Key-Command for simple triplets?

The triplets don’t stay sticky if you exit note input mode, or if you use the arrow keys to navigate to a different location. Otherwise, they will be sticky.

Also, if you had selected 6 beforehand, you don’t need to press it again. The only reason you might enter a different numerical value is if you want to subdivide the tuplet that you had just created.

And lastly, not to be nitpicky, but I would just point out that your first three steps that you list are inevitable, and not a problem with the user interface. After all, you have to specify the note and the location anyways!

What I’d like to see is the ability to create a custom key command (in preferences) for basic triplet, so I can assign one key to it for ease. Using the popover is too many clicks, and editing json files is simply a hack.

Billscores, presumably you are entering a lot of triplets, because just one wouldn’t be a big deal however inefficient it is.

Unless the rhythm of your music is very “random”, it might be a lot quicker to copy-and-paste the rhythm (or repeat it, by pressing R)and then repitch the notes, which doesn’t require you take any action over the rhythm.

Enter just ‘3’ saves two keystrokes. That’s much better. Thank you. Currently I’m editing music imported into Dorico from a MIDI file and many of the triplets did not translate. Which has led me to now understand why Dorico’s triplet ‘sticky’ function is frequently interrupted for me. Apparently, if one enters a triplet and the caret auto-advances itself onto a pre-existing note, the stickiness of the triplet function is auto-turned off. Can someone else please confirm that this is consistent behavior?

Correction - the sticky function is turning off for me because in the music I’m currently editing, I’m creating triplets with rests in them, and I’m using the right arrow key to advance through these rests – apparently, when I press arrow key, the triplet stickiness turns off. It was my understanding that the arrow key was the preferred method to enter rests in Dorico. Is there a different way I should be doing this with rests in triplets? For example, if a triplet starts with a rest - how can I make the rest and keep stickiness on for a subsequent triplet?
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 5.52.35 AM.png

If you press space bar, you should notice the sticky tuplet function stays on. Would that help?

Use space instead of the arrow key to enter rests, for two reasons.

1. It doesn’t cancel tuplet entry!

2. Space advances by the selected note duration, but the arrow key advances by one space on the rhythmic grid. In your example they happen the advance the same amount because the rhythmic grid is set to 8th notes by default, but in general they are different.

You would press spacebar, not use arrow key to input the rest of the current duration (i.e. tuplet).

EDIT On my ipad and didnt see page 2 of this post…Rob and Marc beat me to it! :smiley:

Try using the space bar for rests, instead of the arrow key - that works for me, and the triplets remain sticky. (oops, I’m too late!)

Okay, so I just re-watched a few early Dorico vids and discovered I’ve been advancing the caret in write mode incorrectly. Apparently I’m supposed to use ‘space bar’ to advance the caret instead of the right arrow key while in write mode, and if I do this, I won’t get bumped out of the triplet sticky mode. In my defense, I developed an early habit of avoiding the space bar because it kept sending me back to the beginning of the flow to play, and that’s a harsh penalty for pressing keys slightly out of order. The right arrow key in my opinion felt much friendlier. No harsh penalties, and it accomplishes more or less the same thing. Today I will begin retraining myself to enter rests the correct way – with the space bar.

I do use the arrow all the time in note input mode, in fact. Ctrl-right jumps the caret to the next barline, and up/down arrow moves to other staves. And I regularly move the caret around to insert other sorts of items, like fermatas or playing techniques or dynamics, that need to be placed at a spot between notes. But yes, spacebar is best for rests!

Thanks to everyone who identified my issue with triplet entry. Space bar is now my new rest entry method. I’m learning this as I go. It’s nice to have such a great community of support here.

Coming from Sibelius, I assigned Num+0 to “Advance caret”. Working fine.

Reviving this thread to find out if the Dorico team plans to allow you to create a custom key command to enter triplets? Using the popover is more keystrokes than I’d like. Also if there are any plans for a preference to turn stickiness on or off for things like triplets or grace notes?

I’ve created custom key commands for just about everything I do, and hope the Dorico team will expand these offerings since some of the Dorico choices for key commands aren’t intuitive to everybody.

If you’re willing to edit the key commands JSON file by hand, you can already set a key command for triplets: see this earlier thread. In general of course we are in favour of allowing you to override as many key commands as possible – otherwise we would not have implemented custom key commands from the very first release of Dorico 1.0 and continued to expand the range of key commands that we allow users to set in practically every release since.

Right, I read this thread but believe the ideas in this thread are hacks (e.g. editing json files), so wondering if a faster triplet workflow will get more 1st class support in the form of custom key commands in the future? And also had asked about whether there will be a on/off preference setting or key command to enable/disable stickiness? The stickiness can be a hindrance to fast workflow when you only need an occasional triplet or grace note for example.

All things are possible, of course. Being able to assign a key command to a triplet is certainly something that comes up often enough that it’s probably something we will add in future. I’m not sure about stickiness, on the other hand; that seems less of an issue overall.

The stickiness is less of an issue, but I sometimes find myself wanting to delete a tuplet without loosing the notes entered, as in a “untuplefy” function. But I find myself with notes missing. That would be a great addition — say, with insert mode on, if you get rid of the tuplet marking, Dorico preserves all the notes accordingly.
[Edit] And after a quick check, this is exactly how Dorico behaves, so the mistake is on my part, for not entering insert mode when deleting tuplets. God, I love this app…

Why is stickiness not an issue for a fast workflow in some cases? If I have just an occasional triplet or grace note, I would expect triplets/grace note entry mode to turn off after the first one, yet it doesn’t, so I have to manually exit out of triplet/grace note mode which slows the workflow. Sure stickiness can be helpful if you need to enter many consecutive triplets or grace notes but that’s often not the case and we could use a Preference or key command to enable/disable it.

Isn’t it incredibly fast and easy to hit right arrow, then left arrow, to exit tuplet stickiness and return the caret to the correct location?