Mixdown files not accessible in android/data/steinberg folder

I have a Cubasis 3 question. I recently acquired a new tablet with Android 11 to record rehearsals in Cubasis 3 with a IK Media iRig Mic Cast HD. I get great results and I really enjoy Cubasis.

One thing that is not so great… In Android 11 you can not access the root Android Data folder, where the mixdowns from Cubasis go. This is a frustrating thing to me, my normal worklow was to get the WAV file, put it in another folder (matching one of the band names) and use a simple other app to convert the WAV to a mp3 to share easily with the other band members via WhatsApp.

You can ‘share’ a file from within Cubasis, and I did upload one to my Google drive, to download it again, but then the format changed, the WAV to mp3 converter did not open the WAV file.

I can not get the Cubasis share option to direct to that converter, nor can I share the WAV file to another folder that is accessible directly.

So. Is there a way to direct the mixdown to another folder than android/data/steinberg?

Sorry for my lengthy post. :relaxed:

[edit] I can send the WAV via Bluetooth to my cell phone… But it takes a loooooong time😂

Hi @M.R_Nijboer,

Please check the following information :

Google
https://support.google.com/android/answer/9431959?hl=en

Cubasis Help (see “Access through an Android file manager” chapter)
https://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubasis/Cubasis_3_Web_Help/MEDIA.html

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

1 Like

If you cant get android’s internal file explorer to work, use X-plore from the playstore

I have tried two different file managers, neither have been able to access the mixdowns. Additionally, I don’t think using a third party file manager will necessarily mean other apps will have access either if they still use the default system file navigator.

Really not sure why (as others have asked) Cubasis can’t allow for choice of mixdown location. Many people have had this issue for years, it’s quite frustrating.

Are you android?

If you go to mixdowns in cubasis 3’s media bay and you highlight a mixdown, the"share"button lights up… >share< → “more”… there you can see which apps you can share to and thus which apps have permission to access the cubasis mixdown folder.

Storage > (emulated > 0) > Android > data > com.steinberg.cubasis3 > files > cubasis3 > mixdown
Thats the folder hierarchy to the mixdown folder of cubasis.

Hi @Temp0rally.yours

Happy New Year 2024!

In addition, please take a look at the MediaBay chapter of the Cubasis in-app help to learn more about file handing on Android.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

I have similar issues with the mixdown file sizes. Please check

In the first place the issue is that Cubasis on Android doesn’t support compressed formats such as MP3. If files were simply smaller the ‘Send-to’ feature would probably work well.

Did forgot to add the link to the “MediaBay” chapter of the help:

https://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubasis/Cubasis_3_Web_Help/MEDIA.html

Best,
Lars