Issue with Cubase Pro 11 Update and Windows 10

I recently opened Cubase Pro 11.0.10 and noticed a message about an update for 11.0.20. When I clicked the message, it took me to Steinberg’s Support page. Then I clicked to download the update. I received an error message stating “The original source could not be located…” Then, the graphic icon on my desktop changed to an icon that looks like a blank piece of paper with a shortcut arrow. I am using Windows 10 Home, and noticed that Cubase now does not show listed in the Windows Start Menu, and it does not show up in the Add/Remove program list. However, Cubase is still on my computer and works. I can go into my C or D drive (I have it on both drives) and start the program there. I have even been able to reestablish a shortcut icon on my desktop, but Cubase still does not appear in the Start Menu or Add/Remove program list. As such, when I use the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) to install the update, I get a green check mark (as if the install has been completed) but it does not update. Further, when I close out the SDA, then re-open it, the green check mark is gone and the option to install is once again there. I have chatted with Steinberg for 2 hours, and with Microsoft techs for 10 hours (yes, 10 hours). Microsoft says I need to uninstall and reinstall Cubase, but I can’t since it doesn’t show up in Add/Remove programs. Microsoft then says I need to contact Steinberg to get a download that includes the update. I’ve told this to Steinberg techs, and they have elevated me to a Level 2 issue. I am waiting for a tech to call me back. Any suggestion as to what the issue is and how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Hi and welcome on the forum,

This could be quite confusing. Officially, only installation on the system C drive is supported.

I would recommend to install from the Full Installer, to make sure everything is fine. Myself, I wouldn’t install it from the SDA. I would install it from the File Explorer and make sure to install it as administrator.

Which one of your Cubase (C or D drive) have you started? Which one should be updated?

Unfortunately it works like this. SDA is not really smart. It forgets everything, once you quit and reopen it. It doesn’t store own data somewhere of the completed installation and it also doesn’t check the system. It’s just one-go direction.

that’s not really the case anymore… it remembers something… at least on my recent installations

I have done this (as well as try to install/update from the SDA) and the same things happens: a window opens showing the installation/update has started, but it almost instantly closes and the process never finishes. This happens now - after the initial error message of “the original file source cannot be located.” Any suggestions on how I can install the update and get Windows to recognize Cubase as an App again?

Hi,

Do you still have Cubase installed on both drives?

Do you have a backup of your system, where you could return to by any chance?

I still have Cubase on both C and D drives. Unfortunately, since my computer is fairly new, there are no System Restore points established yet.

If you open Cubase… which version is running?

Installing it to non default locations could introduce integration difficulties with windows, since windows treats it like non standard software…

Right now, version 11.0.10 is opening - from either C or D drive. This morning I updated the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) and it seems to be working better. After I click “Install” on the update, this time, a green check mark appears and the “button” next to it now reads “Install Again.” Now, when I close and reopen the SDA, all this still appears - as to before, where it would prompt me to install the update. Then, when I go into C/downloads/Steinberg/Win64 and click on the installer there, I get the same results. The installer starts, but the window disappears. I was able to read that it was during the initializing process.

Yes… it does this after deinstallation…
The Download Assistant installs Cubase… that’s why a green mark is on it and why it asks to install again. There is no need to click any installer again…

Good to know. Even after starting the install/update process (and after the window closes), Cubase does not appear in either the Windows Start menu or the Add/Remove Programs. In addition, the icon on my desktop still points to version 11.0.20

Wasn’t this the goal of the update? Version 11.0.20?

Oops. Sorry. It still points to 11.0.10

I feel like I need to uninstall and reinstall Cubase, but I’m not sure how to do this since Cubase doesn’t appear in the Add/Remove program list.

you mentioned the PC is new… so why do you have the programm installed to C and D drive?

I copied from C to D drive because my C drive is only a 2TB drive and was getting full from sample libraries. My D drive is a 6 TB drive and that’s where I store my sample libraries.

did you copied the entire Cubase directory?
that’s not a good idea…

try to delete all Cubase content and the program and reinstall it to C and move the sample libraries to D afterwards… otherwise you will live with that mess “forever”…

How should Cubase know which installation is the right one?

I did copy the entire Cubase directory to D drive. I think the only way I can “delete” the program is to delete the file folder in either C or D drive. With what you’re suggesting, do I delete from C drive, D drive, or both? And, will I lose Cubase project data? I have a separate folder for all my projects so I think I’ll be ok. I think the only thing I’ll have to reestablish will be preferences and my remotes.

I copied the whole directory bc I read somewhere that the VST folders needed to be in the same drive as the rest of the program.

omg
not everything written on the internet is true for all time…
moving the libraries…

the VST3 directory is a system directory and the path to the VST2 directory is changeable in plugin-manager
most VST3 plugins can move their library content to different locations, but only content (needs the space) … not the plugin files…

So, should I delete everything from C or D drive - or both? Then try to reinstall.