List of VST2 plugins without VST3 versions

yes I’ve been in contact with them - and, no, they don’t know if they will support them. As I’ve suggested many/most developers will make this a PAID update so even if it’s eventually updated then it will cost us $$$.

really ? Personally, I’m more than happy with VST2, I’m not asking them to drop it or support VST3 - especially if it is going to cost me money. Money that will be spent with no actual net benefit to me the customer.

Steinberg are the ones who want to get rid of it, not me and not Korg. All other hosts support VST2 just fine…maybe YOU should listen to the huge STEINBERG community requesting you continue to support VST2 - at the very least with some kind of ‘unsupported’ wrapper. This means we can continue to use our valuable plugins (worth far more $ than Cubase/Nuendo ) and open older and legacy projects.

Too much to ask ?

Just buy Bluecat Patchwork and it will let you use your native VST2 in C12 native M1. Also, with the latest update, it lets AUs non-native work in C12 native.

I know it’s an extra expense but that is one extra plug-in that lets you use all of your old plugins without any restrictions. There is no more waiting for VST3 conversions with it.

It’s not a perfect solution but it works.

with the very greatest respect - it certainly works but it’s only a partial solution.

for example:

• There is no backwards compatibility with existing projects.
  • It’s handling of multichannel audio isn’t really satisfactory - try it with a Atmos/Surround plugin such as AudioEase Indoor/AltiverbXL (both of which cost more than Cubase)
  • it’s latency handling isn’t always perfect
  • it doesn’t always handle MIDI input correctly

What it does demonstrate is that a solution IS possible. If Steinberg cared enough about it’s longstanding customers they could implement something.

You would think, in 2022, with such a competitive and dynamic audio software market they would want to do whatever they could to retain users, give us choices, listen to their customers…let’s see if that’s true.

I think we’ve all seen some very curious decisions made by Cubase/Nuendo product management over the last decade or so. This most certainly isn’t the worst but it’s certainly irritating, SB please reconsider.

As I said, it’s not a perfect solution. I must say, I have had had no issue with it so far with plugins and midi. Im not mixing multichannel though.

I imagine Steinberg have very good reasons for doing what they are doing. “New” plug-in developers can no longer create a VST2 so their time is limited. But there are developers who are switching to VST3 from previous incarnations too. Even the new UADx is VST3 and all I have heard from users is UAD are never going VST3, but, quietly in the background , UAD are. Though we might have to wait another 6 months to see what UAD do with their DSP line.

There is a lot of waiting going on, I have an M1 Mac Book Pro so waiting is baked into that unfortunately. It’s not a perfect situation that is for sure.

I feel your pain waiting for developers to do their stuff and it might not make them any extra money for all the extra work they put in.

2 Likes

FWIW - latest version of UVI workstation released today - now VST3 :clap:

3 Likes

Korg synths have been updated to VST3 native now which is great. Not all of them but all of mine have. They were M1 native before but only VST2 so good to get the VST3 versions.

1 Like

UVI SparkVerb and Relayer have been just upgraded to VST3 as well :+1:

I had a hope late yesterday when the toontrack installer updated. I thought if Ezdrummer 3 is going to be VST3, well would they also change Superior Drummer to VST3 ?

I did not even check this morning because I thought it was such a long shot lol

But the first thing I see when I logged in was an update to Superior drummer 3.

I opened C12 on my M1 Mac in native mode and there is Superior drummer available as a VST3 instrument :slight_smile:

And the update to VST3 is totally free, no need to wait for Superior Drummer 4.

And the GUI can be resized as well.

2 Likes

When was Komplete Kontrol updated to VST3? Updated all my NI’s last night and noticed it. Not read anything that it was available.

that was some months ago, I believe, and Maschine 2 is now also a VST3 plugin since last week.

But neither of seem to be able to act as VST3 host so far, judging by my experience with the new VST3 version of Synthmaster 2.

I just sent an email to lexpro this AM (before reading this thread) asking the same question. I will post the response once I receive it.

Just seen this thread. It’s interesting that this is having further implications than Cubase itself - Izotope have announced that they’re not doing Apple Silicon VST2 versions moving forward, only VST3.

Following the merger with Native Instruments I suspect they have seen the sense in this. I have felt Izotope were slow slow to embrace VST3 in the past.

iZotope have gone further still - they will not be releasing VST2 support in any new or upgraded products. The recently released Neutron 4 does not have VST2 support on any platform.

jus a note that XLN have released some VST3 plugins today which is great!.

2 Likes

You right! Just downloaded that update - everything now works natively in Nuendo 12 on Mac. Rosetta - no more. MAGIC.
We need to go and buy some AD-packs from XLN as a special Thanks!

Sugar Bytes have released VST3 yesterday. Not on the old Wow plugin but Wow2 is.

Steinberg really ought to see reason here: dropping support for VST 2.4 is a bad move. I have many, many older plugins that I rely on that may never be updated.

It’s enough to cause me to seriously consider dropping Cubase altogether.

I’ve emphasized in other threads that stability and usability should take precedence for Steinberg over many other things they’re trying to do that we didn’t ask for. This would fall under that rubric.

Steinberg: please reconsider. This is going to hurt us, and quite possibly you.

VST2 plugins still work fine in Cubase 12 on Windows. If you are on Mac, then the problem is that Apple completely changed their hardware, and it’s too much to expect developers to rework software that was already out of support.

But this thread is about finding alternatives, and notifying one another about VST3 versions as they appear. Is there a specific plugin that you need to find a VST3 version for, or alternative to?

Pretty much every major plugin developer has adopted or is in the process of adopting VST3 by now.

Can you make a list of these older VST 2.4 plugins that you still use? There’s probably multiple alternatives, including updated versions made by the original developers after joining other companies that you might not be aware of.

1 Like