Media Bay slow as hell

The media browser in the right zone in project window is veeeery slow compared to Cubase 10.5. It shows me immediately like 10 results and I have to wait for the rest like 10 seconds. Very disappointing and flow breaking when I have an idea and know exactly where to look, it just stops me and eventually the idea could get lost. I have my samples folder marked as favourite and the main Media Bay says it’s scanned completely. But the problem persist.

3 Likes

It seems to work fine and fast on my system.

Has never worked quick enough for me, i usually wait 4 seconds for a few results and up to 10-15 seconds for the rest of the results to load.
This goes for .vstpresets in the dropdown of a synth also.

Since cubase 8 i have had a slower than it should be mediabay :frowning:

Sorry to hear that about your experience.

To be fair, I should say, I’m hosting all of that content on fast SSDs.

Are you?

I’m using HDD, but that doesn’t change anything if it worked fine in 10.5.
I tried to do a Quick Scan, Deep Scan, multiple times, restart with no avail. Even HDD is not that slow to wait 10 seconds to show a folder content

A few times that happened I have moved the preferences files out and let Cubase rebuilt it and it is solved.
After that I have put back my customized preference files only.

Mac Mojave and Catalina

1 Like

Hi,

I am having this problem again. Media Bay window and Side Browser is really slow when showing my content. It was instant before. When I select a sample folder it waits 2 seconds then shows some files, 2 seconds later shows the rest. Deleting preferences and rebuilding database did not help this time. I have tested with 2 different SSD and internal SSD on iMac with Catalina 10.15.7 and Cubase Pro 11.0.20

Thanks for the help in advance.

Nothing has changed, maybe it’s even worse…just watch

I can’t work like this

Mine is not this slow but annoying nonetheless. Yours is not usable at all.

Other users have reported that it helped to delete the mediabay3.db file in the user folder. The next time Cubase is started, this file will be rebuilt.
See e.g. here:

Presetssuche im Plugin dauert sehr lange - Auf Deutsch / Cubase - Steinberg Forums

do you have your files across many drives? I had problems with rather slow media bay once I added samples on more then 1 drive. I took a long time for me to figure it out, but once I did the “create volume database” by right clicking on every drive I was using and picking that option everything got back to quick searches. Also you could try to reduce your “maximum items in results list” from 10000 to something lower like 3000

Yes tried it to no avail. Also trashed all prefs. It used to work before though.
I have checked it with my Laptop and that seems fine. So the problem seems to be something to do with my iMac installation. Maybe should re install everything Cubase related.

I use single drive but will try the result limit thing.
Thanks!

Anyone else has tips on this?

My media bay is extremely slow, on a very fast system, just two NVME 960 Evo drives 2GB each

I do have very big collection presets, midiloops and vstsound…is there a max on this?

This is still a big problem in C12.

The Media Browser in the Right Zone showed everything INSTANTLY in C10.5, seeing that it was slower in C11 I went back to C10.5. Weeks ago I decided to jump to 12 and I see it’s still the same.

If I go back to C10.5 it loads every folder and every sample instantly.

Can anyone please help me?

have you built indexes (don’t quite remember the exact name) for every drive you have? I had many problems thru the years until I realized that was the problem. I would always have a quick media bay if I had a fresh windows installation and no backups of anything. Just fresh install, then when I started to add samples mediabay would start to choke - that was the same since Cubase version whatever I had. then when I did right click on each drive I had to build an index for each drive my mediabay would be quick like starting fresh.