Is "Undo" sometimes a little too specific?

Seems like I have often to press CtrlZ a great many times to, well, undo anything significant. Looks like each and every step of navigation and selection is its own undo step. One note is not so bad, but going backwards for two say…

… press once to undo note (pitch)
… press once to undo duration
… press once to undo note input
…press once to undo select 2nd note
… press once to undo second note’s pitch …
… press once to undo second note’s duration

That might not be the exact steps, but that’s the general gist of it. What seems to me is that for each material change to the score that you want to undo, there are several key presses. What I’m wanting is to undo a material score change. Walking through each step sometimes feels like working with a kid who is being deliberately dense and obstructionist whom you told to take out the trash. :slight_smile:

I missing something? Other people feel differently?

I recall this came up before on the forum. Yes, Undo is quite comprehensive. I’m used to it.

I value the specificity. Sometimes what I want to undo is indeed something as fine-grained as choice of duration. And while it’s always possible to press control-Z more times if one wants to go further back, it’s not possible to press it half a time if it were programmed the other way. So I hope for this to stay the same; it matches the way I think about my choices.

Maybe there could be two types of undo. One would be any change to the score. The other would be any human input to the program (I.e. what it does now).

As you will - I guess I am used to it until I want make a slight change to the last note of a phrase on 32 staves, and then decide I didn’t like the result.

At that point, to take rubberfingers’ suggestion, and if the current undo is indeed valued, maybe a view into the undo stack would be useful to choose a point in time to go back to… I could use a backup file or save it off to another flow, but I feel like my example is:

1. Too short to be time effective to use a backup or copy (takes a while)
  2. Too labor intensive to do the current way (takes a while)
  3. Common-ish

BTW @rubberfingers - I’d nominate you for best screen name 2020.

I’d love an option to have undo work on material changes only. Even better to have both that and the existing behaviour both available as shortcuts.
I reverse with undo in other apps a lot without looking, but it’s rarely useful (to me…) in Dorico because I have to watch like a hawk while I’m pressing it 8 times to get back to where I was.

Wouldn’t the addition of an “Undo History” option (such as some software has) to the present functionality satisfy both points of view?

Actually i borrowed the idea from my hiking and cycling user name, rubberlegs. That’s what happens after too many miles.