Mac Users - Experience & Thoughts of Cubase 8.

So it’s not just me! Sad to hear you’re getting many of my issues—happy to not be alone.

I’ve made a very specific topic for us 10.9 users. Let’s get any bugs identified and get this fixed! :smiley:

Please make a list there and let’s work on it.

Worked for a week since my first happy start with C8. One heavy project with lotsa vtis and inserts right from the C7.5 works really good and smooth. But then i started a new arrangement in my main big template and it was a hell by the time i was half-way finished… Takes about 3 seconds to save, drop-outs, glitches. Don’t know why - this project is lightweight compared to the previous.
My only guess is that there are some 3rd party plug-ins or other circumstances that make C8 slower. But no idea how to track these reasons.
My 7.5.2 used to crash on exits and sometimes mid-work. That still happens in C8 but feels like no as often as it did.

I’ve been using Cubase 8 on my early 2009 Mac Pro running Mavericks for part of a recording project.

Stability seems a little better, although there’s little in it - I’ve only seen the “video waiting…” message (you know the one!) once since upgrading, for instance, and apart from during the first ever application close, it hasn’t crashed on me yet.

I haven’t experienced any performance improvements - but, more importantly, there’s no performance degradation either.

I noticed that I lost transparency when dragging an audio event, which was annoying. I’ll be using that again when I edit some other parts so I hope it isn’t a bug.

I love the new layout, smaller icons for window navigation leaves more real estate for editing. Lovely. I must also be the only one who likes the big babyish font used on track names. You can’t miss them now.

What else… I’m really pleased with the long-awaited bass amp sim. I’ve always been a fan of the VST Amp Rack and am glad to see a good bass amp in there now. The improved tuner with the strobe mode in the VST amp rack is also welcome. It’s still too touchy, but way better that the wafty tuner in previous versions. If only there were as many mic choices in the guitar amp as there are in the bass amp. (Change request for v8.5 please?!)

Overall, I’m glad I upgraded, even though it was at the Steinberg website price of £82 when I then saw it for £59 at Gear4Music. Booo!

Good upgrade here. Feels stable and quicker opening plugins, mediabay, projects.
Great bass plugin, acoustic groove agent…really useable.

Download and try out next to your v7.5…

Significantly better for me! Highly recommended…

System is running great here. I’ve had a couple crashes on closing but very solid performance during work. I only ran 7.5 for a few weeks but 8 seems much quicker and sturdy. I’ve been using Cubase since it came out for Windows in the mid-90s. This is my first Macintosh rig and this is the most reliable DAW i’ve had so far. Very pleased! :smiley:

Just forgot to mention this, but there is one VERY annoying mistake added to the
“Right-Mouse-Click-Menu” in the arrangement view.

The Show/Hide Info menu option has somehow made it to the top of the menu AND the bottom.
This is extremely annoying because instead of selecting the “normal cursor”, I now select Show/Hide Info
100 times a day…

Please Steinberg, fix this in the first update!!

Should i start a seperate thread for this?

Big thumbs up here for CBP8. Audio performance is way better thanks to Asio Guard.

Low latency tracking, high buffer playback is a winning concept(although Logic has had this for many years).

GUI performance is so-so in my opinion, not terrible but not great either. Was the same on 7.5 so there is no noticeable degradation at least.

It´s definitely a step up from 7.5 anyway for me.

cheers

I hope it gave some of the mac users here some clarity and thank you all for contributing your time, knowledge and effort to providing a real world experience for the rest of us to follow

A major ‘Mahalo’ to Scott Lee for starting this topic but;
man this thread is starting to hurt!!!

‘Big Time’!

So many diff POVs.

Tanx for all the reports/work-a-rounds and suggestions guys.

Guess I’ll be waiting for quite a while till the dust clears. If ever.

{‘-’}

+1

What a major wuss am I!!!

Just after my last post I realized, I’m weak and I love new gear.
(also I found a way to get my credit card to work. heh)

I figure, the only way to know for sure about this C8p stuff is to: ‘dive in’!

Downloading now!

With soooo many great deals in software right now,
someone please stop me before I try to 'DOWNLOAD THE INTERNET!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What a major wuss am I!!!

{‘-’}

The problem is that even if your C8 works bad you will fall in love with VCAs and Render-in-Place and will not switch back to 7.5… and will have to deal with the glitches till (if ever) they are addressed.)))

Aloha s,

I see by your sig you are using OSX 10.8 with C8.
Kool! Glad it works there as well.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

:wink: Me as well… This last couple of weeks have been major DAW upgrades daily. I’m VERY happy with the new system, sorry to see some can’t get all the new software running. The current sale price on the Waves plug-ins in disgustingly temptational… I think I’ve got plenty to keep me busy right now though.

Not weak, but innovative

This is what I’ve found with C8. It has crashed a number of times on Project launches. It crashes quite a bit on Project closing…particularly if you try to immediately launch a new Project following the close. This was a problem in C7.5.30 as well.

The new crashing wrinkle for me in C8 has been making preset load or save calls within many 3rd party as well as Steinberg VSTi plugin environments. This would include both VST 2 and 3 devices. I’d get this rarely on 7.5.30…but nothing like the frequency I get 'em on C8.

In this regard, C7.5.20 rates a higher stability level than C8. Particularly on the issue of the “disappearing click bug”, a known (and so far) unfix-able problem for Steinberg. ASIO Guard still doesn’t help much with getting through a recently launched Project without dropouts.
And would it kill them to make the VST Rack smaller? It eats up too much screen space no matter how they try and make it fit.

To me, this is not so much a step up from C7.5 but a step sideways.

So far, the only real improvement in C8 is the ability to _finally_organize VSTi and VSTfx libraries. That, I like.

Aloha guys and +1. BIG TIME!

1-Crashed the 1st time I opened it after installation.
2-Rebooted the 'puter and C8P opened just fine.(64bit)
3-Started a new project (with no 3rd party plugs) and did a bunch of work (audio and MIDI) and all was fine.
Seemed solid. No crashes or probs while working, Smooth.

but

4-Next day (this morning) tried to open that same work and nada.
5-I tried all the tricks/tips etc and still C8P would not open.
Either with the new project or just alone by itself.

6-Then I put C8P in 32bit mode and things are working again.
No crashes with the new project or opening or closing C8P.

7-Still on 10.9 (Mavericks) here and that should not make a difference; but maybe it does.

Will try again later with some older (and much larger) projects but I don’t think they will work
while using C8P in 32bit mode because of less memory availability.

Time will tell. Still sharpening my ax here.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

Hi All,

I took the leap. Crossing fingers. Downloading now :slight_smile:

I’ve made the leap directly from 6.5 to 8 so obviously for me the difference is huge. I’m using a fresh Yosemite boot drive.

• Project load times are insanely fast compared to 6.5. It’s a joy to use.
  • Occasional crash, nothing major. There is a notable incompatibility of the Steinberg Hub which crashes the whole application if you have Default Folder installed on your Mac.
  • Selecting a different track during playback causes a one-second silencing of all audio output, sometimes followed by total loss of audio sync (digital noise) which is continuous and isn’t resolved by stopping and restarting playback. It is most often remedied by simply selecting another track (during playback) and after the silence the audio comes back normally. A pain but I can’t still work. I’m using VEP on the same machine so I don’t know if this happens with other types of tracks (it never happened with 6.5). [EDIT: It’s an apparent incompatibility between VEP & ASIO Guard, see here and here].
  • The snap behaviour I posted about seems to be half-implemented and it’s a shame.
  • I got the “video device unavailable” or something a couple of times when working with a video track. Annoying but not fatal.

Overall quite happy with the upgrade. The project load times alone are life-changing (sort of).

Cubase 8 load and save faster than 7.5 but a lot of bugs still there :frowning:, wait 8.01 for old bug fixing… Im no Mac Pro late 2010 6 core and 24gb ram and RME Fireface UFX. System is Mavericks.

Greetings fellow Musicians.

So I’ve used Cubase 8.0 for now a few days, and have my own list to provide. So far Im in love with the software with a few minor hitches.

Pros:

1. Performance. For me personally, I’m seeing excellent results! This would be with Asio Guard 2.0 on high mode. On average a 30% CPU performance gain on songs I’ve worked on now for months within Cubase 7.5.2.
  2. Stability under Yosemite. Rock solid so far. I suspect a lot of the stability problems come from 3rd party plugins. Also I always remove the hub and video service from cubase. I’m a apple developer so had a chance to use cubase 7.5.2 since the first beta of Yosemite. 8 turning out nice so far.

Cons:

Install missed Groove agent ONE and possibly other needed 7.5 sound libraries?
A bit disappointed with tempo detection. Its been a hit and miss so far but not a huge deal.

So far I’ve been very pleased! Take it though we a grain of salt, time will always tell as we discover more. Happy Cubasing!

Best Regards,