Kontakt, Halion Sonic SE, VST Instruments and Cubase 8 Pro

…and here are the task manager screenshots…

i meant the OS taskmanager. (run - taskmgr)
See picture in attachment. (grabbed from the net)
It says a lot about how the core is used.

Hi, taskman3 & taskman4 are o/s taskmanager s/shots - Win 7 64-bit

I’ve just seen today that, with asio guard on, if I freeze the HSSE instrument, the Cubase performance meter hardly drops at all. If it is lower, it’s a tiny amount, barely noticeable.

This cannot be right, surely ?

dman2014- maybe the use of VSTs is a red herring, and the issue is elsewhere. I don’t want to get your hopes up, but I had a problem on my machine where mouse movement would cause spikes in the ASIO meter, and it took me a while to realize that that was the issue. This doesn’t sound precisely like your issue, but it’s worth mentioning.

The problem was most pronounced when I had the Project Window maximized and the pref to Select Tool Shows Extra Info activated. If I changed the window size the issue would be less pronounced in proportion to the size of the window, which is why I thought it would be a gpu issue.

The solution here was to buy a cheap video card. I posted about it previously:

Hey Steve,
Tx for passing by!

@dman: hadn’t seen those screenshots. nothing going one there, an very little processor usage, but still very high asio.

FWIW, i had another idea that i encountered with another user a while ago. He was using an extreme low latency setting, and his system could note deal with it. Once he used normal settings, everything went fine.

F.e.: 10 ms is not noticeable, and if you are trying to run lower settings then that with an external USB device, that can cause issues.
What are your settings ?

On the audio interface, I’ve tried different latency settings. On the interface software, you can only choose from Short, Medium, Long and Very Long. No noticeable difference on any.

The interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 on FireWire, using a TI-compliant chipset / board

However, I get the same issue if I try the Steinberg UR22 interface via USB.

The only thing I have noticed on this issue is, although this was a problem in Cubase 7.5, it is now a much bigger problem for me in Cubase 8.

Have you increased the ram buffer in kontakt settings? This solved pops and cut outs for me, huge difference buts its global across all instances and will absorb memory fast.

Otherwise I found optimization in C8 .10…by:
Turning off asio guard.
Turn on multi core in Cubase.
Turn off multicore in Kontakt.
Use SSD drives for C drive and all VST drives.
If your CPU is Old, update it if you can , i7 k. Or. Haswell system …

Hi, yes I increased it from instrument default to the max setting it would allow but it hasn’t stopped this issue.

I should mention again that this is only a problem I experience with VSTi’s when using Cubase. I don’t get this with Sonar.

Again, the problem existed for me with Cubase 7.5 but it is now much worse in Cubase 8.

I too found turning asio guard OFF helped a little - but it does not make the problem manageable. It’s still a show-stopper when I need a lot of VSTi’s

The PC is an Intel i7 4770 (Haswell) - 3.6GHz with 32 GB RAM

I am still stuck with this problem and it is stopping me from getting on.

hey dman, I have the same problem. Searching around for a solution and came up with this thread. Registered (at last) just to share my problem in here. One instance of HSSE with multiple midi inputs causing CPU spikes. Opening the key editor makes the CPU spikes worse, almost unable to work. Rendering and disabling HSSE as a workaround, just to finish the project.
System is Win7 with i7 4930K @ 3.4GHz, 32GB
Maybe it has something to do with graphic card drivers. Mine is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, what’s yours?

I am having the same problems, also, and it’s driving me crazy.
I have Pro Tools 11 (vanilla) on the same machine and with the same VST load the machine barely breaks a sweat.

I’ve seen many performance load and spiking issues across this and other forums concerning Cubase 8.
Slightly different situations but the same basic issues.

Torn my hair out for 3 days trying to fix the problem to no avail.
So . . . I decided to quit creative work for a while and build the new machine I’ve had sitting around for a while hoping that would solve things . . .
But Dman2014 - your running a machine almost like what I’m building (6 core 5820K on X99 w/32G) so . . .

What’s up?

Hugh

the OP has East West in specs. This was a common issue for loads of people using the play engine which caused huge disruption in Cubase. It was resolved by finding the correct graphics driver, something to do with conflicts with quick time dll’s by all accounts.

Rolling back the graphics drivers worked here for many other people, it might be worth you looking in that area…?

In my case no more spikes caused from Halion Sonic SE by enabling Multi-Core (it was OFF)
Open Halion Sonic SE → Options → Performance → Multi-Core - change it to 4 or 6
Also in Disc Streaming, Balance full RAM since you have 32GB

Also disabled Record on Selected MIDI Track
File → Preferences → Editing → Project & Mix Console → un-tick Enable Record on Selected MIDI Track

Used to have a very bad performance when playing from Halion SE and many spikes when opening the MIDI Editor
No spikes now and improved overall performance

In my case, it’s no worse with the key editor open.

I’m not at a point where I can render, as I’m still writing and need to be able to quickly adjust notes in other tracks.

I have tried an AMD 6450, nVidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB and my on-board Intel HD 4600. The Intel 4600 is a better graphics processor than the AMD 6450. Between the three, there was little difference at all. No notable or useful improvement.

Performance on my PC is far better on Cubase 7.5

It’s worrying that you are having the problems and you are a few steps up on the processor. I only have the i7 4770 - the non-K version

I’ve tried all the drivers for the Intel HD 4600 (and the AMD 4650 & nVidia GTX 760)… totally fed up of Cubase 8 now with this problem

I did find that enabling multi-core in HSSE helped a lot in Cubase 7.5. But on my machine at least, I don’t get any performance benefit doing it in C8.

The difference on the Disc Streaming is also hardly noticeble in my case with C8.

:frowning:

Dman,

Try this utility, maybe it will shed some light on the problem…

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon.

Good luck.

Here is a snapshot of the project and peformance meter sat idle:

…And the mix console: