Metric modulation workarounds

I see that older forum entries on metric modulation state that there is as yet no metric modulation feature in Dorico, but this forum post – Go to the Tempo section of the right panel (in Write mode) - states that Dorico does support it, so long as none of the time values used involve tuplets of any kind. (And it’s great to see that the metric modulation that Dorico does support involves not only the displayed text, but the actual metric modulation itself.)

However, am I correct in understanding that forum posts on all Dorico metric modulation workarounds involve the displayed text alone, and have no effect on the actual metric modulation? If that’s the case, is it up to the user to calculate the resulting tempo change and input that as a tempo change?

Finally, the only third-party font/glyph I’ve so far used has been Dan Kreider’s excellent MusAnalysis, so I’m wondering if there is a video anywhere that shows where to find, how to install, and properly use the fonts necessary to create the text display workarounds for metric modulation.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

So long as your mod does not include tuplets, the panel at the bottom of theTempo Tool seems to work fine both for display and playback.

metric

Thanks, Derrek – yes, that’s a great feature, that I’m already using. It’s how to go about it when it involves tuplets that I need to learn.

MusGlyphs or Metrico in System Text combined with a hidden tempo change (until the Development Team comes up with a true solution).

Thanks, Derrek!

Pardon my inexperience with this, Derrek, but I’m having trouble figuring out which files to download at the Metrico GitHub page, and I wonder if you can help, please.

The Metrico main page (at GitHub):

From the above, are these (with red check marks) the relevant files to download?

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure @dan_kreider will chime in shortly, as he knows far more about the in’s and out’s of the font than I.

You only need the metrico.otf file.
On Win10 go to settingspersonalizationfonts and drag the otf file onto the add fonts box.
Personally I prefer MusGlyphs.

I find GitHub very confusing. But Metrico works great. If you want MusGlyphs, you can download it from Notation Central. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

1 Like

Amen to that. I tried downloading something the other day and was totally flummoxed and gave up. (And I consider myself reasonably tech-savvy.)

Thanks, everyone!

@dan_kreider

Dan, if using your MusGlyph fonts to create metric modulation indicators for a single-instrument project, would it be worthwhile to create a generic one as a common Playing Technique (which can always be quickly modified according to the specific situation)?

If so, are there any controls in the Playing Technique editor that can change the sizes of glyphs entered?

Many thanks!

Sure, I suppose you could create a playing technique easily enough. The best way to control sizing would be to place each glyph one at a time, and then each one can be resized independently as needed.

1 Like

Thanks, Dan!

Do you happen to know if there’s a way of changing glyph size within the Playing Techniques editor other than by manually dragging the glyph size/position in the editor window? (I’m thinking of some kind of point size or percentage control.)

Thanks again.

Yes, in the panel below, IIRC.

1 Like

Many thanks!
I was trying to resize using the “scale” parameter for “X” rather than the one for “Y” (which works perfectly).