Use Advanced Filtering in your Workflow with a Lua Library for ConsoleTools

I recently published the ConsoleTools Lua framework, to make Lua scripts more accessible. Without any scripts to run on it, though, the framework is not of much use. And while it should make things a bit easier for anyone who wants to write their own scripts, most users simply would like to have some ready-made scripts to pick from.

With that in mind, I today publish a Lua library for filtering in Dorico. When used together with ConsoleTools, it provides a convenient way of applying several kinds of filter operations, some of which are otherwise very cumbersome, or even impossible. The library enables you, among other things, to:

• Filter in Engrave Mode
  • Combine Filters, like requested in this thread
  • Toggle “Select Only” / “Deselect Only” via a simple keycommand
  • Filter for any note of a chord, from the top and the bottom
GIF –Filtering in Engrave Mode:

selecting dynamics in Engrave Mode

GIF – Selecting Notes and Rest:

deselecting everything but notes and rests

For now, the place to get the library is this very thread. The zip file contains the actual Lua script, and a PDF with the complete documentation:

ConsoleTools Tool Library - Filters 1.0.zip (312.2 KB)

Note: Do not try to run the lua file directly in Dorico (via the Script menu). You will need the ConsoleTools framework in order to use the library. However, the free limited version will suffice to try it out. You can find more information about ConsoleTools in the link at the start of this post.

Feel free to ask any questions about the library here. (Any questions specifically about ConsoleTools should be posted in the thread about the framework itself, though.)

Lastly, it should be noted that this library is somewhat of a “public beta”. Having added improvements up to the last moment, I quite probably have also added some bugs. So if you find that something does not work as should be expected from the documentation, please feel free to get in touch with me. Further down the road, I plan to re-include the library (with any bug fixes) in a larger one, which will offer a variety of other script-enhanced Dorico tasks.

5 Likes