Key Commands in Wrong Language

Hi,

I can’t find this specific problem elsewhere on the forum, apologies if I’ve missed it:

I have the English version of Dorico 2, however all my key commands are for some reason automatically set to German which isn’t much use with an English keyboard. Everything else is in the right language. I have tried setting the general language to English and keyboard language to English (it was on ‘default’ before) but this made no difference. I didn’t ever have this problem with Dorico 1 - it arose after the upgrade.

I did have some installation problems. The first time I opened Dorico 2 my computer (Windows 10) crashed saying it ‘attempted to write to read only memory’. After restart I have had no more major problems other than the key commands.

Many thanks.

I have found a similar problem, possibly related to the same bug: I am using German as user interface language in Dorico 2, running on a computer with US American keyboard (Windows Keyboard layout setting: United States-International). However, the keyboard shortcuts are displayed in German, not as they should in English.

kla4jochen, if you run the program in German, then the key commands in the menus will use the German names for the keys, even if you set your keyboard language to English.

BPB, what are the exact symptoms of your problem? Are you seeing the key commands in the menus using e.g. Strg instead of Ctrl or is there another issue?

No, strangely, they are set with Ctrl. E.g ‘Ctrl+Shift+I’ for ‘Note Input Options’. However for ‘End Tuplet Input’ it is giving me ‘Shift+O [with umlaut]’ and for ‘flat’ it’s set to ‘ß’. I tried changing the key command for ‘Flat’ to ‘-’ and sharp to ‘=’ (which if I remember correctly were the default English shortcuts) but this has made no difference.

Very odd. And if you look at the language settings in Windows itself it correctly shows an English keyboard?

Yes, well under ‘Windows display language’ it is set to ‘English (United Kingdom)’. In ‘advanced keyboard settings’ it is set to ‘use language list (recommended)’ which I assume means English as this is the Windows display language my computer is set in. I am using my laptop keyboard, not an external keyboard and I have never encountered language problems before (and I never had the problem in Dorico 1).

That’s really weird. Could you zip up the keycommands_en.json file in your %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 folder and attach it here so I can take a look at it?

Thank you for your replies Daniel. Please see attached. I’m hoping I’ve got the right file.
keycommands_en.json.zip (3.4 KB)

Nope, you haven’t. That’s the default one from inside the Dorico application folder in Program Files. Can you send the one from inside your user’s application data folder? You can paste the path I gave in my previous reply into Windows Explorer to go to that folder.

Is this the right file?
keycommands_en.json.zip (989 Bytes)

I would say from the size of the file that it is the right one :wink:

This file is indeed the right one, and weirdly the shortcuts defined in there are indeed using the German keyboard layout. What I suggest you do is quit Dorico, move that file out of the way, e.g. rename it to keycommands_en.bak so that Dorico won’t load it, then restart Dorico, and try setting your custom shortcuts again, to see if they now show up with the expected English keys.

I’ve got a similar problem. I use Doricos English version (as all the tutorials are in English it’s easier for me to follow) on a Mac with a German computer keyboard.

I have Dorico on my MacPro (Sierra) and on my Macbook Pro (High Sierra). On the MacPro everything works like expected: " 0 " sets a natural, " - " a flat and " = " a sharp.

On the MacBook " 0 " also sets a natural but " = " does nothing, and " - " sets a grace note. Here also " ß " sets a flat.

I made a key command reset (just for the case) and also switched to the German Dorico version but it doesn’t change anything. What can I do?

Have you done this?

Incidentally, the default English key for sharp is + not =
edit: ^^^ this is nonsense.

Maybe I changed it, sorry… I’m on my MacBook at the moment and can’t verify…
In the tutorial video it was shown like this for naturals, flats and sharps:

Have you done this?

I want to… but where’s that file located on Mac? And as my problem is vice versa to the suggested solution (English Dorico with German keyboard instead of German Dorico with American keyboard) I don’t know which file to rename. “_en” to “_de” or “_de” to “_en”? And why does this happen on the MacBook but not on the MacPro? MacBook has High Sierra and MacPro Sierra… maybe that’s the reason?

I believe it’s
~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico

I guess try both, though probably not simultaneously. Follow Daniel’s instructions to hang on to the original files…

Thanks! I’ll try. (And maybe I could just copy my MacPro files to the MacBook.)

Edit ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico
Nothing in there except Noteperformer settings. I think on Mac these language files are probably part of the application package. But I don’t dare to manipulate in there…

Daniel thank you so much that’s worked perfectly. All my key commands are now set back to English which is going to make inputting music a lot quicker!

Dear Saxer,
The files in the application package are the default ones. The file that is created when you choose your own shortcuts is really at that location (~/Library/etc…) Make sure you check the right ~/Library. It can be hidden and you can access it by pressing alt key while clicking on the Go to Menu in the Finder.
Hope it helps!

I’m really sorry; I was talking absolute rubbish.