly annoying for 2 reasons:

• Their update system is really unreliable. It was horrendous up through Windows 10. I would have said Win11 is better, but I just had to rebuild a computer last week when updates wrecked it.

• It seems like every new feature is there to try to monetize my eyeballs, and not to make my life easier.

I find Android and ChromeOS much easier to maintain, so maybe ChromeOS is an option for the future, considering that ChromeOS can run native LINUX apps. But of course, Google is far from altruistic in their motives, as well.

1 Like

Windows’ slow and unsteady journey trying to duplicate MacOS, often quite poorly, through the years is finally closing the gap in several important ways. Still, within the past three major updates, my Cubase computer has become unstable. It freezes unexpectedly, requires reboots and lately, BIOS reinstallations. The more things change…

I have to use both an M2 Ultra at work but have an i9 13600 PC and an i9 12900 laptop at home and the M2 Ultra is overall less capable at many tasks in audio and video processing, but only at the high performance and GPU heavy work end. There’s a couple of more specific tasks the M2 is a little faster, AI not being one of them, but not as simply judging them master work horses. The£4K 13600 would be rescued in a fire, the £4K M2 probably not, put it that way (although I didn’t pay for the M2 lol)
Admittedly I’ve never used a generic Windows workstation, it’s always been either an audio-specific build and install or a laptop known to be capable for Audio.