Money, money, money...

Great! :open_mouth:
Today, a new user buys the program for 559 €.
I paid at that time €579 for dorico. To do this, the update for 99,99 € would be now.
So I must pay for the same program, which today costs 559 €, almost 679 € !!!???
Steinberg, you can see the customers still in the eyes?

How else do you expect it to work? Free updates forever?

A new license is the same price today as it was when Dorico 1.0 was released: €579 if you buy the boxed version with the USB-eLicenser included, and €559 if you buy the download version with no USB-eLicenser.

We have delivered a lot of functionality in free updates to Dorico 1.x, and we were completely up-front about the fact that the next update after Dorico 1.2.10 would incur an update fee. I believe the update fee is fair for the improvements that we have delivered with this update, but in the end you must make the decision as to whether or not the new features are worth the money we are asking for them. If you’re not sure, please wait for the trial version when it is available to try it out for yourself and make an informed decision.

You already own Dorico, so to upgrade to the new version will cost you 99.99€. What’s wrong with that?

It sounds like he’s upset that for him the journey to Dorico 2 will cost a grand total of 679 € even though a new user will only pay 559 €.

It’s almost like he’s not taken into account the fact that having had access to Dorico for the past several months/years is worth money. Maybe somewhere on the order of, oh… I dunno, 99,99 €… :confused:

He has a point. Family/senior members should get a better deal.

Remembering how up-front Daniel and the team were, in the beginning, had we waited for them to get the application fully running, they would not have had the money we paid, while we were beta testing with them. I think that earns us some good-will points, which should translate into a higher price for newcomers. The upgrade price is fair, but new comers shouldn’t benefit from our trust in Steinberg.

I am very-very discouraged that I bought this rubbish - Dorico for a lot of money. Almost everything can be done in Guitar Pro 7, only 10 times cheaper. Friends told me: buy Sibelius. I didn’t listen to them. I’d rather buy Sibelius. :frowning:((((

The vast majority of users here did NOT pay full price for Dorico 1, they paid a heavily discounted cross-grade price from Sibelius/Finale/Notion. Though the crossgrade price still exists, there’s the expectation that eventually it will be phased out, so new users will be paying a lot more than current users.

As to grumbling about paying 99 whatevers more than someone who’s coming to Dorico as a new customer, you’ve had the use of the software for potentially 18 months, including a number of significant free updates along the way (four? five?).

Been with Dorico since day one, and frankly, I’d personally feel a little uncomfortable in getting all the additional functionality of Dorico Pro without paying something.

Dear aveter,

Ok, the money is spent. I’m very much convinced you’ll change your mind once you’ve worked your way into the software and have upgraded your system to Win 10 to allow Dorico to work properly.
Are you aware of the fact that Sibelius can be regarded as Dorico’s predecessor, with the development team being basically the same? If you had bought Sibelius, you had bought old software with an outdated code basis. Dorico profits from the experience the development team has gathered in making Sibelius. Take a look at the Sibelius updates of the last 2 years – there are none! Nothing substantial.

On the other hand: If you are mainly a guitar player who doesn’t need full feature orchestration and composition tools, why didn’t you buy Guitar Pro 7 in the first place? Why even consider Sibelius?
Let me guess: Because – like me – you wanted to ride the big wave that Dorico is currently creating. And yes, as regards guitar notation, tabs, tools – Dorico is still behind. But Dorico feels indeed much more modern in many aspects, with many of its features being innovative and user-friendly.
Be prepared to be asked another 100 quits for the Dorico Pro 3 upgrade in 2019, and you will fully profit from the guitar specific tools that we can expect. Seeing what the software is able to do now gives me peace of mind. I can patiently wait until the team has come up with a profound solution for plucked (and slided) instruments. In the meantime, I start working with Dorico for ensemble work. Since v2 I can move to Dorico for jazzy stuff, too. Classical guitar notation (and TABs, that I don’t like that much) still needs to be done in Sibelius. But I’m prepared to move entirely to Dorico next year.

I think you are on the right track in the long run, your money is not wasted, and you will change your mind.

Take courage and all the best!

Eddo

Dear Eddo!
I bought Guitar Pro 7 a long time ago, and so far it is the only arrangement tool for me.
The fact that I have Win7 - fine. Dorico works as it should. I know that the authors of the Dorico is the former developers of Sibelius.
It is about the fact that for the price I do not see anything amazing! Everything that is done in Dorico has long been working in Sibelius. Those “delightful” Dorico features I implement in Guitar Pro 7, which is 10 times cheaper.
I will never accept that Dorico, which is worth a lot of money, does not use ReWire, does not have a metronome and many other.
Why am I buying Dorico a month ago, still have to pay 100 euros?! Why the developers moved on to version 2.x.x, not finished 1.2.x??? Do I always have to pay 100 euros for such innovations? Change version from N. x.x by N+1.x.x means fundamental changes in functionality and interface. Do you think that the developers have radically changed the functionality and interface??? What they did is version 1.3 , no more, which is bound to be free for owners of version 1.2 !!!
Sibelius has not been updated in a long time… So it is not necessary, because it is fully working!
You’re suggesting I wait until 2019, while Dorico will be able to do??? I have to work NOW!

Personally I think the upgrade price is reasonable and the new features easily justify a major version increment.

I think a longer grace period would be better, about 3 months is more reasonable.

There are still some things missing which the more mature competition has had for years such as playing trills.

In the end I paid full whack for Dorico even tho I have a full Sibelius and Notion license. I’m not so worried about this. The GST is a problem tho, Steinberg should not take GST without issuing a proper GST invoice, as now I can’t claim the GST back as I should be able to. Or it should accept a GST number and not charge it.

In the end even tho Dorico can’t do what Sibelius does, what it does do it does so much better I’m confident it’s just a matter of time until it’s far and away the best option for notation.

… And oviously you can, using GP, no?
It’s not that you have lost your GP license once you bought Dorico.

Please control your temper. The tone in this forum has always been a very polite one, and we would like to keep it this way.

Dear aveter,

I think that your comparison is a little unfair.
Firstly, Guitar Pro used to be aimed at guitarists, meanwhile it handles simple pop rock ensemble/band scoring. Dorico is a notation software for fully fledged orchestras, its development requires a far more profound knowledge of music theory, music notation and IT planning.
Secondly, Dorico is now in its second iteration while GP is v.7 and is far from creating aesthetically stunning results. And Arobas, too, have taken a very long time to move from v.6 to 7. IIRC it took them more than six years.

Regarding Sibelius/Finale (which I don’t use), yes, all the functions that are implemented in Dorico can be found in these programs, too, and obviously still many more. The difference is how functions are implemented, and it is in this field that Dorico (= its development team) merits a lot of respect. As has been said quite often in this forum, Dorico has much more future than its competitors, which on the other hand comes at the price of many functions not being fully implemented for the moment being. I for my taste love the implementation of those that are there and prefer the developers take their time to deliver something coherent and complete.

If you miss functions in Dorico, why did you buy it? You had an opportunity to test it during 30 days first.
But, hey, you can work with it right now. Fingering and barré is missing, ok, but if you need chord diagrams, there are third party solutions that you can use and import into Dorico, while the Dorico Dream Team is working on a proper solution.

Regarding update prices, I think you should be braced for 100 €/$ per year to get a major update, which corresponds to Steinberg update policy. There will be free dot-updates in between with bugfixes and, if the past practice is being continued, many new functions implemented at no additional cost. I think that is fair.

As far as grace periods / trial periods are concerned, that’s on different note, so to speak, see 4 Week Grace Period??? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums. I couldn’t agree more with Adrien on that topic.

And yes, I still think you made a good decision. All the best!

Dear aveter,

If you are still running Windows 7, the whole problem may be moot. You should probably wait for the trial version of Dorico 2 to see if you can even load and use it on Windows 7. By the time Dorico has all the features you want, perhaps you will have upgraded your computer (or at least its OS) so that the applicable version of Dorico will run smoothly with all the features you want.

If you have to work now, you should use what you have now. Making major program changes when you are working under deadline is a risky proposition.

GST = General? Sales Tax I suppose? VAT? TVA? MWSt?

Goods and Services Tax

Adrien, AskNet should have issued an invoice via email, possibly an hour or two after your purchased Dorico. The invoice they issued to me had their various VAT/TVA/GST numbers on it, the correct percentage and amount of VAT they had charged (given I’m in the UK), itemised as a separate line item etc.

What is insufficient about this? Why can’t you claim back the GST?

I’d be very happy to screenshot my invoice and blank out the private bits, in order you can see what you’re looking for.

I was looking for their GST number. It needs to have been issued by the NZ IRD. Maybe I didn’t look properly. Normal practise is to collect the customer GST number if they are a company and then not charge the GST so it then doesn’t need to be remitted, as bank fees can be significant for transfers.

Dear Eddo!
Unfortunately, I was not registered on the Steinberg website at the time of purchase of Dorico, and the ability to download a trial version appears only for registered users. I saw then a trial version, but it was too late, because I already bought Dorico. My mistake here. If I tried the trial version, I wouldn’t have bought Dorico.
I studied 10 years at music school, so I know musical notation. I write arrangements for rock bands, but it’s very strange that Dorico is only for “serious” Symphony orchestras, and it’s not an easy task for rock bands. Maybe Steinberg thinks, like you, that rock and pop music is not serious? This is weird… At least Sibelius can handle any task.
For example, I need to make an arrangement of a song for a ready vocal recording. With Dorico I can not do it, because there is no connection to ReWire. C and Sibelius I can, because there is a sync via ReWire with a DAW. Another strange thing is that one of the authors of the development of the ReWire Protocol is the company Steinberg
I’m just sorry for the money spent :frowning:
Do you think that a simple metronome is not necessary for composing a score for a Symphony orchestra? I think it will be added in the next release of the update for the next 100 euros :slight_smile: