Loop playback

Hi, I’m new to Dorico and I’ve just bought Dorico Elements3. Was wondering how can I make looped playback without having to make repeat bar lines on the score? I want to be able to select a few bars and just repeat that few plays in the playback. Is this achievable?

5 Likes

Nope. It’s (relatively) frequently requested but as yet there’s no functionality for looping playback.

2 Likes

hi since you are here, may I know how do I create a single multi-rests bar in Dorico?

You might be able to simulate looping with 1,2, or 4-measure repeat regions.

1 Like

When I practice a piece, I would like the following loop features: (1) loop beginning measure number, loop ending measure number; (2) number of times the piece loops – infinite loop or specific number of loops; (3) set the starting loop metronome speed and ending metronome speed; (4) the ability to increase the metronome speed automatically after each loop by a set increment metronome speed (e.g., 3 bpm) from the starting metronome speed to the ending metronome speed (and/or set a specific number of loops before the metronome speed increments). These features would be very helpful. Thanks.

1 Like

Looping over the selected measures would be rather helpful to my workflow. Hopefully this feature will make its way into Dorico 4!

4 Likes

Hi Pianoleo, just thinking about buying Dorico for percussion training. Having plenty of notation sheets I’d like to bring them to Dorico. But for training it’d be essential to have loop features by just marking some bars and repeat them infinitely. Is that planned for Dorico 4?
Else: From what I saw its a wonderful piece of Software

Welcome to the forum, @jcjwjj.

I’m not privy to the intentions of the development team, and they tend not to announce new functionality until it’s actively being developed. The last official mention I can find is the following, from last July.

100% agree
Important for musical education at any level is looping some parts of the composition, e.g. breaks and bridges, untils your pupils got it. The great benefit would be, if they could follow the notation visually and not a piano roll like in DAW’s for that, in order to let them get used to notation. Dorico is close to it. Can’t be so difficult to add start and stop loop markers. Purists of notation just wouldn’t use them, all others could.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome, @pianoleo
Important for musical education at any level is looping some parts of the composition, e.g. breaks and bridges, untils your pupils got it. The great benefit would be, if they could follow the notation visually and not a piano roll like in DAW’s for that, in order to let them get used to notation. Dorico is close to it. Can’t be so difficult for SW development to add start and stop loop markers. Purists of notation just wouldn’t use them, all others could.

I can’t speak for the development team, but it’s usually not a case of something being easy or difficult; it’s a matter of priorities. Dorico is a young product with a small development team and they can’t implement everything at once.

1 Like

It is very simple to create loops of arbitrary length, albeit with the intervention of 2 fingers…

Select a note. Press P to start playback. Press <space> to pause. If you press P again the playback will jump back to your selected note, else <space> will continue from the point you have reached.

The default behaviour is to follow playback.

1 Like

Is there way to make a macro for this?

1 Like

Why would you want to?

One step simpler. It adds up when you do it to lot of procedures.

2 Likes

Aside from that I sometimes play something along with the part I’m listening to. Why keep starting it over manually?0

2 Likes

I agree this feature would be great! In the meantime, if it’s just for practice, you could temporarily put in repeat signs and then toggle “play n times” and put in an unnecessarily high number like 30 times. I do this all the time. It’s clunky but does the job well enough for certain purposes.

1 Like

Great suggestion, @DrRabbits – I had to go search for where ‘play n times’ was… for the uninitiated… select the repeat, then in the properties panel at bottom of screen. Unfortunately, it maxes out at 50.

please Add this feature to dorico :pray: :pray: :pray:

4 Likes

of course I currently do as @Janus suggests. Nevertheless, being able to focus purely on trying out new ideas without having to break concentration is not to be underestimated. There have been enough requests for this feature, which many will be used to from a DAW like Cubase, that I think it should merit serious consideration.

1 Like