Key command changes not applying

Glad to find out I’m not the only one.

Please keep the suggestions come.
It would be nice if the person who made the French json file could jump in with some advise.

Maybe only note names should keep the correct French keyboard letter. a,b,c,d,e,f,g
I prefer most others at the UK location.
Look how visual logical and ergonomical compared to French

Regards,

Johan

Hello,

I suddenly realise that I’m asking questions not related to the start topic.
Should I start a new topic about the french shortcut keys?

Regards,

Johan

Dear johan,
Would you want me to share my json file with you ?

Hello MarcLarcher,

That would be very kind.
Did you keep record what you changed?

Regards,

Johan

There is no Argentinian keyboard. We use the Spanish-Latinamerican or the Spanish-Spain keyboards. They are almost the same (QWERTY with Ñ next to L). Only some punctuation signs are in different places (accents, comma…). I am using an old “MS Natural Keyboard” with the Latinamerican distribution.

Later I will try with another phisical keyboard (maybe it is just a matter of age…)

Hello,

Probably a stupid question.
Can we exchange json file with anybody?
Or only when using exact the same keyboard and operating system.

Regards,

Johan

You can certainly exchange JSON files, in theory even between platforms, but be aware that if they were created on a different platform or keyboard language, some of the keys may be in a different physical location on the keyboard and thus behave differently.

Hello Daniel.

Yes, it is an odd behavior.

I have tried editing manually the “keycommands_es.json” file, deleting it, replacing the phisical keyboard, etc. In between I had to reinstall Windows (the OS broke down -shame on Bill G.-) and had to reinstall all the applications.

Now I have reinstalled Dorico Pro. Firstly I used Spanish keyboard and language. It does not recognize any custom shortcut. The note durations shortcuts remain as the defaults, the numbers at the number keypad do not work (but the “/”, that I had set to split beams, does work).

So I changed to English as default language and keyboard. The note durations remain always as default, even when I tried to change them (and I checked the “keycommands_en.json” file!). Apparently Dorico refuses to make the changes.

BUT… now the “Force Stems Up/Down” command DOES work :wink:

-.-

I have tried to tell you all I have done. My apologies in advance if you don’t follow me at some point. My native language is Spanish and, though I read often in English, I do not write since many, many years.

I am sorry to bother you with “The Force Stems Blues”. It is not a terrible issue, but I wanted to begin my first major task with Dorico in a few days and it delays my workflow considerably.

I hope that you and your team will soon fix the problem.

My respect and admiration to all of you.

Un abrazo.

Gerardo

I’m sorry to say that I don’t know how we can fix this problem at the moment as I don’t understand it! I am away from the office this week in New York but I will try to get somebody in the office to try this with a Spanish keyboard and see if he can reproduce the problem.

Thank you Daniel. I know you are in NY and I appreciate your concern.

Best regards (and break a leg!)

G.

Hello,

Not being able to apply user shortcuts on a BE keyboard is grrr…
So I keep trying to understand how shortcut keys work

Is the following correct? ( when editing shortcut keys in the preferences - Windows 10 pro)
There are 2 json files for each languages.

File 1: is located in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2\keycommands_fr.json
( is never changed by user )
File 2: is located in C:\Users\Johan\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 2\keycommands_fr.json
( contains only user changes )

File 2 overides file 1 if available? ( kGlobal )

Both files user different naming styles for key command.
File 1: “NoteInput.NoteValue?LogDuration=kCrotchet” : [ “6” ]
File 2: “Note Input.Set Note Duration=1/4 note” : [ “§” ]

My findings:
Changes in file 2 do not apply for my situation. ( BE keyboard, French language selected, Windows 10 pro)
Changes in file 1 do apply ( but I suppose we should not manually change that file)

Does this make any sense?

Regards,

Johan

The fact that File 2 uses a different naming convention for the command is the reason why the shortcuts don’t apply. This is the bug that we have already fixed and which you should find solved when we release a new build. What you can do in the meantime, if you’re careful, is copy the key command identifier (e.g. “NoteInput.NoteValue?LogDuration=kCrotchet”) from File 1 and paste it into File 2, along with your desired change of shortcut, and that should allow you to make those changes work.

Dear Daniel,
I am glad to know I guessed right about those two files and that you fixed the problem. It’s always nice to know which file (and where) does what :blush:

Hello,

Maybe interesting or not.
On my computer there are duplicate shortcut keys in the following file.
File 1: is located in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2\keycommands_fr.json

The duplicates with different shortcut keys are:
“NoteInput.StartTupletRun” : [ “=” ]
“NoteInput.EndTupletRun” : [ “+” ]
“NoteInput.SetAccidental?Type=kSharp” : [ “-” ]
“NoteInput.SetArticulation?Value=kStaccatissimo” : [ “§” ]
“NoteInput.SetArticulation?Value=kStaccatoTenuto” : [ “!” ]

And
NoteInput.StartTupletRun" : [ “!” ]
NoteInput.EndTupletRun" : [ “§” ]
NoteInput.SetAccidental?Type=kSharp" : [ “=” ]
NoteInput.SetArticulation?Value=kStaccatissimo" : [ “-” ]
NoteInput.SetArticulation?Value=kStaccatoTenuto" : [ “_” ]

Regards,

Johan

Hello,

Found it has to do with “common” “mac” and “windows” sections.
Bit confusing.

Regards,

Johan

Thanks Daniel, all is clear!
Looking forward to the next patch.

Thank you Daniel! I will do that you suggest. You have saved my day.

Thanks from heart.

Gerardo

trying to remap marcato & tenuto articulations but with no luck. factory mappings don’t change. english dorico version, us keyboard layout.

Daniel,

Since I see I’m not the only one to use a custom keyboard layout: is there a chance a couple of country-agnostic sets can be provided (ISO and ANSI)? What I mean is a couple sets that are not mapped according to the chosen keyboard layout, but by the position of physical keys.

Therefore, if I want the ‘natural’ key three positions on the left of the Backspace key, with no modifier key, it will stay in that position, even if the corresponding character in the keyboard layout has moved somewhere else (in the same position, but with a modifier key, or a totally diffeent position).

Paolo

This is because of the bug being discussed in this thread: any shortcut that is “two levels deep” in the tree cannot be reassigned at the moment. We will fix this in a forthcoming update.

No, unfortunately not: the way the keyboard handling works in Qt, it’s all about the actual character produced by the key rather than the physical location of the key.