Key Editor won't open

Hi,

I’m having trouble opening the key editor (piano roll) in Cubase 8 Pro.

If I select a MIDI track and double-click on it, nothing happens.

Please note the mouse etc is fine (it functions fine in everything else)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Do you use more than one video monitor?

Hi, no just one

Can you try the key command and see if that opens it? You could open Cubase in Safe Mode or even trash the preferences and let Cubase rebuild. (Always save your preferences somewhere else first.) I’m assuming this has never worked for you in C8?

If none of that works maybe turn in a support ticket for help.

No, it works intermittently. It always opens via the menu option. It’s just double-clicking on a block of midi. It’s very odd.

Then the only other option I can think of is to trash your preferences, (save all the stuff temporarily like on your desktop) then re-start Cubase and let it re-build.

Assuming your mouse works with other applications, if the above doesn’t work I would contact Steinberg Tech support.

I have the same problem and posted it here a few days ago.

I seem to have this problem as well on some cpr files I open. I also cannot rename tracks by double clicking. It seems many editing features are frozen for some reason. Some cpr files work fine and some bak files work (thank God). Very strange behavior!

What is on top that is “buried?” Another window? VSTI? Media bay? Is that function that buries the key editor checked as Always On Top? Apologizes if that sounds too basic, but this wasn’t mentioned in your link.

Yes, I’m finding renaming is hit and miss.

Waiting for 8.0.1… :laughing:

When opening the Key Editor (by clicking on the MIDI track), sometimes it opens, mostly it does not. when it does open, sometimes the focus is on the Key Editor Window, and other times the focus remains on the previous window you had open. Sometimes the key editor window remains in the background and sometimes it moves to the foreground as it should.

Hope that explains it. (focus, foreground, etc. are windows programming terms, if that is what you are asking about?)
thanks.

It does explain it. Are you able to use ctr+tab to change focus when this happens? Continually hitting ctr+tab should cycle through all the windows you have open.

Have you had a chance to either start Cubase in safe mode or trash your preferences and let it do a re-build?

Personally, I’m still getting this intermittently and I have done a fresh install more than once now, as (along with other problems I’m experiencing with C8P) it’s driving me crazy. So, yes, I’m still getting the particular problem that when I double click on a block of MIDI, it doesn’t not always open the key editor

It happened to me yesterday! I couldn’t open the key editor. Once I selected another track and came back to the first one, it worked. Weird!

What is on top that is “buried?” Another window? VSTI? Media bay? Is that function that buries the key editor checked as Always On Top? Apologizes if that sounds too basic, but this wasn’t mentioned in your link.[/quote]

When opening the Key Editor (by clicking on the MIDI track), sometimes it opens, mostly it does not. when it does open, sometimes the focus is on the Key Editor Window, and other times the focus remains on the previous window you had open. Sometimes the key editor window remains in the background and sometimes it moves to the foreground as it should.

Hope that explains it. (focus, foreground, etc. are windows programming terms, if that is what you are asking about?)
thanks.[/quote]

It does explain it. Are you able to use ctr+tab to change focus when this happens? Continually hitting ctr+tab should cycle through all the windows you have open.

Have you had a chance to either start Cubase in safe mode or trash your preferences and let it do a re-build?[/quote]

+1. Things work differently now. Just take the time to figure out how it works.

If you have strange behavior, then try the prefs delete thing. I am guessing it is just getting used to the way windows work with Cubase 8.

In my case, the Key Editor is not already open.

Not trying to be anal, but “fresh install” the way I understand it, would NOT correct the problem.

I’m not qualified to comment about opening Cubase in safe mode, but doing a “fresh install” would NOT trash the preferences. When you delete Cubase from the control panel it’s not going to delete some of the things that could potentially be the problem. These include preferences, key commands, all kinds of defaults, midi & track control settings…lots of stuff. You will loose this unless you move all of it somewhere else when Cubase “re-builds” everything.

I’m guessing a user is particularly susceptible if you simply copied all the 7.5 stuff into the 8.0 folder.

Trash (or move everything) inside the Cubase folder to some other place. Then do the “fresh instal.”

If you have already done this please disregard.

I’ve already done that before. By clean install, I mean everything, from Windows up. I installed 8 into a new folder too.

I can’t reproduce your issue on my system. I also do not have an answer. :frowning:

:frowning: I’m totally fed up with it all