Issue with mute/unmute Group Channels/Tracks

Hi!

Just discovered a problem in Cubase 10 latest build (10.0.20) regarding Mute and Unmute.

I have a folder with a set of Audio tracks routed to the same Group (for vocals) and some of these Audio tracks are muted.

If I then mute all tracks by muting the Folder track and unmutes the Folder again the previously muted Audio tracks are still muted.

BUT if I mute the Group channel/Track and unmutes it again, all Audio tracks routed to the Group channel are unmuted, also the ones that was previously muted.

I don’t think this was the case i in earlier versions, but haven’t had the time to check if this is the case in CB 9.5 though, but I doubt it, it seems to be new to me.

So for me this is a bug, and a annoying one if tracks are suddenly unmuted without you realising it when working with Group channels.

BR
/Hackej

+1
I have the same issue. I believe going back to Cubase 7 this has been a problem.

Either the Mute tool shouldn’t work on folders (it’s easy to just use the track Mute button for the whole folder), or Undo needs to work correctly (restore clips within a folder to the state before the folder was muted). I’d suggest doing both.

This is a serious bug because a lot of work can be lost in a single click! If I have gone through and made a number of individual track mutes to create a composite and accidentally click the folder, all those decisions are gone.

David

+1 Having the same behaviour. It is a little workflow killer

Hi!

Any progress or comment regarding this issue, it kind of breaks my workflow not being able to temporarily mute groups when trying out various mixing scenarios.

Will this be fixed in future release?

BR
/Hackej

WHAT is going on with this issue? Cubase 10 and still going with this bullshit. I’m on a clock here and basic poop can’t work ffs. I have to save the project under a new name, open the old version and check wtf do I have to do again now.

The logic for solo and mute, and then its application from within folders is a mess, and always has been. It has never worked reliably and so you might as well accept the fact that it probably never will.
If you need to produce stems for example then I suggest you avoid using folders all together, as they will make your life a misery. By all means use them while working on a track for convenience, but pull all your tracks out of them before starting all your exports.
And get used to using the master solo and mute buttons to reset the status across the board.

i’ve had the same issue and think i’ve found a solution in this thread:

in short you have to deactivate: Preferences/VST > Group Channels: “Mute Sources as well” (which is set on by default)

visual metering is a little less clear than before since now only the group channel is muted but the meters of routed channels are (visually) still active, but i can definitely mute/unmute group channels without it effecting the mute-status of routed channels.

and as a major bonus, it’s now also possible to solo send-FX channels without the source being played as well, which is, to my knowledge, otherwise only possible using the control room.

hope this helps.

1 Like

This kind of fixes the problem. However it’s unbelievable that it ever worked this way especially considering we’re now on cubase 12, four years later.
Why would anyone want to see the metering of the source channels when a group is muted? Or want to unmute a lot of channels they once selected to mute in a single unmute click? (the latter i default!)

99% of users want it to work like this:
Mute a group = all it’s sources are muted
Unmute a group = all the sources are unmuted EXCEPT those channels who were previously muted already.

If you’re gonna give us:
“Group channels: Mute sources as well” (exists already)
Why not give us a sub box in addition:
“Group channels: Remember previously muted sources when unmuting group”

Or how about this:
“Group channels: Mute sources as well” (exists already) + it remembers previously muted channels as a default when unmuting a group.
And then for the true Cubase unmute group legacy aficionados there’s a sub box:
“When unmuting a group, please also unmute every different version of the piano i recorded and play them at the same time because, really, that’s what I want”.

This is such an easy improvement to make, let’s make it happen!

If the sources go to more than one group that could be desired.

1 Like

Good point! However it would be easy to have the logic:
If all groups that a source is routed to are muted then mute also that source until any one of those groups that it’s routed to is unmuted. Actually i think this is how it already works.

The real problem is that while the default setting that sources also mute when muting a group is set as desired, there’s a bug that when unmuting a group, all sources unmute, regardless if they were muted individually before. I would say this is a bug, nobody would want all the versions of their tracks to suddenly play together. If you have loads of them and can’t remember which exact sources were muted and which weren’t, this can actually ruin your project to the point where you simply have to re-load your last save.

I’d suggest the following:
Keep it as it is now:
“Group channels: Mute sources as well” is checked by default.
If unchecked the metering for all sources can still be seen if desired.

So far so good.

Just make it so that when the “Group channels: Mute sources as well” box is checked Cubase also remembers which sources were previously muted when unmuting a group. That’s it.

I’d say that would satisfy 99% of the user base and remove this annoying hazard of ruining your project in one click.

What’s a total mystery to me is that this hasn’t been changed yet since I can’t be the only one who find this thing to be the most annoying thing that happens regularly to me when working with Cubase.

Came here for a solution. This is something that’s makes it very difficult for me to mix in Cubase. Why is it like this ? A console sure don’t work like this… and I don’t think any other DAW does.