MIDI Import Options for Piano

My MIDI file has two tracks for piano, one for the left hand and one for the right. How can I setup the MIDI Import Options so that both tracks go to their respective upper and lower staff of the piano, without being altered by the automatic hand splitting algorithm?

I can’t say for sure this is the only way, but I’d recommend simply importing them as plain single-staff instruments. Then add a piano piayer. You can select the entire first staff using Select to End of Flow and copy-paste it into the RH staff, then do the same with the LH staff, and delete the original imports.

This is what I’ve been doing so far. I’m just wondering if there’s a better way. I really love the new MIDI Import Options, except that it doesn’t seem to support piano (from 2 MIDI tracks) and timpani (into a No Key Sig player).

You can tell Dorico to import the music from multiple tracks to the same instrument. When you open the MIDI file and the MIDI Import Options dialog appears, click the button to show the Advanced Editor. This will show the Players in Dorico project list on the right-hand side that will show that two pianos are going to be created. Select the second track that corresponds to the piano, and then in the Players in Dorico project list, select the Piano 1 instrument. This will tell Dorico that both tracks should be imported to the same instrument, and the Piano 2 instrument will disappear from the Players in Dorico project list.

One slight caveat with this is that Dorico can’t currently apply all of its clever polyphonic voice detection to the music for piano that comes in via two tracks, so you might find the result a bit less clearly notated than it would be if it had been imported from a single track. If this is a problem, you can always re-export the MIDI file from Dorico having brought the music in on a single piano instrument, then re-import it again.

1 Like

Thank you @dspreadbury. This is what I tried at the beginning and the Left/Right hand distribution from the two MIDI tracks was not preserved. The MIDI of both tracks was just merged and the split-point settings were applied on top of it. Can you please consider this 2-track piano workflow as a feature request for MIDI Import Options?

2 Likes

The answer of dan_kreider let me :neutral_face: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
I don’t believe what I read. but the most incredible thing is that such a simple import option is impossible to do with Dorico’s super smart midi import.