Latency affect recording?

Hey, so i know latency will affect when i press a key on midi keys and when it comes back through my headphones…

BUT will it actually effect the signal being recorded into cubase?

E.g. will recording at buffer size 1024 vs 64 have a different result?

Thankx

Hi,

The recording is exactly the same on both cases.

1 Like

i record at 64 because it seems to have the least effect in the headphones

Is that the recommended/normal buffer for recording?

That depends, hardware and drivers influences the latency. There is not a exact number of buffers that everyone just should use.
Set it as low as your system allows, without it starting to introduce audio artefacts. That number can be different from project to project.
Personally I can get away with a 128 sample buffer and asioguard turned ON for the majority of projects. That gives me a latency around 4ms on my RME device and around 8ms on my Steinberg device.

1 Like

ok thanks. does that mean you go in and move your recorded parts 4ms after recording?

generally, no you don’t move your part after recording.

just to complicate the whole situation and worry you further.

• MIDI has latency AND jitter
  • MIDI is serial and a MIDI ‘on’ note takes about 1ms to send - so a big jazzy chord will actually be smeared over 6 or 7ms because of MIDI alone.
  • VST instruments have latency - and sometimes any samples have a bit of ‘air’ in front of them creating more ‘latency’
  • Lost of D/A convertors add ADDITIONAL latency not reported back to cubase
  • Sound takes approximately 1ms per 34cm to reach your ears (admittedly not relevant on headphones)

In most instances you automatically allow for this when you play - just as you allow for the natural ‘latency’ in a piano key. 4ms delay is about 1.4 meters - so approx the distance from your ears to the microphone position when micing up a grand piano.

TLDR: if it sounds good then don’t worry :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer the question precisely, MIDI is recorded when you hit the keys, and not when you hear audio, so it isn’t influenced by ASIO latency.

1 Like

not quite - but very nearly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know of a AD2 forum? or know how to use it in depth?

XLN AD2 ? I’m not sure there is one - it’s fairly straightforward - post in the lounge here and somebody might help

I have contacted their support team.

But JFF… Yes XLN AD2 have several tambourines, however only 2 of them have 3 different stroke options. I cannot for the life of me figure how to map those extra strokes_ anyone know?

^^^^^^^^^

lounge?

That was only a basic explanation :roll_eyes:

1 Like

In the Map Window.

sorry, it was the word

that fooled me :slight_smile: - I thought I’d given the more ‘precise’ explanation previously :roll_eyes:

incidentally, trivia fans, I suspect that Cubase/Nuendo still support LTB as part of their MIDI system. The Midex range of interfaces are the only ones that I’m aware of that use it - but theoretically that would reduce, but not eliminate jitter/latency from midi in/out.

just sayin’

(although Greg thinks it may not be necessary)

LTB/Midex8 was a design from Christoph Kemper, Access Music founder and Virus line designer.

It works very well on older version of Cubase, but on a current system with modern Cubase 8.5+, external MIDI timing seems just marginally better on a Midex than with a regular USB MIDI interface. As a whole, it doesn’t get any tighter compared to early versions back to VST5 & SX…