Jazz-Articulations?

Hi,

thanks for Dorico Pro 2. II appreciate the efforts to improve the handling of jazz based music.

I’d like to know

Is it possible to define proper articulations for “Falls”, “Scoops” which appear left oder right of the notehead ?
The “old” workaround with text and glyhps is not very smart.

Is it now possible to cue something to a drum-staff? (e.g. a riff of the brass-section)

Thanks!

Unfortunately we don’t yet have those idiomatic brass articulations implemented, but they’re a high priority.

And there’s no change to cueing on a drum staff, really, in this version, but if you want a rhythmic cue, you can fairly easily add one by adding a slash voice to your drum kit.

I understand. THX, Daniel! Your support is really outstanding!

Until the brass articulations are implemented, you can use the playing technique editor to create your own playing techniques as fall and long fall etc. so you have quick access to those signs. Unfortunately you have to edit the correct placement in engrave mode…

Shock horror! Just bought the software thinking “since they’ve moved on to MIDI editing and already have tons of so-called contemporary articulations (e.g. bowing on the bridge), then surely jazz articulations must be in there already”. Is this going to be Sibelius all over again? What version was it we had to wait till for something as common as a fall?

With all do respect, these techniques are amongst the most commonly used in the world, including classical music. Surely the amount of music written with these (jazz, big band, musicals, TV, operettas,etc.) far surpasses the amount of music that contains bowing on the bridge, slap tongue or even frulato…???

I confess I mostly moved to Dorico because I missed Daniel and the team for support, but please give priority to common notation things such as this. And please don’t neglect the accordion either…

This is why there’s a 30 day trial, why there’s a freely available Version History and a freely available manual, not to mention this extensive forum. And yet you’re blaming the developers. Really?

No, most certainly not. I’m not asking for a refund and I most certainly not blaming anyone for my own mistake (especially if this comes in a future free update). What I am saying is a word of caution to the developers since there is a precedent of neglect for a rather large area of the industry… Even funk bands have charts for their horn players.

I want these lovely guys to succeed and I think my input as a long time professional in the industry is useful.

You can pretty much guarantee that if something as seemingly-simple as a doit is missing, it’s because they’ve got some idea up their sleeve for improving on How other software currently handles doits.

On the other hand, have you actually looked through the Playing Techniques editor? You may find that the symbol you want actually exists, but you need to assign it to a Playing Technique and then manually position it as you see fit.

Oooo! Now that sounds pretty exciting!

Not yet, still looking through the manual.

Dear Bollen,
The manual is not *** really*** up to date yet, so I’m afraid you won’t find much about the playing technique editor there — you might want to have a close look the the Version History document that goes with Dorico Pro 2… I suggest you use the trial that will be available in a couple of weeks in order to avoid us all the kind of lament we’ve been experiencing here about some customers that do not find what they were hoping for while not trying before buying !

Hi Marc, I did in fact do that last night and was very pleased with what I found. However, I could not get the editor to place an articulation at either the left or right of a note. I understand I can manually change them in the Engraver page, but that would just be way too time consuming. Back to Sibelius for this job I’m afraid… (Which is still version 6, ouch!).

On a happy note, I really liked the fact that everything I could possibly conceive was right there under the hood! This gives me great hope that all these articulations and markings will be easily placeable in the near future. Fortunately I have a few classical works coming next after the current job, so I will be using Dorico at some point in the next few months.

Hi Marc,
I bought the update the day it appeared. I will buy the next update as well. I like working with Dorico very much. But as Bollen I hoped that doits and other brass techniques were implemented without workaround. And I think it’s okay, if users who write for brass on a daily basis express there needs at this forum.
Best wishes,
Chris

Hi trumpetfish !
I hope your hopes will be shortly fulfilled, I read in a reply from Daniel somewhere in the forum that it was among the high priorities… I don’t have any other information, since I’m just a regular user (willing to help)

Is there a manual for version 2?

The version history describes the differences/additions/improvements of version 2 over version 1.2.
There are also videos.

We’re working on the documentation for Dorico 2 and it will be available as soon as possible: please see this thread. Everything except for the new features added in Dorico 2 is documented in the current version of the online docs, and the Version History PDF provides everything you need to know about the new features.

I’m sure glad there’s a 30-day trial (I’m on day 6) because no doits or falls is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully I can get on board in the future, but apparently not yet. I don’t have time to deal with the techniques editor and manually positioning these in engrave mode. Hate to say it but I think I need to shell out for that Sibelius subscription. Really, really don’t want to… but I’ve got work to finish in a timely manner. Already spent way too much researching this, as the word “fall” doesn’t bring up anything relevant in the documentation. Perhaps it could bring up a statement that there aren’t any?

Apparently the jazz articulations are in the next update.

Thanks for linking to the other topic. I’ll have to see if I can hold out until then. I’m on Sibelius 7 and things are getting very sluggish in Mojave. I downloaded the Sib 2018 demo and it runs better.

For the work I do, the inclusion of jazz articulations and the D.S., D.C. stuff will bring the program very close to “full function” for me. Probably the only significant deficiency for me at that time will be the inability to break out parts (have 2 trumpets in the score, but print them to separate parts.)

In reality, I have licenses for Finale and Sibelius, but I have not used either of those programs much recently. In a few cases, I chose to through-compose in Dorico in order to avoid the D.S. issues. That is to say, the overall productivity and capability of Dorico is greater than the impact of the missing features. I know this is a personal judgment that won’t be true for everybody.