Lower zone sample Editor display out-of-range event selected in the upper zone/project window

Hi All,
Apologies for the basic question, does anyone know if we could automatically get the lower zone to display the event in the Sample Editor based on selected event in the upper zone/project window? I found if i select an audio event in the upper zone/project window that is beyond the existing range in the lower range (sill in the Sample Editor), I have scroll to the right or left in the lower zone to get to the event.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

The Sample Editor shows the whole Audio file, not the cut Audio Event.

First Bounce Selection, then the very same will appear in the Sample Editor.

Thanks Martin for the reply. I realised I didn’t clarify. This wasn’t a problem in Cubase 11. I am testing Cubase 13 now.
My audio samples were mainly say one-shot (short audio files) -they are scattered say between bar 10 to 45, all visible in Project Window/upper zone. First I select the audio file in bar 10 in the Project Window, the lower zone sample editor display it because it is already in range in the lower zone. However if I select the event in bar 45 in the project Window, the lower sample editor does not display it because it is out of the current range (eg only showing bar 10 to 30). I then have to scroll the lower zone to the right to bar 45 to display it. This creates another step. I am wondering if there’s something that can be done?

Hi,

I see. This is the same issue, which we have in the Key Editor for years. The common trick is to press the [F] key twice to force the editor to jump to the position, where the Cursor is. But this might not help to you, beause it looks you don’t move the Cursor, right?

Thanks Martin. Yeah I didn’t move the cursor. Hitting F doesn’t help, as it only activates auto-scroll in the project window. Cubase 11 doesn’t have the problem, the sample editor display the waveform automatically i.e even it the audio file is located at the far end of the Project Window, when i select it, the lower zone automatically display the waveform. Can it be a Cubase 13 thing?

Hi,

This is in Cubase 12 already, in fact. The think is, the Sample Editor knows about the position of the Audio Event in the project, what wasn’t the case in the past. In the past it showed just the Audio file. Now it shows the file in context of the whole project.

Thanks Martin for clarifying. Yes the Sample Editor does know the position but doesn’t display it when it’s out of range because it’s timeline is based on the the prior selection’s zoom zone. I suppose there’s no way to get those on events on the edges automatically appear in the lower zone other than scrolling the lower zone after you adjust. A logical next step would be to introduce a lower and upper zone sync for the Sample Editor since it now knows where the event it. This will increase workflow by alot. I came from Studio One where this is done automatically.

You can setup the Sample Editor so that it always shows you the selected audio event.
It is called the Zoom menu and is found in the upper bar of the editor:
grafik

Select “Auto-Zoom to Event”.

You can click on the eye icon (menu for Editor Display Mode) to setup whether you want to see the entire clip in the editor, only the selected event, or event and clip with the audio outside of the event slightly dimmed.

Thank you! Auto zoom to Event will work for me in avoiding to scroll left and right. Now if only the Global Zoom could be intelligent enough to identify where the clip is - I suppose in the future if there’s a way for the lower and upper zone time bar to be synced, the Global Zoom will work seamlessly. Studio One does this by default.

I find the name “Global Zoom” misleading for what the setting actually does: this means that the Sample Editor’s scroll and zoom becomes totally independent from the project. Basically the opposite of what you want.

For working in an editor in the Lower Zone it would be nice if the editor just scrolls and zooms along with the project view. I am not aware of such a setting in Cubase yet.

Regarding finding the clip: In Cubase we distinguish audio clips, events, parts, regions, and files. Many people on this forum use the term “region” and “clip” for what is actually an event.
Here’s a little explanation how things work in Cubase: