Double triplets to sextuplets - the easy way?

Seriously, isn’t there an easier way by now to convert double triplets into sixtuplets than to activate insert, delete the triplets, select the notes that are now all messed up, hit shift ; for the popover and then typing 6/4 + enter??

I just want to combine two groups of 3 sixteenth triplets into a single sixtuplet with the correct labeling (6 instead of two 3:s).
Furthermore, I may be doing something wrong as I’m new to Dorico, but using the insert function and changing selected notes this way in an already existing arrangement (in this case a symphonic score originally produced in Cubase and transferred as a MIDI file) results in the remaining music in the entire instrument part being shifted beyond recognition, until the correct note values are reinstated for that particular segment. Everytime I do this it makes me horribly nervous about the risk of accidently changing something without remembering what or where, which means having to go back to a previous save file losing hours of work in the process. Am I missing something?
I’d very much appreciate some help.

1 Like

Due to the solid way Dorico has been designed and programmed, you really have no reason to be ‘horribly nervous’ when changing triplets to sextuplets using Insert. I’ve often done this, even with multiple voices within the staff, and it has never created problems.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. Although with ”horribly nervous” I didn’t mean that I’m particularly worried about dorico messing things up. It has rather to do with the risk of me losing track of where I am if I, say, get interrupted during the insert process.
Good for you that you seem to be quite pleased with the way this works. However, I find this method pretty counter-intuitive and it feels like an unnecessary workaround for something that should be very simple. Select the groups of triplets you want to convert to sextuplets, click, done.

1 Like

I agree that in the fullness of time we should provide dedicated features to change the ratio of existing tuplets in one step, but there is no such feature at present.

6 Likes

Hello, just was stumbling on the same thing. Is there a new function allowing this now by any chance? Thanks!

Not yet. But (with care) it is not too difficult to do using current tools.

It’s not fullness-of-time yet… :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I was hoping there would be something like “Paste Double or Half time” like MuseScore has. Not that MS is any real competition for Dorico but I do like that feature when I have had to work in MS4.

It’s possible to halve, double etc note durations of selected notes in Dorico. There’s an option to edit durations on the write menu and you’ll see it there.

Engage insert mode (i) first otherwise you’ll get strange results.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I was sure I tried that but even with insert mode on, I get weird results only for triplets. I find I have to delete the tuplet sign, then re format for the new duration. It’s a big of a hassle but it’s a small niggle compared to the gymnastics I had to move notes around on other notation apps. :slight_smile:

hi again Richard. I just tried it but it doesn’t double or halve the tuplets equally. I have to remove the tuplet indication, then change the notes to a longer or shorter duration, then apply the tuplet again. :frowning:

That is the correct way to do it.