License management and the future of the eLicenser – changes ahead

Thanks. I have read your post, already. But it doesn’t answer to this simple case : let’s suppose that an user stops upgrading Cubase for any reason, as I did in 2013, few months after the Cubase 7.0.x disaster. Since, I have kept and used 6.5.5 for more than five years, as it was reliable, contrarily to its successor, this, until an upgrade to C10, 20 months ago.

It’s the dongle that has allowed me to choose when and why I would need an upgrade or not, without any time pressure. So, will the new system still allow this ?

This is my main concern, actually…

3 Likes

Then there is no reason to be concerned. We are not planning to force anyone into updating. It’s just the license management that’s going to change.

2 Likes

Great… What is reassuring with the present eLicenser/dongle system is that I’m sure that, even if I had to change my whole system setup (as I did, 15 months ago), the licence is here, at disposal for any new installation, and without any internet connection concern, beside the occasional eLicenser update.

Just hope that the future system will be as reliable and not internet dependent as the eLicenser/dongle one…

2 Likes

How about say a little USB device that you can store your activated licence on so that you can then run your software on any computers that you own (not at the same time but no problem there’s only one of me) and you don’t need the internet to work on your software.

I’m not sure why so many here fantasize that the new protection would require you to be online the whole time. Where are the real world examples of the DAW’s which require you to be online non stop to work on them? Why so much angst?

2 Likes

As long as the team has good ideas about how to implement this, I don’t feel strongly either for or against the change.

What I need to know as a user:

- How many systems will I be able to use Cubase on? (and my choice of all/none Steinberg instruments etc)

Ideally, it should be one activation for all systems and all purchased products and not separate. (Now, my dongle after all activations etc is my “One-in-All” verification token.) I have the dongle, I use all I possess. I don’t have the dongle, I don’t.

- Minimal drama when making hardware changes to an already registered system, or moving from system to system.

Personally, I use Cubase on at least 2 computers, I could easily be using it on three or more. After all, it’s just the dongle that I carry around. If I need to change a motherboard, memory, a cpu, please make identification/verification as painless as possible.

- Protect Cubase.

This goes without saying. Protect Cubase, while giving us the best experience.

Like this? :smiley:
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 20.14.49

5 Likes

I’m hoping it will become closer to a ‘per user’ license, rather than a ‘per machine’ method currently. Meaning that as long as you are the sole user you can use on a few machines, just not at the same time of course. But i suspect it will stay per machine, but hopefully offering 2-3 ready pre-activated for use which we could manage via mysteinberg.

I think most interesting would be how an account with multiple licenses of the same software be handled. i.e. what would the benefits be of an account with two Cubase 11 licenses vs an account with a single. I’m guessing it will be the ability to run Cubase on two machines simultaneously.

Of course, if the e-licenser is not requiring of the internet at all times, the ability to run Cubase on two machines with a single license may ultimately come down to use abiding to license agreements rather than DRM style locks (i.e. an element of trust) - as if it’s not always on, there’s no awareness of which machine has the license.

There’s so much to consider when you start to break down the possibilities. I was due to get a second Cubase license in the next lot of sales later in the year. But with this announcement, I’m more tempted to steer myself deeper into the Steinberg libraries with something like the Absolute collection and bed into their eco system.

With the dongle, i’ve always been more hesitant to commit - Purely as i move between desktop and laptop frequently.

That seems logical to me too. But unless the team gives us some hints, we’re just making assumptions here.

I do believe that going dongle-less will bring in new customers though.

What about the case where one user has purchased multiple USB eLicensers and multiple licenses in order to be able to use a product on multiple machines in different locations?

If a user of a single license is in future able to activate a product on multiple machines, does that not diminish the value of the investment made by the user with multiple USB eLicensers and licenses?

2 Likes

Hello,

As @chakkman and others have expressed I think many folks are honestly surprised there are a significant number who “like” or at least appreciate the eLicenser dongle. There are many threads about the issues, failures, and inconveniences of the dongles and I can understand those who are having problems. You know the forum situation - the problems are the ones expressed while the non-problems are often not.
Without further information from Steinberg I can’t say how this will affect us. However it appears with future licensing the dongle will not be there but again, we’ll see. For our use the dongle, or more specifically the lack of need to connect to the internet except for updates, is important. Here’s our use case -
We have 2 PT vanilla systems, 6 PT HDX3 systems, and approximately 14 or so Nuendo systems, most with triple Madi cards, some with smaller interfaces. That’s approximately 22 dongles with licenses. We have another dozen or more daws with all the software installed ready to go. Some have SourceConnect, some have AudioMovers, some have SessionLinkPro, some have RTW metering, some have specific software packages… etc. All different form factors based on what the client needs. Some shows require a laptop with an expansion chassis or other interface - ok that’s a choice of daws 4,11,12,15,16,17,18,19. Some require a single-rack chassis with three Madi ports - ok that’s daws 1,2,3,4,7,8. Some want a Mac tower (for some reason) - ok that’s daws 5,6,14. Some want PT vanilla - that’s any of them. Some want PT HDX3 with Madi - that’s daws 9,10,14, plus any other with an expansion chassis. Etc. We give them what they want and get paid for it.
So - We move our licenses around all the time. Pull a dongle and ship with another system. Last week we had a situation with a remote VO and sweetener and were set to use SourceConnect and a usb Madi interface. As a precaution I sent a Nuendo dongle even though they were going to use SCP natively, once there the op said he wanted a daw, didn’t know Nuendo, I shipped him a PTHD dongle (the sweetener was surround, needed HD) at increased cost. He plugged it in and was happy and we got paid. We swap licenses and systems all the time.
These systems are staged, ready to go, and may not see the light of day for 6 months in the shop then ship out at a moment’s notice unless they’re cannibalized as mentioned above. For the two situations - ready to go system or put-together system for a given show - we often won’t be able to do something like connect to internet, download/exchange a license, or whatever. If, for instance, a local license expires after some period of time and needs to be connected, that will be a hardship. If we have to connect a given system to the internet to give up it’s license to move elsewhere, that’s a hardship. Not being able to grab a hardware license and move to another daw will be a hardship and I’m not sure how to work around it.
Because our systems are frequently used in the LA studio systems we don’t have internet access. With some studios, never. So when a system ships to a location we frequently won’t be able to connect to renew, exchange, or put on another license, depending on what is needed. I’m not sure how to work around that either.

As mentioned we don’t know what Steinberg has planned so my above scenarios are guesses. But they’re an example of a real-world situation where swapping soft licenses may be harder than moving a usb dongle. As some have mentioned I won’t be forced to give up the dongle, but it appears future products and upgrades will not have a usb dongle unless I’m mistaken, meaning upgrading Nuendo will require it, maybe. I don’t know what form that will take but am concerned it will harm us.

Sincerely,
Hugh

3 Likes

If Steinberg allow more than one activation, there may not even be the need to move licenses. Just authorize two computers, and you can even run Cubase on both machines simultaneously.

I like two types of authorization, simple serial and dongle(or iLok). Both ways allow a simple way to reinstall if your machine crashes and no activation popups, server problems, etc. With that said it’s a good idea to have an alternative for those who can’t remember things or take care of their things…like a dongle :wink:

Bill

No way. iLok dongle is the worst of all worlds. Horrible idea.

2 Likes

In most cases, it’s very simple with machine activations as well. The authorized computers are either listed in your website account, or in the authorization software, and, mostly, it’s as easy as to deactivate the machine which crashed, and activate the new machine you want to install the software on.

Although I never in my life had a computer crash so badly that I even had to think about stuff like that. :slight_smile: It can happen, of course, especially hard drives can crash.

Plugging and unplugging a dongle is even easier :wink:

Bill

3 Likes

Every DAW software has been hacked, with the exception of Cubase Pro since Cubase 5, thanks to the USB eLicenser.

With iLok, all software has been hacked, whether on dongle or not. If VSL goes on iLok, all sample libraries would be hacked within a year, I’m sure. When sample libraries are hacked, it’s much worse than when software is hacked. With software, you have to crack the product again with every update; with samples, it’s usually enough to crack it once.

There is no better system than the eLicenser, I don’t think there will be a solution without a hardware dongle in the future that offers a better way to protect your investment. If Steinberg removes the possibility that I can no longer upgrade my licenses on the dongle at a reasonable price, then I will no longer be able to afford any Steinberg software.

1 Like

Very good example, @Hugh , I hope Steinberg think this out. Over the years many have built entire ecosystems around the fact that with Steinberg products, it’s one license, on one USB eLicenser, per instance.

Agreed, I think the USB eLicenser must remain at least as an option.

4 Likes

Not really. If you have the software installed and authorized, it’s as easy as booting up the DAW.

Yes, really. Please read the thread before making a call on it.