Mackie/MCU Diagram (jpeg) with Equivalent labels, Note Numbers and Note Names (For Reference)

I don’t know if this is of any use to anyone, now or in the future. But i’ve been working on trying to get MCU emulation running on Komplete Kontrol S mk2 keyboards.

To help me with the mapping i sketched over the standard template for Cubase, and included the standard MCU labels, MIDI Note numbers and MIDI note names - so i can cross reference within the one image.

It only covers the function controls on the right, because faders, v-pots etc. are more standard and follow MCU protocol as labelled on the device itself.

4 Likes

Hi,

The very same diagram is available for example here.

1 Like

I started using that sheet and it was causing me confusion lol, hence why i mocked something up for Cubase.

It’s based around Digital Performer is the main problem, i.e. if you want to know the MIDI Note (G#5) for ‘Instrument’ mode it’s shown as Save or Cancel on that sheet. So you’d have to cross reference the end column to an image of the MCU and Cubase template to see the equivalent.

Plus, depending on different hardware the octaves may differ when the only reference is note names. i.e. middle C = Note 60, But could be called C3, C4 or C5 depending on manufacturer.

i.e. two differing articles on what the ‘standard’ is:-

http://computermusicresource.com/midikeys.html

So i added MIDI Numbers too, really helps if you’re trying to emulate an MCU controller - as it fits in with coding conventions better, because it’s an absolute value that directly relates to the MIDI Data being communicated.

3 Likes

@skijumptoes thank you so much for this. i just started trying to tease out the cubase specific functions for these. very helpful!

@Martin.Jirsak : your posted sheet link has errors, it is like skijumptoes says, this mapping does not match Cubase mapping.

I have the complete MCU implementation here for you:

Granted it is 100% accurate, as i used it for my own C4->MCU conversion with Bome Midi Translator. I did not include Midi Notes only Midi Numbers, since notes are more prone to make errors while developing (at least for me).

Sidenote: please do not forget to convert decimal to hex values, depending what tools you use for developing.

3 Likes

Wow this is a really nice layout.
I wish I had this 2 weekends ago, when I literally typed in all of these after midi monitoring my controller to figure out all the bits and pieces.
This would’ve saved me reverse engineering the sysex for the display as well haha.

Thank you. If you want to type, here is more for the display:

Just replace ID 17 with 14 (for a MCU display). The sheets are for a Mackie C4 project from my manual.

Thanks :slight_smile: But yeah I made my own parser and converter to send text to my X-Touch One controller.
Made a function that either stretches a long text across the entire thing, or 2 separate rows, or the same text duplicated across 8 columns (my controller just has a single tiny 8 character wide display, so depending on selected track I wont see all text necessarily, so I opted to make a way to print the same text repeated).

Thanks for that!

It’s so cool you guys can manipulate the display text.

I tried to do something similar to reFuse’s Mulligan, an onscreen MCU HUD, from the MCU output but I’m no programmer.

Instead I made a macro with autohotkey that grabs the text from the remote control editor and puts it in a GUI. Super duper ultra crude but it works!