Issues getting started with Cubase 11 LE

I’m trying to record through Zoom R16 as audio interface into Cubase 11 LE, to no avail.
I’ve set everything up, Cubase recognizes it as asio driver, ran guitar through different inputs, which I matched to buses in Cubase but when I create the track I’m not getting any signals, and faders won’t control Cubase faders, although when I move the zoom faders, the small level in the lower right corner of Cubase reads it, so it has to be getting a signal, but can’t record.
I’ve read the manual, & watched numerous videos to no avail, I’m about to pull my hair out, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshots of

• Audio Connections > Inputs
  • Selected Audio track with the 1st tab selected in the Project window to see the selected input of the track.

To control Cubase’s Mixer, you would need to set R16 as Mackie Control in Cubase. Have you done this?

I did not, are you saying to select mackie control in the add driver under devices?
I’m trying to add a screen shot, it’s saying media not allowed .
Under inputs tab :
Bus name. Speakers. Audio dev. Dev. Port
Stereo in. Stereo. Zoom r16.

• Left. Zm drv. 1
  • Right. Zm drv. 2
    Mono in. Mono. Zoom r16
  • mono. Zm drv. 3

Hi,

Add the Mackie Control Device in the Studio > Studio Setup, please. Set its Input and Outputs to the R16 MIDI Ports.

You can attach a screenshots, now.

Hi,

With this Audio Connections > Inputs settings, if you add a Stereo Audio track, it will use the Stereo In input, which means the Input 1 & 2 of R16. If you add Mono Audio track and choose Mono In as an input, it will use In 3 of R16.

so do I remove the stereo inputs, and only use mono driver 3 for guitar?

Hi,

The Mackie Control looks good. Just remove the Mackie Control 2, please. Otherwise the Channel Banking won’t work.

I would also remove the Generic Remote 2 device (id you don’t use it) and make sure the Generic Remote Device doesn’t use the R16 MIDI In port.

In the Audio Connections > Inputs you can click to Add Bus button. Here you can add more Mono Buses and set them to In 1, In 2, In3, In 4… Then you can add multiple Mono tracks in Cubase, set the different inputs (Mono In 1, Mono In 2, Mono In 3…) and record multiple tracks simultaneously.

You can keep the Stereo In there, just for case, you would record a keyboard or something like this.

I would recommend to watch Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections

looks as if Cubase is recognizing faders, and controls , but still not recording

Hi,

What is the Input of the track, right now? How is it setup in the Audio Connections > Inputs, right now? Where is your microphone connected to, right now, please?

I am in input 4 0f track 4, in audio connections I have drivers 1-8 all mono, guitar is connected to track 4 driver 4

Hi,

There is no signal even on the Mono In 4 visible.

Does the Input 4 have Hi-Z option? Could you enable it?

Hi,

Hi_Z seems to be available on the Input 1 only. Plug your guitar to Input 1 and switch the Hi-Z on, please.

Still no signal

Hi,

We don’t see, what the Input of the Audio 01 track is, because the Audio 04 has been selected, so we see the Inspector (and the Input) of Audio 04 instead of Audio 01. But the Audio 01 track should use Mono In as the Input.

If there is still no signal. increase the Gain on R16’s Input 1.

I would recommend to watch Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections

The gain on the zoom increases volume through my monitors, but no signal in cubase, I touched the input 4 fader while taking the screenshot, that is why it is highlighted.
You can see the record and monitor buttons are selected for track 1, and there is no recording signal in track 1

Hi,

What is the input of th Audio 01 track, please?