Most important feature requests for Dorico 4

When inside a text frame, you can right-click for a context menu of available tokens. I think there are a couple of tokens not included that you’d have to refer to the reference document for, but the vast majority are available that way.

3 Likes

That was a really useful development - I use that all the time now.

1 Like

Perhaps there could be an “insert” icon of some sort that would allow us to select from the tokens list (available via right click as Lillie mentions) as well as the special characters available via copy&paste from the smufl directory; selecting such an icon would automatically insert it as “music text”.

1 Like

Thank you, Lilly, that’s what I was looking for! With Romanos401’s idea, this would be self-explanatory. Dorico is like looking for mushrooms for me sometimes - you have to work hard to see them. But then they taste wonderful… Thank you!

3 Likes

I was thinking again how handy it would be to have a pre-flight option that could highlight all collisions, or places where elements protrude beyond the page margin, so they could be easily identified and corrected before exporting or printing.

I remember suggesting this a long time back, so I guess it sounds like a bump, but it’s just a suggestion.

2 Likes

My number #1 improvement for Dorico 4 is to finally allow rests in condensed staves be vertically movable. Basically, the Rest pos. function is already there in ‘Notes and rests’ category but at the moment it seems to be bugged and doesn’t do anything for condensed staves.

It would be great to have an “Avoid collisions” property for instrument labels (1. a2 and so on). It would also be nice to be able to flip them above or below a staff like you can for dynamics and hairpins for example (because this usually automatically sorts out vertical staff spacing gaps). Situations like in this picture happen very commonly and are frustrating to sort out manually in the long run.

staff labels

2 Likes

I would like it if there was an optional setting to allow text boxes to be drawn beyond the page margins. I’ve run into situations where it makes sense for the music to have large margins (2” for example) but then text boxes can’t be placed extending into the very generous gap. This makes sense sometimes, like for labeling exercises, for instance.

3 Likes

Scaling accidentals separately from the noteheads.

Better Condensing for different instruments playing unison lines. (e.g. Oboe 1 and Violin 1, Tutti strings, etc)

Plus all the things that I don’t know I need yet until they’re introduced.

6 Likes

:smile:
Amen!

3 Likes

Shrink the music frame on your Master Page, not the page margin.

Sure, but that’s a real pain.

Not really. From his description, he’s making a custom Master Page anyway. Put your music where you want and your text where you want.

Not sure if this is already in this long thread, but I would very much like the ability to put accents anywhere in tie chains. Why this limitation exists surprises me. [Not everything is a piano.] Violins for example can easily do pulsing and accents in tied groups. This for example:

3 Likes

Andro, you can do this already.
One way would be: Unlock the tie chain, put the accents where you’d wish to have them, then Tie the notes again.

If the notes are all in the same voice, tie-ing will remove the accents. Put the notes in different (or perhaps simply alternating) voices, then tie. When they’re in different voices, you have to select all the notes you want to tie explicitly: you can’t just select the first note you want tied and press T.

3 Likes

That is indeed the solution, but it must be noted that it doesn’t work with beamed notes since notes from different voices cannot be beamed together.

They can be merged to the same voice after input.

Thanks! You are right. I still learn every day!

2 Likes

I know how to give the music large margins; the issue is I cannot extend text boxes beyond (sensibly chosen) default margin values, which would sometimes be useful. You can, perhaps somewhat ironically, shiftX text beyond the margins, however, which seems rather at odds with the limitations of text boxes.

Speaking of margins, this is something that I have always found a little puzzling. It probably isn’t a “Dorico issue” per se, but I thought I would mention it. A high percentage of the stuff I write ends up layout out nicely on 2 letter-sized sheets per part. When printed as individual pages I tape together, I find the note size ideal. One would think that, because ledger paper is exactly the size of two letter sheets side-by-side, if you print 2-up on ledger, all the printed features would be exactly the same as when printing two letter sheets, But when I save to PDF and then print using the “multiple” option of Acrobat reader, the notes (and everything else,) end up being much smaller. with huge margins.

I have “solved” this by simply changing my Dorico template to have very thin margins (.35"). But it seems like this shouldn’t be necessary.