Make Playing Techniques Available via Direct Keycommands with a Lua Library for ConsoleTools

As another collection of readily available Lua scripts for use with the ConsoleTools Lua framework, I today publish the Playing Techniques Tool Library. It provides a number of tool functions dealing with creating and editing Playing Techniques. Some of its functions mirror commands available through Dorico’s user interface; others can be used to set properties for Playing Techniques. These tools are overall simple, but offer convenient ways to customise and streamline your workflow with Playing Techniques.

The library also addresses a longstanding user request, making it possible to effectively assign keycommands for the application of individual Playing Techniques, by simply setting up a custom tool from the respective popover string.

GIF – Create Playing Techniques via keycommand:

PTs via keycommand

GIF – Streamlined property setting:

streamlined PT properties

You can download the library below. The zip file contains the actual Lua script, and a PDF with the complete documentation:

ConsoleTools Tool Library - Playing Techniques 1.0.zip (503.1 KB)

Note: Do not try to run the lua file directly in Dorico (via the Script menu). You will need the ConsoleTools framework in order to use the library. However, the free limited version will suffice to try it out. You can find more information about ConsoleTools in this thread.

Feel free to ask any questions about the library here. (Any questions specifically about ConsoleTools should be posted in the thread about the framework itself, though.)

As before, it should be noted that this library is somewhat of a “public beta”. If you find that something does not work as should be expected from the documentation, please feel free to get in touch with me. Further down the road, I plan to re-include the library (with any bug fixes) in a larger one, which will offer a variety of other script-enhanced Dorico tasks.

7 Likes