Loopmash..here we go again...

It took all the self control I possess to leave the comparison to the iFart apps out of the comment. :open_mouth:

Damn … there goes a full 10 minutes of self control out the window. It was almost a record.

wait… what?

Have you actually done this? How do you drag the sample from explorer to Battery without Battery’s GUI disappearing?

:laughing:

AOT?

haha I knew someone would bring that up… YES I have Battery set to “Always On Top”

Right.

So has the ADMIN therefore given a workaround for a future implementation?

Nope.

Hi Stealth

I’m saying, has JHP offered a “solution” whereby the file explorer is used in addition to mediabay, so that in effect you aren’t dragging from mediabay as such but rather using it (mediabay) to find the location of a file on the file system and then you drag from there.

The problem now seems that dragging from the operating system to the plug in doesn’t work, is that correct?

I’m sorry what do you mean “file system”? Are talking about the browser in Battery?

Thats always been the problem along with not being able to drag from Mediabay to 3rd party VSTs… but apparently according to JHP its just a simple matter of dragging from explorer to Battery :laughing:

By file system I mean the native OS.

If users could drag a file from the Operating System to a plug in, then would that not be helpful, even though mediabay would only be used to find the file on the system?

Of course the end game would be to drag directly from mediabay, but first things first I believe.

Cheers

Yes IF this feature was a reality that would be VERY helpful! But according to JHP this feature is already available :open_mouth:

Maybe it is coming in the 5.5.3/6.1 update (providing the numbers are correct)?

Of course this works in Cubase 5.5.2 as well and as far as I know even in earlier versions.

Set you VSTi to “Always On Top” then–>

• Search for the Sample in the Media Bay
    • Right click on it and choose “Show in explorer/Finder”.
    • Drag the sample to your VSTi
      I have to add something to my workflow description because there is indeed a slight irregularity regarding the explorer and the GUI of the VSTi that I did not consider when writing that description:

Make sure that the Cubase window and the explorer window are not covering each other up so you must drag the window border of Cubase to the side a bit.
I always drag the right border to the left a bit and have the explorer on the right side of my screen already setup. When the explorer window opens you must click back to the Cubase window one time to highlight it. The Cubase window must be highlighted and you must click directly on the sample file and drag it to battery. That most definitely works and the usecase of dragging a sample to a VSTi is covered. This is a quick way to drag together your own kits and to throw together some samples. Apart from that you even have the OS’s features regarding the file handling and sorting because the finder and the explorer are integrated in that workflow and they add the OS’s functionality that may even be extendable with OS specific add ons. Try it and see how it works, you’ll appreciate this method. The method is quick and works very well. Its click, click, drag, drag, done.

To correct my describtion and add the details:

Set you VSTi to “Always On Top” then–>

1. Search for the Sample in the Media Bay
  2. Drag right Cubase window border to the left a bit
  3. Have the Explorer/finder already setup to open on the right side of the Cubase window border
  4. In the MediaBay right click on the sample and choose “Show in explorer/Finder”. (If you do this the first time now is the time to drag the explorer window to the right and setup the position as describe in step 3.)
  5. Click on the Cubase Window again to highlight it
  6. Drag the sample(s) to your VSTi by directly clicking on the files and dragging them. Do not click on the explorer/finder window to highlight it.
    Done

If you work with this method a bit you will get used to it and find that dragging a sample that you have looked up in the MediaBay to a VSTi becomes an intuitive piece of cake.

For anybody that would like to discuss drag n drop or the functionality I am referring to I would suggest to start a new thread. The hostile tone and attitude that is displayed in the OP and some other posts in this thread is not the way to go and is not ideal for heading towards constructive assessment. A factual objective thread would be more reasonable to assess if the actual usecases that are desired are covered or not. Regarding quick drag and drop to a VSTi they are. :wink:

Gr,
JHP

hi jan

Considering this subject is mostly about drum samples and samplers, while the method likely works; personally for me I’d never use it and I’m not wanting to be negative since for my work (tactile drum programming) I’d need groups of samples rather than single shots and I’m not sure media bay supports that.

Maybe I am completely incorrect but does mediabay support “collections” of drum samples per pad so if you drag a single file from medibay onto a GA1 pad it will load all the others at the same time?

Best

With the method I describe you can indeed select multiple samples and drag them to a VSTi. It depends on the VSTi how it handles multi file selections that are dragged to it. In some samplers you have options for that so you can decide if the samples are layered on one pad or spread over to multiple pads.

GR,
JHP

As suggested/ requested, a ‘fresh’ discussion on drag and drop.

Como

I’ve been trying to do the amazing workaround described

I cant get it to behave, the vsti & the window containing the samples both magically refuse to appear at the same time as each other.

Good method of torture though, :blush:

Am I really thick or does it not work??

No it doesn’t work the way you’re trying to do it…

This thread explains the correct workaround to drag n drop to a 3rd party VST:
:arrow_right: Mediabay-->Explorer/Finder-->VST Drag N Drop - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

Stealth

Got it to work thanks.

Still think its a fiddly carry on. lot of clicks to achieve a simple thing but it does work

Actually its just one extra click than it would take if you were dragging directly from Mediabay to Battery…

click 1- drag from Mediabay to VST-XML translator

click 2- drag from VST-XML translator to Battery (via the Cubase icon on the taskbar)

…and thats it! :slight_smile: