Keycommand on swedish keyboard doesn't work

Most key commands are working in Dorico 3.5.10. I am on Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave
However the key command for several articulations as staccato doesn’t give any respond.
I try to use [ and ] , none of these works on a swedish keyboard. I can’t find any other combination of keys that does the job either.
Is this possible to fix ?

Welcome to the forum, Ingvar. I’m afraid Dorico doesn’t come with a set of key commands defined for a Swedish keyboard. You may need to define your own key commands in the Key Commands page of Preferences.

Thank’s Daniel - That solved it !

Hi! I’m starting my journey with Dorico and really love how easy it is after many unhappy years with Finale. I’m using Swedish/Finnish keyboard too and was just wondering what of the default keyboards was closest to the Swedish one, Ingvar? There seems to be a lot of tiny things to change and would love to do it properly now and then not have to think about it.

Hi Miika !

Actually I haven’t thought about the language settings - I have used swedish keyboard without problems
You can build your own shortcut setup - if you’re used to Finale - perhaps use some of your old shortcuts

Ingvar

Actually I did not find that this really matters. One might try to use the German language set where the keyboard layout is quite similar but your keyboard will not send the right characters anyway. Unless you want to change your keyboard layout settings in your OS, that works a little bit better.

What I did was to use the “standard” language and then reprogram keys. Sometimes this can be done via the Key Commands settings, sometimes you will have to use some external way to reprogram.

For instance – if we want the keys for natural, flat and sharp where they are on an english keyboard …

… we have to change the swedish/finnish…

The “0” and the “+” are no problem, easily changed through the Key Commands page. But the accent is not so easy as it needs to be used in combination with some other letter, like á or à. So that one I changed with Autohotkey (Windows only, if you are on Mac there are other ways).
I actually changed these three to Natural, Sharp, Flat, just because it seemed logical to have the sharp on the plus sign.

Same procedure for the key just below, “¨”:
This one will also need special treatment with AHK.

Here I did:
å and ¨ = accent, staccato
ä and ’ = marcato, staccatissimo
“-” = tenuto
Also here not exactly the same as default, but almost.

Hope this helps,
good luck,
LAE.

I think it would be a kind thing from fellow advanced Doricians to share their keycommands_xx.json when they are optimized — I have done so for French mac shortcuts along with a pdf that explains my choices. Especially with languages that are not handled natively by Dorico.

It certainly would! The question is: are they ever optimized? My own json contains lots of really not thought through shortcuts that I did in a rush, but have ever since became part of my muscle memory. Sometimes I try to clean them up into something more logical and optimized, but I almost always revert back to the old ones.

Do you have a link to your pdf?

It’s freely available in the groupe des utilisateurs francophones de Dorico on FB, I think.
Here’s the direct link: Dorico Pro 2.2 raccourcis français mac
Not really up-to-date but the main shortcuts are there. A very good start for beginners.

Thanks. Does this mean that you changed many of the pre defined shortcuts in the “official” french language setting as well? Or are you sharing the new ones that you invented? Or maybe both!

Actually both. In French, there’s a difference from all other layouts I know: we need to use shift to access numbers. That is an unnecessary stroke to input rhythm values, so I had to invert rhythm values and articulations.
The other changes are supposed to make things easier with my layout, and there are many other shortcuts — as I am responsible for the french version of Notation Express for Streamdeck (sold by Notation Central).

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll ask around a bit more if people have made their own solutions so that I wouldn’t have to do everything myself, but I will do it if I have to.

But if I get to improvise, I will really make my own, unorthodox solutions (just don’t tell Daniel…). For example, I will definitely get rid of the double whole note value and then make the accidentals 9 is b, 0 is natural and + is sharp. (ascending in music and in the hand, and 0+shift is =, which is definitely natural).

1 Like

9 0 + sounds like a smart solution!

I am actually going through my key commands file now because there is something in it that causes problems with typing } in engrave mode Cannot type } in text frames - Dorico - Steinberg Forums
So I am recreating the key commands, cleaning up and reconsidering. Probably I will share it when I am done, but I have a strong feeling that this is a “to each his own” thing.

Regarding the flat/natural/sharp shortcuts, I just added “+” for sharp. Then I have
0 = natural, + = sharp, - = flat

Does not lie as nicely under the hand, but it has its logic anyway.