MIDI keyboard setup

New Dorico user. Anything I need to configure in Dorico to let it recognize / use a MIDI keyboard? I have an M-Audio Keystation 61 connected, but not getting any note input.

1. No error warnings from Windows.
  2. M-Audio claims that the model is compatible with all versions of Windows.

is your device connected and turned on before you start Dorico? Dorico only scans for new devices at startup.

Thanks, andgle! I rebooted Dorico and it worked like a charm.

I am using the new Dorico 2. I can’t seem to find where Dorico recognizes the MIDI keyboard. Input does not work and apparently it is not scanning at startup like Dorico 1 would—but, in any case, where does one see that the device has been recognized? Nothing in Device setup, nothing in Preferences (except for a checkbox on using mouse for input). And why is this missing from the help section? GRRRRR

I’m sorry you’re having problems, Markcava. It really should be as simple as quit Dorico, ensure your MIDI keyboard is plugged in, start Dorico. Then to actually input, make sure you have the caret showing in the staff: select a note or rest and hit Return to show the caret, then play a note on your keyboard. Hopefully it will be input into the score, and you’ll be off to the races.

1 Like

Could you consider adding a ’ Scan for MIDI devices’ function so that one wouldn’t have to quit Dorico when a keyboard is added? DAWs such as Cubase have no problem with a keyboard added or changed while the program is on.

3 Likes

As a matter of fact, I noticed that if I turn on my keyboard while Dorico is already up and running, I can use it flawlessly… I might be lucky!

2 Likes

Just spent last two hours playing around with Dorico trying to get keyboard ( coming into PC W10) via Midisport Anniversary Edition). No luck at all. Not a sausage. Just upgraded to Dorico 2. Dorico 1 was fine.
Cubase 9.5 works fine with midi input - Have tried every variety of switching on/off in every order I can think of. Dorico resolutely refuses to respond to keyboard input - both the notation input and the Halion SE3 sound engine that seems to switch on whether I want it to or not. ( Aside - I am a musician and can hear scores in my head. Playback is useful afterwards for proof"hearing" a score but when inputting, why can’t I just have the graphics?)

When I load Cubase and Dorico at the same time, Cubase plays from MIDI keyboard; as do NI plugins - proving MIDI is getting into the computer, while Dorico is present. But it Dorico still doesn’t respond to MIDI input.

I have noticed one strange thing that might be a clue - When Dorico is fired up BY ITSELF (ie not alongside Cubase) the green activity light on the MIDISPORT stops completely - almost as if Dorico is switching off the MIDI output from MY keyboard.

If I fire up Cubase, the green light comes on again, and I can play MIDI into Cubase - all works perfectly.

Close Cubase - MIDI activity light still works when I press keys.

Fire Up Dorico and the Green activity light goes dead. Playing notes on keyboard does nothing. I’ve don’t this several times now and noticed that the green light is active during Dorico’s switch on routine, up until the bit where the panel says it is initializing the audio engine.

I can’t find any settings in Dorico that tell me anything about its MIDI status or how to set MIDI up. This is such a basic need that the program is useless to me without it. Please help!

1 Like

And you’ve definitely got the caret visible in the staff… by selecting a note/rest then Return?

1 Like

Paul’s (extremely) recent post on a similar subject might help: CME XKey Air on Windows 10 - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

1 Like

No, must be something different, because with Cubase it does work.

Please do the following: Stop all programs and just start Dorico, then choose from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report. That will create a zip file on your desktop. Please post it here.

1 Like

Paul’s post is regarding a MIDI keyboard that works with other applications, but not with Dorico. Ulf, how is this different?

Thanks for the replies - Yes I did (many times!!) check the caret was there. I also found the enable MIDI input checkbox under the play menu - it was always enabled. (I’m so nervous about looking an idiot that I only come on forums if I’ve tried EVERYTHING! :slight_smile: )

Will try to generate that Log file now and post.

1 Like

Hi Ulf -
attached is the zip file of the Dorico diagnostics as you ask.

Thanks for your help!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.18 MB)

1 Like

Not quite sure who’s replying to what here, but to clarify:

I’ve tried different USB ports: some of them are straight into the motherboard; some are on a PCIe card; some are on a USB hub. All behave the same; I’ve also re-installed drivers for Midisport.

Works flawlessly with Cubase; used to work with Dorico 1.

I suspect it’s something to do with the Halion Sonic SE3 plug in: when that starts to load as part of the Dorico launch process, the MIDI activity lights on the Midisport go dead and playing keys on my keyboard no longer lights that up. Looks like its switched the Midisport “off” - the power light stays on but all activity from the Midi indicator lights stops. (I’ve tried using port B as well before anyone asks!)
Then when I start to use Cubase, it all starts up again.

If I could launch Dorico without launching Halion Sonic SE3 I would try that - but I can’t see a way of doing that.

This is quite mystifying. There’s no way that Dorico is (directly) able to turn any activity lights off on your device. Halion sonic SE shouldn’t have any effect on this - it’s an audio VST plugin and has no direct access to the midi device (the audio engine passes midi data to it). Some things to check:

• do you have any other apps running at the same time as Dorico? Ensure there aren’t any that use midi
  • is there a control panel app of some type for your device? If so, is it possible that it has some special mode for Cubase?
  • are you able to play back scores in Dorico? If not then that suggests the audio isn’t set up which has an effect on the signal flow
1 Like

Did you make sure “Enable MIDI input” is checked? At the bottom of Edit + Preferences.

1 Like

Rubberfingers - Thanks but yes - I did mention this in an earlier post :slight_smile:

Paul,

Hi Paul,

Can promise I’ve tried it with no apps running apart from Dorico.

The M-Audio Midisport 2x2 (anniversary Edition (ie the latest model, compatible with Win10, which I why I bought it to replace my old Roland UA25) is a very simple MIDI to USB interface - one of the commonest out there, I would say. I’m pretty sure there is not control panel or other acces to parameters that might be altered. Would be interesting to know what interfaces others use.

Scores (created with Dorico 1 before I upgraded last week) play back fine.

I (in my non-scientist’s way!) understand that a signal flow from a keyboard to a piece of software shouldn’t allow the software to affect the hardware, but I’ve seen with my own eyes many times this evening the following two patterns happen, consistently:

Load Cubase: lots of flashing lights on interface, throughout launch process; then green light on the correct channel when I send MIDI data to the DAW ( viz., by pressing a key on my keyboard)

Load Dorico: Flashing light for PART of launch process; by the time Halion SE3 window has appeared, all activity on the MIDI interfaces has halted ( though the POWER light - separate from the signal light - stays lit) When Dorico is loaded, pressing the keys on the keyboard no longer lights the signal; light on the interface - ie no MIDI is going through it.

I quite used to troubleshooting problems with standalone software like Reaktor/Kontakt ( I have NI Komplete) But in those cases I see MIDI flshing on the interface, so I know the MIDI date is at least getting as far as the interface, and I need to find a setting in the software to alter.

I thought this would be the same, but a) there seems to be nothing in Dorico to monitor or tell the user whether Data is being received (other of course than the total failure to work which isn’t very useful as a diagnostic tool!) and b) It does seem to me that something is happening that is telling the keyboard or the interface to stop transmitting MIDI data. ( My keyboard is a Kawaii MP 9500 piano and I (have just realized) don’t have the midi IN connected.

Is it possible that there is some sort of handshake routine between Dorico and the Keyboard or interface that is failing and causing the Midi generating keyboard to shut up shop if it doesn’t get the right response from its target?

The problem vanishes without any intervention (don’t need to reboot or anything) if I simply open Cubase after Dorico has failed.

Thanks for being bothered about this - it’s driving me mad. ( But not back to Sibelius yet!)

1 Like

Have now tried with MIDI connected in both directions - ie Out from keyboard AND in, just in case there was some Sys or other routine that something in the system was expecting. But no change.

I have watched Anthony’s video about playback problems - and I find that when I open my VST instruments panel from the play menu Dorico has loaded everything I have: not just Halion SE3 and Symphonic Orch but Grove Agent, Padshop, Retrologue, and most bizarrely of all my Vienna Instruments Ensemble plug ins.
I’ve never told Dorico about any plug ins - - presume it’s finding them because it’s looking in the VST plugins folder that Cubase uses.

I now suspect the VSL plug ins - I had an experience a while ago when I couldn’t get MIDI into a standalone version of Contact, and I found that it was showing its MIDI Input on channel ON as Vienna Instruments Symphonic Library. I was able to change it to MIDI interface and problem solved. There doesn’t seem to be anywhere in Dorico to perform a similar change. So it may be that once VSL loads, it elbows its way into the MIDI input slot. But How do I prove it? Dorico won’t let me see…

Obviously I don’t want or need all those plug ins and VST instruments when I’m using Dorico - more than happy with Basic HalionSE sounds. I’ve tried looking at my plugin folders and .ddls but can’t see where Dorico is getting VSL library from. I’d try simply removing it, but obviously I need it when I’m in Cubase. Is there away of making sure Dorico only loads Halion SE and doesn’t load anything else?

Sorry for me jumping in:

since a couple of weeks (since Version 2?) I am having problems with my MIDI keyboard not reliably being recognised by Dorico.
Quite often I have to replug the MIDI USB cable, then quit and reopen Dorico so I can input music. I do not remember having had problems like this on a regular basis before.
In Sibelius I would actively search for connected MIDI devices to sort things out, in Dorico things are supposed to work automatically…
Today even replugging and restarting Dorico did not help. So I (on Mac 10.11.6) opened Audio-MIDI-Setup and did a new search in the MIDI-Studio panel. This had the effect that I could actually play notes on the MIDI keyboard with Audio feedback from Dorico/Halion. But still I could not input music. So I had to restart Dorico again to finally get it to work. Why is this? Could it be a problem if Sibelius is open in the background (‘stealing’ the MIDI port)?
Thank you for help.
btw, it is a simple USB-MIDI keyboard “eKeys-49 USB MIDI Keyboard”