Is there a fast way to convert triplets into sextuplets?

Hello - Is there a quick way to convert these 4 sets of triplets into two sets of sextuplets in Dorico?

I didn’t see a way, but I certainly could have missed something.

Thank you for any help.
convert to sextuplets possible.png

If you’re in Dorico v2, then there’s a fairly quick way to do it.

1. Turn insert mode on.
  2. Delete the triplet numbers - the notes should turn into regular 16ths/semiquavers.
  3. Select all the notes.
  4. Type ; then 6:4, then hit Return.

If you’re in Dorico v1 then no, I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Correction:
In Dorico v1.2 you could:

1. Turn insert mode on.
  2. Delete the triplet numbers.
  3. Select and then cut all the notes (Cmd/Ctrl-X).
  4. Set the caret where you want the sextuplets to start.
  5. Type 4 then ; then 6:4 then Return.
  6. Type 12 really low-pitched 16ths in.
  7. Select the first of them.
  8. Type Q (for quord entry) then L (for lock duration)
  9. Paste (Cmd/Ctrl-V).
  10. Select the whole lot again.
  11. Go Edit > Filter > Notes in chords > Bottom notes or single notes.
  12. Carefully Ctrl/Cmd-click the sextuplet numbers to deselect them.
  13. Hit Delete or Backspace.

I probably wouldn’t bother with this madness - it’s quicker to retype the pitches, even on a computer keyboard, and a damn sight quicker on a MIDI keyboard.

I’ve paid for v2 :wink:

Brilliant. thanks. (I’ve paid for v2 as well :wink:)

One interesting byproduct of insert mode for this use case where the linear expansion of the player’s content is temporary, is that you end up with an extra blank bar or two at the end of the score when all is said and done. of course, easy to trim that off. I don’t suppose there is a way to contain an insert to a specific range?, for instance the triplet to sextuplet edit is followed by a number of bars of rest so it wouldn’t collide with other music.

Quick tip that you can type 6/4 instead of 6:4, which is easier to do with one hand quickly (no shift key required for the slash versus the colon)

Well, of course, this will depend on your keyboard language :wink:

What about Dorico 5?
Is this still a problem? Having to rewrite everything, or even deleting the triplet will be kinda destructive if the score is filled and need some refining.

I don’t understand… Pianoleo explained how to modify without deleting or rewriting anything, in four steps.
Some things have changed in the last versions, Insert mode has now different scopes (voice, instrument, global…) and there’s a new Stop Line. Those tools are all very interesting and are worth investigating.

1 Like

The most elegant way of course would be to select just the two “3s”, not the notes themselves mind you, and hit “t”.
But, of course as it stands, this is a feature request rather than an established procedure…
But just to think about it… :pray: :innocent:

B.

1 Like

Although I certainly disagree with your choice of “t” (which is for tie in Dorico), I certainly agree that a one step operation for that (like a property similar to “spans barline”) would be welcome from most of us users.

Well, Mark, a “'t” combines smaller notes into bigger ones by way of merging… :wink:
Just make it a “universal operation” by allowing it to tie/merge anything!
Imagine the possibilities, especially extending this to other commands, like “u”…

B.

2 Likes

But this thread is not about augmentation. It is about changing the grouping without changing the note values.

see here

Yes indeed, but when I use the same method describded, the triplet sixteen notes turn in simple sixteen notes. And as a result they merge with the next bar.

1 Like

As long as you keep insert mode on they will retract again once you apply the 6:4 tuplet operation to them and end up in exactly the same spot as before.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2023-11-13 170820
Screenshot 2023-11-15 192326
Seems that from the top, we get into the second picture where the action was destructive for the part.
Maybe I don’t get something?

Did you have Insert mode on? Insert should push the subsequent notes out of the way without overwriting them. Then, when you apply the sextuplet (with Insert still on) the notes should snap back into place.

2 Likes

I did, but not on that voice. Thanks guys!